Hello Guest

gear options?

• 6 Replies

Offline nevadasmith

• hey, wait wait I got a new idea!
gear options?
« on: December 10, 2007, 08:21:14 PM »
I'm almost done installing toyota IFS axels under my tracker! I got almost 7" lift but......

I started this project wanting lower gears than 5.12 and 5.71's are offered for the toyota diffs, but when I went to order my 5.71's the guy at randy's ring and pinion asked me what size tire I was planning on running. I proudly told him 33x15.50x15's and oh by the way I wanted lockright lockers f/r.

He said "Okay I'll sell them to you but thay are going to break."  :(

so I can only aford to do this once ever and he told me 5.29's would hold up.

then I called low range off road and they also warned me off probems with 5.71's and recomended 5.29's

now all bummed out I saw in the action snack at the top a trac/kick claiming 16" of lift stock trany and a sammi t-case? how do you mate the sami case to the tracker trany? Is this a better option? I have 4.11 gears now and with the high range reduction of like a 5 to 1 in the sami case I should be just about right.

Or should I sell one of my children and buy 5.29's, lockers, and a low gear set for the tracker t-case?

Or should call the guys in canada that modifie tracker t-case to bolt on a toyota t-case to the back of it?(OTT) kicker?

the 33x15.50s are hear to stay so....... what do you guys recomend? I'm looking for the best comprimse between preformace and cash!!!

oh It will be my DD 24 miles a day and I wheel in the big rocks, sand, mud, and do some trail running!

The guys I go wheeling with run toyota's one 350 chevy and 38's and one with a 440 dodge full size axels and 42's I just want to keep up! with zuki power ;D

thanks in advance for the help!

92 hardtop removable + swampers + 2.5" lift+ locker+ onboard air

Offline crikeymike

• Local to Western Washington?? Visit WAZUKS.com
    • http://www.wazuks.com
Re: gear options?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 08:59:45 PM »
If you really want the low gearing, and i can understand why, why don't you just choose a more narrow tire?  A 15" wide tire is pretty crazy IMO, but a 12.5 or even 10.5 would still do a really good job, and hopefully not put quite as much strain on everything.

You could always run the 5.71's, and then if they do end up breaking, try something else from that point on.
1993 4-door Sidekick
3" hybrid Calmini/OME lift, 2" B/L, Rear air locker
Shrockworks bar & sliders, Full skid plates
4.24:1 t-case
 WAZUKS member - visit http://www.wazuks.com

Offline tipover

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 12:38:38 AM »
5.71 pinions are really small.  I forget the tooth count.  I know some that haven't had any problems with them.  the 5.29 are much stronger.  If you don't bash too much the 5.71 should be fine for a tracker.
Wheeler-87 Samurai JX. 7" lift, 1.6 TBI, lockers hybrid rear, 33" Swampers, 6 to 1s in a billet housing.
RV Dingy-2003 2 door tracker
Tow-97 PSD F250 Crew SB Dana 60 conversion
87 samurai-spoa ZookEV electric conversion.
RV- 31' Monaco Mckenzie

Offline sidekicksrock

• Lil Suzys Dad
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 02:27:26 AM »
5.71 pinions are really small.  I forget the tooth count

The toy ring is larger than a Suzuki Right? Our 5.83's seem to be holding up to the abuse. I would guess that 5.71's would work OK in a Kick.
Student of Now Master of Then

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 08:10:24 AM »
5.71 pinions are really small.  I forget the tooth count

The toy ring is larger than a Suzuki Right? Our 5.83's seem to be holding up to the abuse. I would guess that 5.71's would work OK in a Kick.

It is the pinion gear that is usually the weak point in deep gears.  The "head" of the pinion (where all the teeth are), is such a small diameter, that it puts a lot of strain on them and sometimes they will break off when stressed hard.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline lil_Truck

• Eric Gardner
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 09:01:46 AM »
"The toy ring is larger than a Suzuki Right? Our 5.83's seem to be holding up to the abuse. I would guess that 5.71's would work OK in a Kick."

When I was installing my 5.83's a friend laughed at me because it was so small but there going strong.

The Track/Kick are so light weight, I bet that they (5.71) will hold up to what you do to them.

But remember, that the sami T case final drive is a reduction drive not direct.  If you use and OTT combo with a sami case you would end up with a lower output so 5.29's would work great.

And I'm happy with my 11.5" wide tires.
e-mail: liltruck|removethispart|@comcast.net
96 Tracker
6" Calimini Lift with custom Frame
32 MTR's Warn 8000i
Front/Rear ARB's Many New Mods soon.

Offline nevadasmith

• hey, wait wait I got a new idea!
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 06:56:24 PM »
thank's for the input guy's I'm leanig tward the 5.71's I'll let you know what I come up with

as far as the tires I've ran 30x11.50x15 for three years but every once in awile you just need to walk on water! 15.50 should float the whole truck!!!
92 hardtop removable + swampers + 2.5" lift+ locker+ onboard air