Hello Guest

5 speed to 3 speed auto swap thread.. help hints? ideas?>

• 2 Replies

Offline BigTraxutah

• Layton, UT
5 speed to 3 speed auto swap thread.. help hints? ideas?>
« on: April 03, 2008, 06:12:04 PM »
I am planning on buying a setup for making my ride a 3 speed auto, and 4.1 tcase, and building it up then putting it in. Any ideas? Read through this!

Here are some pics of a tranny I looked at today, its  tranny t case combo from a 89 tracker, he told me its a three speed, it comes with the TC included. I found it here locally, had to climb up like 3 racks of shelf to get to it!!! My questions are,

One, is this a three speed? I am guessing yes, we clicked the selector it had 5 clicks, 6 spots P R N D 2 1, im guessing it would be 7 spots for P R D N D 3 2 1 for 4 speed? Im not sure...
Two, What else will I need, Shifter, kick down cable, shifter cable, tranny cooler.....
Three, Those two plugs on the tranny, are those going to click into a plug already on my rig? or do I need to get a harness or splice some wires in.

I am guessing that the 3 prong round plug goes to the shifter, the 5 prong is something that is there already for the T case? Am I right?

Tranny sitting there, with my brother up on the shelf

This is the Oil pan, someone told me youc an tell if its a 3 or 4 speed by this, so I snapped one

This is a plug that has 3 wires to the Tcase, and two to the tranny total of 5 on the plug, I am guessing 4wd light? and?? I dunno what other two are.

THIS is the plug that goes into the gear selector part, where the shifter clicks through the gears? Neutral safety switch?

Offline whitfield

• 4-dr Kick on 34's
Re: 5 speed to 3 speed auto swap thread.. help hints? ideas?>
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 02:25:25 AM »

THIS is the plug that goes into the gear selector part, where the shifter clicks through the gears? Neutral safety switch?

Reverse lights too!  ;)
Old Dog looking to learn some new tricks. 

Offline biker

• It's a sickness I tell ya
Re: 5 speed to 3 speed auto swap thread.. help hints? ideas?>
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 07:36:06 AM »
If that combo is from an 89 the t-case is no good for putting lower gears into, you need a 91+ case.
I put the 3spd into mine with TT gears and love it off road, it's kind of a dog on the road with 33's though. All you really need to hook up to make it work is one vacuum line to the intake manifold, wiring is optional.
94 Kick with bigger tires
99 Vitara 2wd
10 Gr Vitara