Hello Guest

HELP! Missing 16v

• 27 Replies

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
Re: HELP! Missing 16v
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2008, 05:52:06 AM »
Actually, the turbo was out of of the system when all this happened. I was doing the compression check to try and chase down a oil blowby problem with the turbo system.  So when all this happened, it was basicly a stock motor with a header. I did do a second compression test on all the cylinders, after the backfires, as stated above, and it held compression  just fine, although I guess a leakdown test would be the best thing to do. I don't think or at least I hope the backfires didn't cause any mechanical damage, and from my past experience, these are non interference motors anyway, so unless combustion pressure could bend a valve, I doubt if anything came in contact. Maybe I'm way wrong, but a good compression test should indicate a sound sealing between rings and cylinder, and valve and seat. I think anyway, But now I'm second guessing myself on everything.  Thanks afor the diagram spyder0069, that helps. Any other suggestions welcome, I guess it's time to fix my check idiot lite.
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline lostsamurai

• LOSTSAMURAI
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2008, 08:37:01 AM »
I know for sure, mine is a 94 sidekick 1.6 16 valve,      1
                              3         2
  counter clockwise         4             
put your crank at 12 make sure the timing notch and the keyway are both at 12

then make sure your cam E mark the E on the outer ring and make sure the cam keyway is at 6 with the E oposite at 12

stab your dist in so the rotor is at #4 straight down,

tdc is when #4 is on compression stroke the #1 is on exaust stroke that's what the E is on the cam

I was stumped on mine for a month I ended up taking it to japanese auto on 3rd south in provo if this is an option I recommend it mine runs great now!         
88' Zuk 16v efi full width dana 44 axles and 37"s,hybrid exo cage, comp cut rear -18", F&R fox air shocks , jegs poly seats, sk automatic trans, 6.5:1 t case, twinsticks, 100" wheelbase with a 79" wide.

Offline bentparts

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2008, 02:50:35 PM »
OK Guys, first I want to thank everybody for all your help and suggestions.  Here's an update of where I stand now. I wanted to recheck everything from the cam timing up, so I tore it all apart again, double checking everything. Timing belt and cam orientation are correct, as well as distributor lining up to #4 at TDC with the cam .E mark at the top, the crank keyway at the top, pointing at the mark on the oil pump. Thanks all for the tips. Spark plug routing is set at 1342 starting from the dist lug to the immediate right of the vent. I swapped in a spare set of plugs, wires, rotor and cap. I replaced the bulb and housing for my CEL, cleared all previous codes by disconnecting pos batt terminal for a few minutes. The only way it will start and idle is with the distributor turned to FULL RETARD. Check engine lite comes on when I turn the key to start, but does NOT stay on while running. ? WTF ? Can't get a code out of it either. It will continue to idle, smoothly, but smells of unburned fuel, and is very sluggish to build RPM. To get a code out of it does it need to be running while you jump the 2-3 pins on the diagnostic plug? I'm pretty convinced this is not a ignition related problem anymore, but that I may have toasted something in the ecm, or somewhere else. When I first put everything back together after doing the compression check, I did get the wires crossed. While it was running, I did unplug the wires from the dizzy, to swap them, and I could clearly hear the sparks jumping while I was trying to put them back in.  I'm wondering If this caused a problem.

Offline bentparts

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2008, 03:03:10 PM »
Oops! I rechecked the manual, vin code 6 is diagnostic ports 2 and 4 for codes, this time I got a 12, continuosly. That means no codes right? Very frustrating.

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2008, 04:01:44 PM »
When I bought the timing belt for my 95-16v, the parts place said it was an interference engine, of course they have been wrong before.  I wonder if maybe you have an injector thats stuck open or leaking, since you are having a fuel loading problem.

Offline bentparts

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2008, 07:23:15 PM »
Fuel and sensors are the next things to check. Still trying to figure out why it'll only start and run only when it's fully retarded. Wish the thing would give me a code to work with.

Offline lostsamurai

• LOSTSAMURAI
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2008, 08:21:44 PM »
sounds exactly like my story go back a few pages and read my posts my engine was doing the exact same thing, I bought a new header,o2 sensor, ecm, mass air flow sensor, fuel press reg, and plugs,wires,cap,rotor.... then took it to jap auto he said I just had the crank pully on wrong, and the dizzy off one tooth. these engines are super finicky try moving the belt one notch either way and then the dizzy one tooth either way
88' Zuk 16v efi full width dana 44 axles and 37"s,hybrid exo cage, comp cut rear -18", F&R fox air shocks , jegs poly seats, sk automatic trans, 6.5:1 t case, twinsticks, 100" wheelbase with a 79" wide.

phloop

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2008, 09:13:08 PM »
Every time I see this thread all I can think of is, where did it go and why did it leave?

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2008, 09:47:09 PM »
Wow.  That was awesome.   ;D

Offline whitfield

• 4-dr Kick on 34's
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2008, 01:22:28 AM »
Bent parts,
    Try taking the hold down bolt out of the distributor and turn it further.  If the engine likes what you are doing it will let you know.  If it prefers this set up then you have the distributor or wires incorrect.  Sounds like you are out of time now, trying this step shouldn't make it worse. 

You can time an engine on any cylinder if you stop and think about it, (Simple physics)

When Cylinder #(X)'s piston is at TDC then the cam must have the valves closed and the rotor should be pointing at that distributor pole.   With these things correct it doesn't matter what any book says.

All 4 cyl engines firing order are either 1342 or 1432.  I can hear which is correct when run, so I don't even memorize the specifics any more.

One Item I like to check is that TDC on the piston is TDC mark on the crank.  A bad crank key way can give a big headache.   I once owned a Tracker that had the crank key way repaired but the repair left it 30deg off.  This was not told to me nor was it marked, I had to figure it out when I went to adjust the timing and came up with a non running truck.
Old Dog looking to learn some new tricks. 

Offline bentparts

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2008, 06:02:39 AM »
Thanks Whitfield, after retiming it a dozen times, I finally figured that out, that it'll time on any cylinder. I'm gonna try and move the dizzy further like you suggest and see what happens. Also phloop, I found it! It ran away because it was tired of being experimented with! 

Offline bentparts

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2008, 06:19:20 AM »
BINGO! Whitfield, you were correct sir, I pulled the bolt and moved the dizzy further, and It fired right up and ran perfectly. So I guess my dizzy is a tooth of to the advanced side. It's weird, the rotor in the distributor is pointing directly at the correct plug , but maybe my timing belt IS a tooth off, I cant remember If I did that on pourpose or not. I may have as an experiment to gain better power and forgot. I need to keep better records I guess, I've done TOO much crap to this poor little trucklet!  Should be a simple matter of pulling it and reseting. BTW, anytime you want to come up to check out the turbo stuff, your welcome to spend the night, I have plenty of spare room. Thanks again, and EVERYONE, a big Thanks for all your help and input!

Offline whitfield

• 4-dr Kick on 34's
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2008, 06:18:10 PM »
BTW, anytime you want to come up to check out the turbo stuff, your welcome to spend the night, I have plenty of spare room. Thanks again, and EVERYONE, a big Thanks for all your help and input!

Glad it all worked out.  They are hard to kill ~ Just keep them from over heating and keep them oiled well.

Thanks for the offer.  I'd definatly like to catch up for the day and check out the Turbo set up.  I've been following WildGoody's writings for a few years.  I'm just now searching back and finding yours.  I'm most impressed with the thought and time you have put into your set up.  Can't wait to see it live. 

Looks like I'm tied up for the next 60 days. 

(2) Honda Civic head gaskets (our new ^ MPG daily drivers). 

Prepping for the Zuwharrie event in 2-weeks

Prepping and racing my 2-dr tracker in the 4x4cross event May 11th  (www.americanwheeler.com)  Fastest time wins.    next year ~ TURBO ???
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 06:23:13 PM by whitfield »
Old Dog looking to learn some new tricks.