Hello Guest

tracker winch

• 17 Replies

tracker8v4x4

tracker winch
« on: November 28, 2007, 08:02:36 PM »
i want to put a winch on my tracker but i dont got much money. how many pounds would u suggest will a 2000 lbs winch be enough? i was also wondering if anyone has mounted a winch with the stock bumper if so do u have any pics?     thanks matt

Offline sidekicksrock

• Lil Suzys Dad
Re: tracker winch
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 08:35:33 PM »
6,000 is the smallest I would go. Rule of thumb is twice the vehicle trail ready GVW. I have never seen anyone fab a mount behind the stock sidekick bumper. It probably could be done you would need to build a frame off the top of the frame rails.
Student of Now Master of Then

tracker8v4x4

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 08:42:37 PM »
o ok thanks do you know of any good 4000 ibs winches that are pretty cheap

Offline crikeymike

• Local to Western Washington?? Visit WAZUKS.com
    • http://www.wazuks.com
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 08:46:30 PM »
harbor freight has cheap 6000 or 8000lb winches.  $250 or $300 when they're on sale I think.
1993 4-door Sidekick
3" hybrid Calmini/OME lift, 2" B/L, Rear air locker
Shrockworks bar & sliders, Full skid plates
4.24:1 t-case
 WAZUKS member - visit http://www.wazuks.com

Cuthulu

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 09:13:51 PM »
If you are looking for a step up from Harbor Freight but still modest in price it is worth your time to look at Mile Marker.  Several guys on here have run them pretty hard and they hold up.

Offline crikeymike

• Local to Western Washington?? Visit WAZUKS.com
    • http://www.wazuks.com
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 09:30:05 PM »
The electric mile marker winches are made in the same factory as the harbor freight (champion) brand.  They're just badged with whoever wants to pay to have their name put on them.

Photo comparison of the 9000lb models from http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/trail/131_0706_winch_buyers_guide/photo_01.html

Harbor freight on top, Mile Marker on the bottom. 

1993 4-door Sidekick
3" hybrid Calmini/OME lift, 2" B/L, Rear air locker
Shrockworks bar & sliders, Full skid plates
4.24:1 t-case
 WAZUKS member - visit http://www.wazuks.com

Offline SnoFalls

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 07:06:52 AM »
I'm getting one of these very soon

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM-930002
(it is a rebadged T-Maxx EW-9000

I'm also going to switch it over to synthetic line to keep the weight down.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.

Buy-it, Build-it, Beat-it, Part-it

kingzoo

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 08:58:46 AM »
   Look on this site,as I have seen a couple of people fab a brush guard type wich mount using the factory bumper.Should not be very difficult if you can weld and fab it yourself.

Offline lil_Truck

• Eric Gardner
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 09:24:16 AM »
The only complant I've heard with Harbot Freight/Mile Marker is that they are a slow wench and also a little larger that a name brand one (Warn).  Other than that, I have heard they hold up very well.

Also, I went with the synthetic line. 

WORTH THE MONEY!!!! 

Not because it's lighter (wich is nice) but it's so nice to use.  From a safty view, they are a lot safer.  If they ever should break, they just fall flat of the ground.  No stored up energy, so it won't take off someone's head if it breaks.
e-mail: liltruck|removethispart|@comcast.net
96 Tracker
6" Calimini Lift with custom Frame
32 MTR's Warn 8000i
Front/Rear ARB's Many New Mods soon.

Offline Amilla

• Toyota running gear was made for a samurai!
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 09:57:26 AM »
You could try a Ramsey winch, my buddie had one on his old CJ.  He was the only one out of our group of wheelin buddies that had a winch.  So he would end up doing all the dirty work and yardin us out of sticky situations.  Not once did the winch give out or fail to pull.

Here is the same winch he had, its a dam good deal for an 8500 Lb winch

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200183124_200183124

Hope that helps

Amilla
88 Samurai, Sprung Up, Geared Down, Locked,With Yotas.

Offline bzzr2

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 10:48:33 AM »
milemarker has a 4500, i'm sure this is enough, too bad if everybody with bigger heavier trucks are stuck, the winch is for you 1st.  if it is ever too little snatch block it.  you might want the synthetic line for 3 reasons, lighter, safer and you can fit more rope than cable because it's thinner and softer.  i was looking into this but fixed my come along which has proven to work very well.  do not mount a winch to your front bumper, it must be connected directly to the frame, the bumper will bend if not tear off!  it is true about the speed though, a bit slow compared to a warn or superwinch but 1/2 the price.

03-ZR2, 2dr, 31x10.5 SSR's & stuff...--sold :-(
03 xl7, jeff's 2inch spacer lift, 225/75/16's; sold
09 taco reg cab short box 4x4

Offline Amilla

• Toyota running gear was made for a samurai!
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 12:31:50 PM »
This is a correction for what i posted, the winch is on sale for $400 instead of $480.

A friend of mine had mile marker 8000 (i think that was the weight)
anyways, the motor burnt out on it in about a year or so.
But it did do the trick when it was running, deffinatly a slow winch.

Amilla
88 Samurai, Sprung Up, Geared Down, Locked,With Yotas.

Offline cocobeachtracker

• 2006 Grand Vitara Luxury
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 02:29:21 PM »
I had a 8,000 lbs harbor frieght winch on the front of my 95 tracker.  It worked great.  I then put a 2,000 lbs harbor frieght winch on the back.  I figured I might be able to pull 80lbs by myself, so 2,000 lbs was a big step up.  I welded up custom bumpers for front and back and welded them to the frame.  Who cares how slow a winch is, you just want it to save your but.  I have a 2006 GV and I have a 5,000lbs harbor frieght winch that I can plug in the front (custom unit behind the grill) or rear receiver.  I went with this option so I only have to take the winch when I am going somewhere that I could get stuck. No, I haven't had to use it yet.

Mike
2006 Grand Vitara Luxury, Trailer hitch, dynamat

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 10:18:17 AM »
I have a cheap 8000lb winch, I wouldn't go any smaller on a Track/Kick. I think the 'secret' with cheap winches is to take your time with the recovery. Pull in a bit at a time and let the motor rest a while so it doesn't overheat.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline SnoFalls

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2007, 12:48:01 PM »
I have a cheap 8000lb winch, I wouldn't go any smaller on a Track/Kick. I think the 'secret' with cheap winches is to take your time with the recovery. Pull in a bit at a time and let the motor rest a while so it doesn't overheat.
yea, but don;t expect that to get you up a long climb ... the spool in/out *is* very nice to have when someone is holding the rig on a long haul up since the winch bitach may have to reset 2 or 3 times.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.

Buy-it, Build-it, Beat-it, Part-it