Hello Guest

Trailer wiring on a Tracker

• 14 Replies

Offline rustytracker

Trailer wiring on a Tracker
« on: June 27, 2008, 06:09:14 AM »
Hello guys, I have a problem hopefully one of you has run into before.

I have a '93 Tracker.  I have a hitch on it and a small trailer so I wanted to add a trailer wiring harness to it.  I'm using the plain old 4-wire flat connector.  The problem is the tracker has separate bulbs for the turn signals & brake lights, while the trailer just has the 2.  I have the trailer left side connected to the truck left signal and trailer right side to the right signal, so the trailer turn signals work fine but I've got no brake lights on the trailer.  If I also connect the truck's brake light circuit to the 2 trailer lights, then both brake lights on the truck are going to blink whenever I use a signal.  Anyone ever run into this before?  Is there anyway to wire it without adding 2 more lights to my trailer?

Thanks

Offline biker

• It's a sickness I tell ya
Re: Trailer wiring on a Tracker
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 06:53:17 AM »
Your best bet is to go to a RV or parts store and get the plug in wire harness. I did and it was cheap and no hassles. Other than that you need a tail light converter which will run you the same money and you still have to wire it up.
94 Kick with bigger tires
99 Vitara 2wd
10 Gr Vitara

Offline beercheck

• Go Cards!
    • trivia-nights.com
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 07:06:08 AM »
I don't think the pre-1999 Trackers were pre-wired for a trailer harness, so just getting a plug-and-go harness probably won't work.

On my '96, I got the converter box.  You pull the taillights, crimp taps into the turn and tail/brake lights, then it runs through the little box and out comes your four-flat.  Very, very common equipment, and it takes about 20mins to install.

This sort of thing: http://www.etrailer.com/pc-ELEB~118130.htm

There are fancier ones that include a circuit breaker, too, but if you're just pulling a couple lights, it's not necessary.  If you've got an RV/Trailer shop nearby, they'll have one.  Even Wal-Mart might.
'03 ZR2 2dr Tracker, '02 XL-7 drivetrain and electrcs
XL-7 front coils
1.5" rear coil spacers
Monroe 32316 shocks w/2" extenders
235/70-16 Bridgestone Destination A/Ts on stock XL-7 Alloys RRO Rock Rails (Presently removed, as they rusted to all hell; all the bolts were rusted to dust.  Real nice, RRO...) http://www.trivia-nights.com

Offline Zukipilot

• stretch the limits of reality!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 07:52:03 AM »
I did the same as beercheck. The handy part is, if you wheel a lot, you can tuck the wiring inside the fender (behind the tail light) to keep the mud off of it, then when you need it, remove two phillips head screws and you have access to your un-corroded trailer wires.

Zig
Zukipilot
'92 Liberty Overland Sidekick

Offline rustytracker

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 12:19:58 PM »
Thanks for the link beercheck that's exactly what I need!

f.y.i. for anyone else doing this... it's called a 3-wire to 2-wire converter and now that I know what I'm looking for seems like most every parts store has them.  Average price = $15

Hiding the wires behind the taillight is a good idea too unfortunately the bottom of mine was long ago lost to the ohio winter salt.  But hey, it sure is easy to get the wires for the trailer in there now!

Offline reb

• Victim of CRS--Can't Remember Anything.
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 01:27:06 PM »
I don't think the pre-1999 Trackers were pre-wired for a trailer harness, so just getting a plug-and-go harness probably won't work.

I have the '98 Tracker shop manual, which shows a trailer harness connector in front of the left rear tail light.  I used that info to wire my Sport for a trailer (the wiring seems to be identical).  Instead of looking for a premade harness, I just connected a 3 wire to 2 wire converter to the wires of the connector.

Offline beercheck

• Go Cards!
    • trivia-nights.com
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 01:48:36 PM »
I have the '98 Tracker shop manual, which shows a trailer harness connector in front of the left rear tail light. 

Definitely worth a look-see.
'03 ZR2 2dr Tracker, '02 XL-7 drivetrain and electrcs
XL-7 front coils
1.5" rear coil spacers
Monroe 32316 shocks w/2" extenders
235/70-16 Bridgestone Destination A/Ts on stock XL-7 Alloys RRO Rock Rails (Presently removed, as they rusted to all hell; all the bolts were rusted to dust.  Real nice, RRO...) http://www.trivia-nights.com

phloop

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 06:01:28 PM »
Looks like I am to late to add that you need a converter/adaptor to get your trailer lights working correctly.

Offline pepatt

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 07:22:01 PM »
There are lights on trailers???  ::)

rustytracker I see you're from Ohio so you know what I mean. If you have working lights on your trailer you're entering it in a show! ;)

I used a converter as you've learned about (mounted behind the left tail light), and used a six pole (round) connector. To ward off corrosion I siliconed the snot out of the boot for the wiring.

Looks great, works great.

Have fun!

pepatt

Offline wheresmyhat

• 16v here I come baby!!!
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 12:04:48 AM »
I have parted about six of the older models. (pre 96) and they all have a prewired connector. If you pull the rear drivers side interior panel off you will see a blue plug where the harness runs over the wheel whell. It is tapped around the light harness. I parted one out that had the factory plug in trailer harness.
86 sami 87 motor and a few other years in there probably, dana 44 rear,36"tsl. I once had splitfire spark plugs.

Offline Medford

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 05:59:09 PM »
Beercheck and Zig;  I just got a hitch and need to wire a plug.  I would like to keep things consistant and use a 7 prong plug on everything else.  I found an unused plug with 5 wires to it behind the left tail light.  I tested the plug with lights, turns, brake, etc and am not getting anything to show on the tester.  What is the simplest way to wire a plug into the 96 Trackers light system to get trailer lights.  I realize this rig is not the rig to tow anything heavy, so all I am really looking for is running, turn, and brake lights.  I realize I could splice in, but what is the yellow 5 wire male prong plug intended for if not a trailer?  PS.    utahskibum, thanks for the hitch!
96 Tracker LSI, 2.5" Pro Comp lift with cooper 30X9.5 STT tires.  A bit of trim and beating to make the front work.

Offline jzap

• How difficult can it be?
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 08:00:43 PM »
I could never find a mating plug and harness to fit that plug.  I ended up using the "fold over" type taps and a Hopkins converter like this one...

http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.com/products/basic_wiring/taillight_converters/standard_converters/modular_tail_light_converter_w_replaceable_extension.html

Most auto parts stores have them.

For towing the trailer with the flat four using a vehicle with the seven round (Bargeman) connector, I just bought a plug in 7 to 4 converter.  It plugs into the Bargeman connector on the vehicle and has a plug on it for the four flat trailer connector to plug into, like this one...

http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.com/products/adapters/standard/7_rv_blade_to_4-wire_flat_adapter.html

That way, I didn't have to rewire the trailer connector.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 08:02:25 PM by jzap »
Jim Z.
96 Tracker
66 Apache camper

Offline Medford

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 05:03:02 PM »
Jzap, you just splice in with the converter, then run the pig tail out from behind the light as needed?  What exactly is the job of the converter?  I am only familiar with hard wiring the tow vehicle to the male plug and mounting that plug to the hitch reciever.  I do have one of the flat to 7 round adaptors, that I carry in my main tow vehicle, but he rest of my towable stuff is set up for 7 round, so it would be cleaner to stick with one style.
96 Tracker LSI, 2.5" Pro Comp lift with cooper 30X9.5 STT tires.  A bit of trim and beating to make the front work.

Offline jzap

• How difficult can it be?
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 08:51:45 PM »
The Zuk uses separate bulbs (filaments) for the brake and turn signals.  The trailer uses one bulb filament for both.  The converter adapts the trailer wiring to the Zuk wiring to allow the separate brake lights and turn signal lights on the Zuk to feed the single bulb filament on the trailer.  If you tried to hard wire the Zuk into a trailer without a converter, you would backfeed power into places that you don't want it.   

I wired the trailer converter into the harness on the driver's side using the foldover type taps, and coiled the excess wire so that the converter box sits just outside the plastic trim panel.  The converter I used came with a 4 ft long 4flat pigtail that plugs into the box on one end and the trailer on the other, so you don't have wires hanging all over the place when you are not towing.  You just unplug the pigtail, and all you can see is the small converter box in the back corner of the load space.  The box is pretty small and really has never gotten in the way.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 09:01:02 PM by jzap »
Jim Z.
96 Tracker
66 Apache camper

Offline Medford

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 05:46:31 PM »
Copy that.  Thanks for the help.