Hello Guest

Tracker revs while turning????

• 20 Replies

bartolo92

Tracker revs while turning????
« on: January 28, 2008, 07:39:28 AM »
Hey yal! Im new to this Suzuki world! I have no idea about these cars in how they really work so I would really like to know whats goin with my new ride!

I just baught this 92 Tracker Hardtop 3speed auto 185,000miles for 500 bucks! Its really clean! I just have a few issues in trying to perfect its performance. I will start of for now with what sounds like the diffs are slipping or tranny?

Please correct me of help me! lol

When ever im at a light or approaching a turn, as soon as i turn, i notice the car starts to rev up and the car is not moving! more like rolling in neutral. after a certain point into the turn, it will catch again and jump! depending on how much it revs! It seems like something is slipping? Anyone know what this can be from?  ???

also, i took it of roading a few times and I noticed that when im climbing a really steep hill, it starts climbing, then all of a sudden rev up and jump again and again like its trying to grip something in the tranny? im afraid that by doing this again, it might break my drive shaft or and axel! its like it drops out of gear for a really quick second then engage again! anyone know what causes this? its this normal for the autotrans?  ???

4wd in all works perfectly fine!

Offline LilRed

• Webshots Photopage
Re: Tracker revs while turning????
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 07:48:26 AM »
Have you checked the transmission fluid?  Sounds like it could be low.

some clips from The Wishbone Ranch
http://www.youtube.com/user/KyLilRed

bartolo92

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 07:51:43 AM »
yeah, the tranny fluid is topped off

mic

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 08:49:59 AM »
try changing the filter. It could be clogged?

Offline SnoFalls

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 09:35:00 AM »
your tranny is slipping.

It could be the filter is starving it as was mentioned. Would explain the "while turning" or "while climbing" since the fluid would move. But, if it is topped off (while hot), then even that seems strange.

I'd at a minimum do a fluid+filter change ... might even try a pint of lucus additive too (one of the few additives I've known to work).

IMO, that tranny is likely to be on it's last legs ... the lucus can help it along for a while, but once they start to slip (for whatever reason), they go downhill VERY fast.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.

Buy-it, Build-it, Beat-it, Part-it

Offline Uncivilized

• Car Domain
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 07:23:34 PM »
yeah, the tranny fluid is topped off
Are you checking it while it's running and at operating temperature?

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 12:50:21 AM »
Add a quart of trans fluid, and make sure to use Dexron III.
DO NOT USE TYPE F OR A FLUID!!!
I have 280,000 miles on my auto trans and it has seen many an
offroad mile as well as turbo power, the 3 speed trannys are GM TH180
and are well built.

Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 03:36:49 AM »
Off topic , but Wild how's your Turbo  runnin?
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 04:54:31 AM »
OK, needs tuning and I want to swap the head out to a 16V
setup, so I been waiting for that to finish tuning the injection.

Hutch might have some video of me on the dunes at the Hammers
but I didn't ask if he shot any, I'll have to ask him.

Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

bartolo92

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 06:43:33 AM »
i checked the fluid when the car was off, then i also checked it as soon as i started it while it was running like the manual said. also checked it after it reached operating temp. it seems to be on point. i did notice it said to use Dexron III, maybe the previous owner used the wrong tranny fluid? i think im gonna go and get this flushed out and refilled. i only had the car for like 2 weeks, it runs fine in all, no noise or sqeeks coming from the engine, it has plenty of spunk! its just when it comes down to a turn with like 1 rotation on the wheel, thats when it starts to slip. you can say when i bust a u as well, it will slip.

also
try changing the filter. It could be clogged?
what filter are you refering too? does the tranny have its own filter too???? or the oil filter?

thanks guys!

MaD.72

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 08:11:31 AM »
The filter you're looking for is inside the tranny...just drain the tranny oil and remove the pan, the filter is there!!

bartolo92

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 09:54:57 AM »
sweet! i will have to take a look at that when i get home today, hopefully i have the right tool to do the job! lol im kinda limited on them right now since my bro left my tool box in my crx and someone broke into it just to take my tools!!!!  >:(

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 11:09:20 AM »
Hey Wild, re: your turbo, I'm building a new manifold out of 304 Stainless weld el's. I had a new Exhaust Flange cut out for the 16 V head. If you need one I'll let my original flange go pretty cheap.
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline jzap

• How difficult can it be?
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 06:57:14 PM »
Did you check your engine mounts.  A friend of mine had a vehicle (not a Zuk) with a broken mount.  In a turn, the engine would tilt just enough to put tension on the shift linkage and pull it into neutral.  When the car straightened out or slowed down, the engine would flop back into place and reengage the tranny.  An off the wall thing, I know, but doesn't hurt to check.
Jim Z.
96 Tracker
66 Apache camper

Cuthulu

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 08:21:14 PM »
Did you check your engine mounts.  A friend of mine had a vehicle (not a Zuk) with a broken mount.  In a turn, the engine would tilt just enough to put tension on the shift linkage and pull it into neutral.  When the car straightened out or slowed down, the engine would flop back into place and reengage the tranny.  An off the wall thing, I know, but doesn't hurt to check.

I had a Ford pickup that I got for a song because it popped out of gear somtimes.  A friend was backing it up for me one day and I noticed the tranny jumped a little.  Took a look and found out it was because one of the motor mounts was shot.  Fixed it and never had the problem again.