Hello Guest

new guy in alabama

• 6 Replies

BamaBaja

new guy in alabama
« on: January 26, 2008, 05:53:45 AM »
hey thom here been building aircooled VWs forever juts got me a 88 sammy to build and of course first thing the tranny blowed up. driving down the road all quiet and then boom the great popcorn machine started bearings all over . gonna do a few things to the sammy small lift some all terrains. lots of good soap stone creeks around here to play on during the summer . been taking our 4 whlrs down there forever now upgrading to the a bigger toy. any folks around this area let me know come spring we ride it every weekend. miles and miles of water sand and soapstone.gonna pull my tranny today and get it to the shop monday for a rebuild .

Offline daddyizzle

• Colorado is still my home!!
Re: new guy in alabama
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 07:06:23 AM »
Welcome aboard. Lots of help and info here. All quiet and then boom? :o That seems unusual. I rebuilt a a samurai transmission a few months back that had (I think) the shift pin fall into the 5th gears and take a chunk out of them. I had put the transmission in to test it out.  Transmission whined all along and when I tried 5th, it made a slapping sound so I only used up to 4th for a few weeks until I had time to drop it. $65.00 for a pair of lower  5th gears from hawk + the rebuild kit and it was back on the road. Hopefully yours is still rebuildable. Let us know what you find on inspection.

-Adam ;D
If all criminals were behind bars, there would be no one left to patrol the streets.

86 Samurai Tin-Top stock with a Harley 44 sidedraft carb

BamaBaja

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 08:08:47 AM »
yeah was driving in 4th thru a little town 45 mph went to shift down for the 30 mph sign and it sounded like a bomb had no gears. even had to take the transfer case and put it in neutral just to push it. with the tranny in neutral it still was engaged.

BamaBaja

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 12:18:53 PM »
well worse then i thought the bearing came loose and shot thru the front like a deer rifle nice big hole therefore the case is toast.. waiting on a reply fella had one for 60$ i hope he still has it if not looks like ill be buying a new one since no one has one cheap as me

BamaBaja

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 05:33:04 PM »
sucks to walk out to my shop and see my sammi sittin all glorious and knowing i cant drive it....  been detailing it while waitin on a tranny put in a new cd player today . sucks sucks sucks i wanna be trailin right now >:( >:( >:(

shmack

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 06:26:15 AM »
Welcome Dude. I am in north central Alabama. Just north of B'ham. Where are you at?

BamaBaja

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 07:40:43 PM »
Welcome Dude. I am in north central Alabama. Just north of B'ham. Where are you at?

south of montgomery in a small town called Braggs.. once i get the sammi back on the road its creek time. there is a soapstone creek 2 miles down the road we have road 4 whlr in for yrs up to 20 miles . ride crack a few beers good times. lots of folks here take their jeeps and other 4x4s down it. i had a 2500 cummins i use to take down it but to tall for some spot.