Hello Guest

power steering low pressure hose ?

• 5 Replies

Offline Ithaca_85

power steering low pressure hose ?
« on: July 17, 2008, 07:24:58 PM »
We can't get the low pressure hose on the sidekick to stop leaking.  The lower connection at the pump is the problem.  Is there anything we can put on the metal from the pump before we slip the hose on to make the connection leak proof or to help the rubber hose to make a better connection.  In the plumbing world you put on Teflon tape, what do you put on in the motor world??

Anyone have any ideas.  This leak is keeping me from getting the car on the road, not to mention some marital stress.  We have been working on the kick together how romantic....

Re: power steering low pressure hose ?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 09:23:59 PM »
I would give the teflon tape a try or pipe joint compound.  Worth a shot.  You might want to try locktite as well.  I just got some really neat locktite from autozone that is a gel with a twist applicator.  It applies very thick and after taking off a bolt coated with it the locktite left a really nice seal on the threads.  Could work?  Shouldn't need much as its low preassure anyway.

Offline Ithaca_85

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 01:38:22 PM »
I am going to try the high temp gasket sealant on it this weekend.  I will let you now how I make out.

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 05:22:23 PM »
Try putting on a new hose, the old one might have some small cracks in it, or
how about the fitting??? is it tight, what style is it? like a banjo fitting?

Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline jason hutchison

• ZUKIWORLD Staff
    • ZUKIWORLD Online
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 06:56:42 PM »
I have struggled with my fair share of pumps leaking.
The fresh hose and hose clamp is a good suggestion.
I eventually discovered that I had two problems with mine.

The barbed metal fitting that is on the side of the pump was part of a plate that was held down by a small bolt I think 8mm. Anyhow that plate was bent. There is also an O ring under the plate if I remember correctly and I think my O ring was dislodged or missiing. fixing those things solved the bulk of my problems..

Good luck.
Hutch

Offline Ithaca_85

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 05:35:28 PM »
thanks for all you suggestions, turns out the pipe had enough rust that it had rusted through.  A small hole, but a hole never the less... we cleaned it up used some spray on stop leak stuff, new hose and clamps and hope it holds until the new part gets here. :)  It does just bolt on.