Hello Guest

STEALTH MODE!!!!

• 3 Replies

Offline J-Ron

• when in doubt, straighten it out
STEALTH MODE!!!!
« on: August 22, 2008, 09:20:34 PM »
i took off my muffler long ago and enjoyed the glasspack sound that the 1.3 made naturally for quite some time. then about a week before sierra trek, i was driving over the summit and the deep resonating tone was instantly swapped out with a somewhat quieter buzz that i couldn't get to go away until it suddenly stopped all by itself.

unfortunately i cannot control this super power because it doesn't turn on when i'm tresspassing, yet it does when i'm trying to make a ruckus downtown....

i'm thinking that my catalytic converter is dying or something like that.

any other suggestions?

Offline tracker8v4x4

• cardomain
Re: STEALTH MODE!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 08:32:07 PM »
did it sound kinda like a major vac leak if so it prolly is the cat if u dont have emissions to pass just take somthing and pound threw the cat to get rid of all the insides and plus u will gain some horses

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 01:05:50 PM »
did it sound kinda like a major vac leak if so it prolly is the cat if u dont have emissions to pass just take somthing and pound threw the cat to get rid of all the insides and plus u will gain some horses

Whatever you do DO NOT breathe any of the crap that comes out of that cat!
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline daddyizzle

• Colorado is still my home!!
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 02:18:12 PM »
Better yet, cut the cat off and either put an after market one on, or splice a straight tube in place. You would be surprized what the recyclers will pay for that little cat. Probably over $50.00 on ebay. (Last I checked)

Here's my true story. I parted out a samurai. I went ahead and took the exhaust off but hadn't cut the cat off. You usually cut it about an inch from each end and take a picture of it with a ruler by it and say how much it weighs. Then say something like 95% full. (How someone figures that out, I don't know but that's what people say when they list them).

I took the picture of it still in line and listed on a Sunday evening. Got up Monday and cut the ends off with my Saw-zall . Low and behold, the Catalytic converter was empty. :o >:( I was pissed. Then  I realized that I had to run in and remove my listing before someone bid on it. Oh well. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

-Adam ;D
If all criminals were behind bars, there would be no one left to patrol the streets.

86 Samurai Tin-Top stock with a Harley 44 sidedraft carb