Hello Guest

88 Samurai Mis-Fire at idle

• 4 Replies

Godsuki

88 Samurai Mis-Fire at idle
« on: February 14, 2008, 09:20:05 PM »
The Samurai I just got wont pass Ca smog test.  It's a two speed idle test.  Idle and 2500 rpm.  Motor runs squeaky clean at 2500rpm.  At idle it is a gross polluter.  The tech said it has a misfire at idle that smooths out.  He said it was probaly running too rich at idle.  I think it might be the IDLE MIXTURE SOLENOID?  Anyone know where I can find one of these or any other ideas would help.

big_kountry21

Re: 88 Samurai Mis-Fire at idle
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 09:29:48 PM »
idk on that. i'm in arkansas so i don't gotta worry bout smog test. but mine does the same thing i got a 96 track... so let me know how you fix it...

rascott

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 09:43:51 PM »
you must have the hitachi carb?
i think the idle mixture screw is pinned in place- where the pin fits in a slot in the mixture screw to prevent it from being turned without taking the pin out.
perhaps somebody has been thru the carb and has reset this.
just a thought as i was looking at this on mine when i did an overhaul (i have an '89 1.3L kick) but didn't touch it.
you may be able to lean it out at idle and pass both parts of test?
i live in CA and will have to smog in a few months, and will probably have to put my stocker back on to do it. i use a "no pass- no pay" place. DON'T GET ON THE GROSS POLLUTER LIST! you will have to go to a state run facility for testing(i think).
mabe?
richard

rascott

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 05:47:18 AM »
one more thing-
make sure you've done all the obvious tune up stuff first. new plugs can make a big difference.

Godsuki

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 11:16:53 PM »
It seems to be a vacume leak I cant find.  From looking at pictures of used carbs I see that a part on my carb is broken also.  It's the thing on the rear driver side of the carb.  It has a electrical conection and two nipples for vacume hoses.  There is a plastic cylender on the top that is broken off.   Any one know what it is, or have one off an old carb?