Hello Guest

Project UNIMOOKI

• 148 Replies

Offline mverley

• SPACE JUNK
Re: Project UNIMOOKI
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2009, 08:58:04 PM »
Awesome tech, Sewerzuk.  I have a 2000 2.0 5 spd Tracker that I have intentions of turning it into the next trail rig and I know I will want to change my tranny over to the toy trans when I do so.  When you can post up pix of how youdid the slave cylinder.

Eric

Thanks!  This little setup offers a TON of options for anybody running the 1.3, 1.6, or 2.0.  This setup would work behind a 1.3 or 1.6 almost completely bolt-on.  Toy boxes are the ideal choice for aftermarket support and options and cheaper than just about everything else.  For most people, the front output is on the correct side, too.  I needed to swap mine because of the 'mogs, but most shouldn't need to.
I'll post some pics of my slave cylinder linkage when I get a chance; I thought I took some when I had everything bolted up under the rig, but can't seem to find them now. 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 09:05:00 PM by sewerzuk »
My rig is a fusion of Jazz and Funk; I call it JUNK

Offline chevycotton77

• lets go whheellin
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2009, 07:59:48 AM »
that looks really good
96 2D Tracker stock, 30" BFG MTs, 6inch calmini combo soon :)

Offline JohnnyK.

« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2009, 02:30:06 PM »
Lookin Bad A$$$$!!  Keep the pics coming.......

Offline mverley

• SPACE JUNK
« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2009, 06:19:07 PM »
Finally had a few hours free to work on the mooki today; decided to get my steering arms ready.  Decided that the solid 3/8" plate was really overkill for my application, so I put my ironworker to work and punched some speed holes in the arms.  Doesn't look like much, but after holding the slugs in my hands I'll bet I shaved 5 lbs off of those things.  I also spent an hour or so with the die grinder shaving the castings down to accept the new steering arms.
I got a few jobs (finally) and feel like I have a few $$ to spend on my projects, so I'm going to order the ram, orbital valve, and rod ends this week.  Should be able to make some more progress soon...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 06:21:47 PM by sewerzuk »

Offline mverley

• SPACE JUNK
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2009, 05:21:21 PM »
Ordered all of my steering parts from Sean at Performance Off Road Systems www.performanceoff-road.com last week.
Should have everything in my hands by the end of next week...then I can get back to work  8)

I ended up ordering a 2.5"x10" double ended ram, heim joints for the steering links, a 9.7 cu in. LR orbital valve (sets my steering up at 3.4 turns lock to lock), and some misc. odds and ends (u-joints, brackets, etc.).  I'll post some pics of everything as soon as I receive it.

Offline v-stone

« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2009, 01:37:01 PM »
Do you have a finish target date?
SAS Tracker! No looking back now.

Offline mverley

• SPACE JUNK
« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2009, 03:36:45 PM »
Do you have a finish target date?

Not yet...but this summer sometime.  I had a few hours to work on it this weekend.  Did some more prep work for the steering on the axles and disconnected the airbags.  I'll be able to dive into it again in a few weeks.

Offline stuckhappens

« Reply #82 on: March 31, 2009, 03:53:19 PM »
can't wait to see that thing on the ground
1988 samurai tin top project ugly duckling

Offline mverley

• SPACE JUNK
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2009, 07:55:33 PM »
Well, I should be able to get some work done this weekend.  My Lefty case came in from Inchworm Gear tonight, so I should be able to assemble the entire powertrain now.  I'll take some pics as the work progresses and post them up after it is all together.  I'll take some measurements as well for those that might be thinking of using this combo  8)
I also called Sean at POS to find out when my steering parts would arrive.  Still waiting on the machine shop to make my clamps for the hydraulic ram, but everything else is ready to go so I should have a couple of boxes of steering parts in the next week or so.
For now, here are a couple of pics.  One is of the lefty case half, and the other is of the Trail Gear doubler adapter.  The lefty case is machined from a solid piece of billet aluminum and is looks amazing. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 07:57:49 PM by sewerzuk »

Offline 2_Dogs_Ink

• Yea, whatever....... .
« Reply #84 on: May 02, 2009, 01:07:21 AM »
Wow :o

Keep the updates coming along with pics.  Awesome build.  Good work.  Thanks for sharing. :)

Offline mverley

• SPACE JUNK
« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2009, 10:55:09 PM »
Well, it took a week of evenings but I got my drivetrain assembled.  Toyota W56 5 speed tranny, stock toyota reduction box with 2.28:1 gears, a Trail Gear doubler kit with 23 spline coupler, a 2nd toyota reduction box with 23 spline 4.7:1 gears, and an inchworm gear lefty case with Trail Gear twin stick shifters. 
The combo worked out better than I could have hoped for; looks like both of my driveshafts will be in the 30" range...plenty long enough.  The angles on them will be excellent...only a few degrees at ride height.  I managed to get the bottom of the tcase almost 4" above the bottom of the framerails, so ground clearance won't be any issue.  The only cutout in the cab will be hidden under the driver's seat (I'll box it in after I'm finished building the crossmember).  And yes, I plan on using something stronger than a hemlock 2x4. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 10:57:35 PM by sewerzuk »

Offline mverley

• SPACE JUNK
« Reply #86 on: May 04, 2009, 10:56:35 PM »
I also rolled the rear axle under the rig to check for clearances around it; still might have to build a custom fuel cell or at least move the existing tank, but it looks like it might work where it is.  18" of clearance under the diff!!!

Offline TopHeavy96

« Reply #87 on: May 05, 2009, 04:34:05 AM »
VERY NICE!!  I really like the hemlock crossmember ;)
96' Tracker 4-door, 16v, auto, open front, limited slip rear, Jeff1997's 2" lift with diff spacer, 95' mustang shocks, Calmini axle truss, BFG 30x9.5 mud-terrains on 15x8 "D"-windows, trimmed and banged fenders and bumpers, radio shack CB, Tom Tom GPS, 100w KC lights
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1097549855954

byusnowboarder

« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2009, 06:41:50 AM »
Looks really good!  I love how you tucked the t-case up in there, and I love how much ground clearance you have under your case.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #89 on: May 05, 2009, 09:49:12 AM »
Nice looking setup.  You should stain that new cross member with some water repelling stain before going on the trail though.  :D
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing