Hello Guest

Stock Kick compressor OBA??

• 3 Replies

Offline aaron74

Stock Kick compressor OBA??
« on: April 24, 2008, 02:02:47 PM »
I just asked about this on a local board but here goes:

Has anyone used the stock compressor for OBA?  I know it can be done but don't know whether or not it is worth it - i.e. maybe it does not move enough volume.  The other big question would be about oiling it.  I know you can use an air tool oiler but how much oil should you feed it so that it doesn't blow up? 

I have already had the last dregs of R12 evacuated and the worst case scenario is that I just rip all of that crap out of there and call it a day. 

On a related note, has anyone used the A/C cooler as an oil cooler?  I am thinking of using a thermostatic switch to feed an external cooler anyway. 
Thanks,
Aaron
I used to be indecisive but now, I'm not so sure.

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
Re: Stock Kick compressor OBA??
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 04:18:02 PM »
Assuming that the 'Kick A/C compressor has the same range of capacity as a Samurai one (& I think that is the case),  the answer is yes.

It isn't gonna perform like your garage compressor but it will get  the job done.

Check out this article on Samurai A/C-to-air compressor conversion:

http://www.acksfaq.com/ac-conv.php

I built this system for my '88 Samurai in 2001.  While it was not a ball of fire by itself, it did a pretty good job of airing up tires when equipped with an air tank.

The design also has a simple pump lubricating system.

I hope that this helps!

Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 06:41:19 AM »
I have a kick compressor OBA on my Sammy.  Works great, and with the 7 gal tank, has a reasonable reserve.  Runs impact guns fine, but takes time with air hungry tools like a ratchet.

Offline aaron74

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 10:04:36 AM »
Thanks Tim and ack!

I have all of the old a/c system out except for the evaporator (and I want it gone too).  It's just sitting there for now until I find an oiler, separator, and 12V pressure cut-off on the cheap.  I was thinking I might just stick the oiler and separator on there with a pressure blow off unitl I get around to plumbing a tank, etc.  I'm cheap and it can wait for now. 
I used to be indecisive but now, I'm not so sure.