Hello Guest

Hello! and Help? Samurai steering wheel shaking

• 9 Replies

TikiB

Hello! and Help? Samurai steering wheel shaking
« on: January 18, 2008, 11:22:04 AM »
I'm posting this for my mom. She has an 88.5 Samurai that we've had since new. You wouldn't believe the condition of this thing. She took it to our mechanic and spent over 300 dollars but the steering wheel is still shaking. I haven't drive it yet(will today). According to her it shakes violently and she had to slow it down to 25-30 just to drive it. It's in 2wd, and there is nothing aftermarket on it. She said it drives straight when you take your hands off the wheel so its not the alignment. I would greatly appreciate any help you could give me

Offline RHodge

Re: Hello! and Help? Samurai steering wheel shaking
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 12:02:12 PM »
Is it when you put the brakes on or all the time, if it all the time it could be wheel bearings or the king pin may need to be rebuilt. try jacking it up one front wheel at a time grad the tire top and bottem and see if you can get it to move or it feels like something is lose also look at the tierods they could be bad 

Ryan

Offline Zukipilot

• stretch the limits of reality!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 12:09:39 PM »
Old Tires??? Could be a bubble in the thre, busted belt, tread seperating etc....

Zig
(just had one blow out on the suburban, luckly on the back and easy to control)
Zukipilot
'92 Liberty Overland Sidekick

TikiB

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 08:45:24 AM »
I really appreciate the info guys! I'm going by today to have a look at it.

83sj410

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 09:36:33 AM »
Sounds like a bent rim or separated tire.

samurai dan

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 11:26:59 PM »
i have the same prob... mostly between 55 and 65 mph ..... let me know what you find

Offline 88Sammy

• JDM parts
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 09:44:14 AM »
My steering wheel would start to shake about 35-40.  If I keep on the gas it would go away, but if I left off the gas or braked it would continue until I slowed way, way down.

I took my Samurai to Petroworks this weekend and turns out the tie rod end on my Z- bar was bent.

I ended switching out the Z-bar to the OTT system.  No more swaying, wandering, vibrations or anything.  Drives perfectly now.

I don’t know if the bent tie rod end or the whole Z-bar system was the cause of my problems.

bobb

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 04:40:14 PM »
i have the same prob... mostly between 55 and 65 mph ..... let me know what you find

65! How do you get to 65?? Maybe down hill and a tail wind?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 04:42:54 PM by bobb »

samurai dan

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 04:45:28 PM »
i can hit 65 when i am tailing a big rig and the moon is at 3/4 full....mid tide...ect... the conditions have to be perfect :P

bobb

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 08:01:09 PM »
i can hit 65 when i am tailing a big rig and the moon is at 3/4 full....mid tide...ect... the conditions have to be perfect :P
LOL :laugh: