Hello Guest

Air conditioning remove

• 20 Replies

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
Re: Air conditioning remove
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 11:37:32 AM »
Slip yolkes are the suck. If the rear end blows, I can't just disconnect the rear drive line, and drive home on FWD  :(

You can on samurais, just not on trackicks.  Unless you make a SYE for your trackick.

I also have a new rebuilt transmission to put in it. You can remove the engine and the trans as one unit (so I have been told) But I don’t know if it can be done with the A/C condenser in. If not then I will have a person drain the A/C and remove everything. If need be I will remove transmission from engine. 

I've never removed the engine and tranny as a unit, so I can't tell you what exactly needs to be done to get them out together.  It is really not hard to disconnect the tranny from the engine.....4 main bolts and 2 starter bolts is all that holds the tranny to the engine.

If you try to take the engine and tranny out as a unit.....know that if the driveshaft (intermediate shaft) between the tranny and tcase seals the backside of the tranny and keeps the oil in the tranny from leaking out.  So you either need to....1) drain the tranny before you attempt to remove it, or 2) unbolt the intermediate shaft from the tcase and make sure it stays stuck in the back of the tranny.  It just has a slip yoke on the tranny end of it, so when the tranny is tilted, it will fall out, if not tied/held in place and the oil will run out.

True dat..

Ewwww.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline beercheck

• Go Cards!
    • trivia-nights.com
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 11:37:56 AM »
I also have a new rebuilt transmission to put in it. You can remove the engine and the trans as one unit (so I have been told) But I don’t know if it can be done with the A/C condenser in. If not then I will have a person drain the A/C and remove everything. If need be I will remove transmission from engine. 

Removal of the 2.0.  All A/C plumbing was still connected and fully charged...

« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 11:41:05 AM by beercheck »
'03 ZR2 2dr Tracker, '02 XL-7 drivetrain and electrcs
XL-7 front coils
1.5" rear coil spacers
Monroe 32316 shocks w/2" extenders
235/70-16 Bridgestone Destination A/Ts on stock XL-7 Alloys RRO Rock Rails (Presently removed, as they rusted to all hell; all the bolts were rusted to dust.  Real nice, RRO...) http://www.trivia-nights.com

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2008, 11:47:07 AM »
You can on samurais, just not on trackicks.

I know. Another bonus of getting the doubler (samurai t-case mated to tracker) from RockRat  :) 

Unless you make a SYE for your trackick.

SYE?
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline Skyhiranger

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2008, 12:33:24 PM »

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2008, 02:53:05 PM »
Is that an adapter? I know going Kicker III or the Doubler from Rock Rat will get rid of the slip yoke... never seen a SYE from a vendor that I can remember?
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline Skyhiranger

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2008, 04:57:51 PM »
Is that an adapter? I know going Kicker III or the Doubler from Rock Rat will get rid of the slip yoke... never seen a SYE from a vendor that I can remember?

That is why I said make a SYE.  I don't know that anyone makes them, you will have to fab it yourself, if you want one.  There are a couple of guys on zuwharrie that have done it.....you should be able to find something over there, if you are interested.  Basically, what you do is drill and tap the end of the trackick tcase shaft and use a samurai flange on it.