Hello Guest

My simple cargo area mod

• 8 Replies

Offline YellowZR2

My simple cargo area mod
« on: August 16, 2008, 05:01:27 AM »
I have an 02 tracker 2-door and it is a blast to drive around but it also is very easy for people with sticky fingers to reach into and difficult to secure things in so I did this.

We never have riders in the back and the rear seat bottom has been out for years  and with this enclosure I decided it was time to lose the rear seat belt towers to keep it all clean looking.

So I bought a sheet of 3/4" plywood and carefully cut and trimmed it to fit very tight at the upper rear plastic trim.
I used the seat belt tower upper mounting holes to attach a piece of 2"x 7-1/2" angle iron that supports the plywood.
The vinyl covering is a close enough match for me.

The front vertical piece is attached with several angle brackets and I left a small semi-circle to allow me to still use the side cubby holes if I want.
There is enough room to still recline the seats a bit and the space I left behind the front seats has been more usable than I thought it would be.

I carry my laptop with me a lot and thats the main reason I wanted a more secure storage space.
The four bolts holding the top deck on have nylok lock nuts so they cant just be unbolted easily.
I know its not totally secure (what is) but its still a far cry more secure than even a glass window. :laugh:

I do kind of wonder what might happen in an accident and also what it would sound like with some big woofers on the yellow vertical piece
02 Tracker ZR2 2 door (mostly stock-BORING)
05 trailblazer LS stock and staying that way-it's our tow vehicle.

Offline rascott

• tread lightly monkeywrench a little
Re: My simple cargo area mod
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 06:02:31 AM »
looks real fine.
i did something similar, but lower and with drawers.
with the gate locked it's pretty secure.
had to do something for the same reasons you mentioned- too many people w/defective morals.
i should figure out how to post pictures.
'89 kick w/little motor, still got pieces of jeff's pucks, stan's sticks into 4.24:1 tcase, 31x10.5x15's, rear lockrite, kick power steering, some radios(kj6esv), bmw seat, other changes just because. done on the cheap.
suzi the psychic gets me fishing.

Offline YellowZR2

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 06:27:14 AM »
Thanks.

I now know why the power locks dont open the rear DOH.
But since I removed the stock cargo cover almost from day one I never really thought about it locking the way it does.

I have a hard-wired in 700watt power inverter in it also.

There are a lot of things I'd like to do to it but money just isnt there for that stuff.

Offline beercheck

• Go Cards!
    • trivia-nights.com
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 01:31:40 PM »

I now know why the power locks dont open the rear DOH.
But since I removed the stock cargo cover almost from day one I never really thought about it locking the way it does.

I went ahead and added the automatic lock to my tailgate when I transfered the harness from the XL-7.  You've still got to do the "hit the button a 2nd time" routine, at least.
'03 ZR2 2dr Tracker, '02 XL-7 drivetrain and electrcs
XL-7 front coils
1.5" rear coil spacers
Monroe 32316 shocks w/2" extenders
235/70-16 Bridgestone Destination A/Ts on stock XL-7 Alloys RRO Rock Rails (Presently removed, as they rusted to all hell; all the bolts were rusted to dust.  Real nice, RRO...) http://www.trivia-nights.com

Offline YellowZR2

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 02:12:50 PM »
I would love to have it hooked up to the power locks but then all someone would have to do to get into the back cargo area is go thru the side window (very easy on my ragtop) and hit the door lock button.
Unless it can be hooked up to only work with the remote and not thru the vehicles door lock switch.
Even so as it is it is very secure and no one really knows whats in there since they cant see into it.

There are so many more things I want to do to this little car.(like $10-12K worth of stuff)
I bought it brand new on new years eve of 03.(just over 29k miles)

Offline v-stone

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 04:44:42 PM »
looks real good!
SAS Tracker! No looking back now.

Offline LilRed

• Webshots Photopage
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 06:40:50 AM »
That looks fantastic!!  A great idea!
some clips from The Wishbone Ranch
http://www.youtube.com/user/KyLilRed

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 12:22:02 PM »
Makes me wish I didn't need a back seat in mine 2nd gen.  :)

I added a generic electric lock to the rear of my Tracker, I wonder how hard it would be to splice one into the existing electrics and mount it on a 3rd gen Tracker.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline YellowZR2

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 06:51:35 PM »
Thanks guys.

I added some small white plastic hooks around the deck edge on top and got an elastic net to hold things up there when the windows/top are off.

I think I'm going to just leave it key locked and not mess with keyless for now but I do want to install a light up under there to make it easier to find things.
I'll just wire the light to work right off the dome light.