Hello Guest

i want the 3inch Calmini lift but not the shocks& struts...help

• 11 Replies

Offline Jookycola

• 1995 Tracker LSi 4x4 16v 2-door
    • My car domain site for the tracker.
i want the 3inch Calmini lift but not the shocks& struts...help
« on: September 24, 2007, 08:14:55 PM »
i guess i'll have to either eat the cost of those stiff shocks...or post them for sale here when i get it, but what's a good off-the-shelf replacement for the struts and shocks that come with the kit.  I'm looking for something with a smoother ride i have no intention at all to add tube bumpers or a winch i don't care for the look of them.  I just don't need the harsh ride since it's my DD.  And OME's sound fantastic...but after shelling out nearly $1000 for the lift kit, the last thing i want to do is put out another $500 or so on new shocks and struts.

I need help before i order this kit.
  [/url]

Offline museboy07

Re: i want the 3inch Calmini lift but not the shocks& struts...help
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 09:18:16 PM »
Nearly a 1000?  Its gonna be a little over that with shipping.  You can always buy the lift without the struts and shocks..they only deduct 100 bucks though so you'd be better off buying the whole thing and selling them here.  But the OME and the best option if you want ride quality.
1994 Tracker, 2in Ironman springs w/ 1in spacers on top, soon to have custom diff drop brackets, 31x10.5-15 All Tarrains, Pro Comp long travel shocks, KYB performance struts, strut mount flip w/2in extensions, 3in rear a-arm spacer, ...DD

Offline HotRod

• 95 Tracker
    • cardomain.
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 10:33:04 PM »
Nearly a 1000?  Its gonna be a little over that with shipping.  You can always buy the lift without the struts and shocks..they only deduct 100 bucks though so you'd be better off buying the whole thing and selling them here.  But the OME and the best option if you want ride quality.
Tru but OME don't give you the Goods for Max lift but good ride.
Calmini has the Control arms, diff drop brackets, extended rear arms, Brake lines and Rear 3rd Link.
OME has Good struts and shocks(?) and decend spring rates.
But you get what you pay for.
Calmini is 70% what you want.
OME is 30% what you need.
I run the Calmini 3"inch lift, OME struts and Rancho 5000 shocks.
I'm now happy with the ride.
95 2dr Geo Tracker with Calmini 6"inch combo lift, 32'inch BFGs M/Tlocked and loaded--D.D is my 06 Racy RED Aerio SX AWD

Offline locjaw

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 07:22:22 AM »
i guess i'll have to either eat the cost of those stiff shocks...or post them for sale here when i get it, but what's a good off-the-shelf replacement for the struts and shocks that come with the kit.  I'm looking for something with a smoother ride i have no intention at all to add tube bumpers or a winch i don't care for the look of them.  I just don't need the harsh ride since it's my DD.  And OME's sound fantastic...but after shelling out nearly $1000 for the lift kit, the last thing i want to do is put out another $500 or so on new shocks and struts.

I need help before i order this kit.
you have no choice. i know thats not what you want to hear, but it's the reality ! if you want the ride you gotta pay the price for it. it's the lifted sidekick downfall >:(
1995 Sidekick SAS'd "Trail Slayer"
1993 4 door lifted "Road Warrior"
1995 4 door stocker "CreamPuff"

Offline Jookycola

• 1995 Tracker LSi 4x4 16v 2-door
    • My car domain site for the tracker.
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 11:25:37 AM »
Quote from: locjaw
you have no choice. i know thats not what you want to hear, but it's the reality ! if you want the ride you gotta pay the price for it. it's the lifted sidekick downfall >:(

I have no problem with the price.  That was not the question.  It's ride quality...so that being said HotRod you think the Rancho 5000 series on the back are better than the OME units?  I was just going to suck up the cost of the calmini units and sell them here i guess and go all OME.  But now you have me interested in the Ranchos for the rear.  Does Rancho make a comparable strut to the OME units as well?
  [/url]

Offline chet

• Zuki time!
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 11:36:29 AM »
on my 4 door I used shocks for a '97 f150 in the back and OME struts in the front. it is really smooth now. RS5000's may be a little stiff.

The OME struts are worth the price but not the back shocks. I coulnd't believe the difference the struts made. we just did a weekend of wheelin with lots of gravel roads between trails and I could outrun the guys in the coil sprung TJ's this year!! potholes were a non issue.
1991 4 door kick, 2" coil spacers, 30" Coopers, winch, locker, rust, dents, etc.

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 06:32:35 PM »
KYB front struts...$65 each delivered if you look around.  Got mine from www.Rock-Auto.com .

Rear shocks for a '98 F150 2wd are a perfect fit for the rear of our Trackers with the 3" Calmini lift.  I used the NAPA brand truck shocks (the blue ones) and they are far better quality, monotubes, and manage to be slightly shorter compressed AND slightly longer extended than the Calmini shocks.  Oh, and they cost me $24 each instead of the $30 something Calmini wants for each of theirs.

Offline Mikerpm4x4

• Redline... all the time!
    • www.rpm4x4.com
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 07:25:57 PM »
Go with the calmini 2 inch kit. The ride is way better.  Add a 3/4 inch spacer to the front and a 1inch to the rear, OME struts and you have a 3 inch kit that is way easier to install and will preform amazing without the added weight that the 3 inch kit was designed for.  Im not sure what rear shocks to swap in with that application but a rancho 9000 in the same length as the calminis would be my choice.

Mike
If your not living life to the fullest then your not living at all.

You wont really know if your wrong till your upsidedown

Cuthulu

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 07:32:16 PM »
I put Old Man Emu under my Tracker 2 weeks ago and they are so worth the money.  Smooth, good recovery, just silky as hell.  If you mountain bike then it is like going from a hard tail to a nice full suspension.  No other way to discribe it, by far the best suspension I have ever bought and I have run Ranchos and KYB on two other vehicals.

Offline HotRod

• 95 Tracker
    • cardomain.
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 07:36:59 PM »
Quote from: locjaw

I have no problem with the price.  That was not the question.  It's ride quality...so that being said HotRod you think the Rancho 5000 series on the back are better than the OME units?  I was just going to suck up the cost of the calmini units and sell them here i guess and go all OME.  But now you have me interested in the Ranchos for the rear.  Does Rancho make a comparable strut to the OME units as well?
I don't know about the OME rear shocks
OME struts and the rancho 5000s is what I run and I'm happy with them.
I ran the rancho 9000s but wiped them out when my 3rd link let loose and over rotated the axle and Crushed the tubs.
5000s were in my budget and not too bad.
35 bucks compared to $75
Beats what came with the lift ;)
95 2dr Geo Tracker with Calmini 6"inch combo lift, 32'inch BFGs M/Tlocked and loaded--D.D is my 06 Racy RED Aerio SX AWD

Offline RJkick

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 04:17:11 PM »
Not be be off subject but with the different than Calmini shocks, did it help the coil bind at all?

Also, I heard a while back Calmini was supposed to come out with new struts - any word or still just rumor?
92 Sidekick 1.6L 16v Calmini\OME 4.5" lift 3" Body Lift OME962 springs in front w\.75" spacers OME955 in rear w\1.75" spacers Extreme Duty Strut Eliminator kit and rear ProComp MX6 Shocks 31X10.50 Nexen M\T   Thorley Header   2" exhaust  Calmini front truss bar and stabilizer and skids   Custom Bumpers and Rock Rails  Limit Straps

Offline cj

• I drive a really big ATV
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 05:33:11 PM »
Not be be off subject but with the different than Calmini shocks, did it help the coil bind at all?

You need bumpstops that are long enough to prevent coil bind. Shocks are NOT bumpstops.