Hello Guest

oil in water/your thoughts

• 5 Replies

Offline 90Stomper

oil in water/your thoughts
« on: October 01, 2007, 03:48:06 PM »
my G/Fs 93 tracker auto 2 door - went to do the winter checks and WOW, the radiator overflow had A LOT of oil in it.  car uses/looses about 1/4 qt per month and has 150k miles.  was no oil 2 months ago and still runs good, no smoke.  no water in oil either.
want to know what everyone thinks before i change to motor or tear into hers.  thanks all!
2004 chevy tracker, 4door, V6
says 'Chevy' on the outside,
but its covered with lots of big 'S's on the inside ;)

Offline sidekicksrock

• Lil Suzys Dad
Re: oil in water/your thoughts
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 04:01:28 PM »
Head gasket
Student of Now Master of Then

Offline jzap

• How difficult can it be?
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 05:26:24 PM »
Head gasket

...or cracked block or cracked head...
Jim Z.
96 Tracker
66 Apache camper

Offline 90Stomper

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 07:43:26 PM »
well thats what i told her, i was hoping i was wrong.  crap, i hate messing with the motor.  o, the odd thing is, there is no oil in the radiator... guess it floats to the top and got sucked into the overflow?

thanks. :(

Offline brentd27

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 08:46:49 PM »
Stupid question, but she didn't try to do maintenance herself and put the oil in the wrong spot did she?

Offline 90Stomper

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 08:19:37 PM »
well i drained the rad and yep, its oil.  100%.  it was all sludgy at the bottom.  ordered the head gasket set.

Stupid question, but she didn't try to do maintenance herself and put the oil in the wrong spot did she?

LOL, yah, we had that 'talk' and it wernt perdy!  if that would have been the case there would have been more oil and less water in the tank.  and by the way she yelled at me about her 'baby' etc, i pretty sure she didnt do it. :P

the good news is that i started taking it apart today and found that the exhaust manifold is cracked through in 2 places.  not sure why.... dont really care at this point.  i said 'junk it', she said 'save it!'.  so friday i am going to the yard to look for a manifold.....  ya know its not as much fun to work on them when there only used for more than driving to work every day......