Hello Guest

Opinions--Buy Same Size Spare?

• 16 Replies

Ira

Opinions--Buy Same Size Spare?
« on: September 19, 2007, 06:13:07 AM »
Going from 205s to 235s. How many of you did the same thing but said the hell with it--I'll keep the 205 spare?

We don't get a lot of flats down here in my neck of the urban woods.

If I don't have to buy a spare, that leaves me more money for something else, including beer.

Re: Opinions--Buy Same Size Spare?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 06:17:16 AM »
Going from 205s to 235s. How many of you did the same thing but said the hell with it--I'll keep the 205 spare?

We don't get a lot of flats down here in my neck of the urban woods.

If I don't have to buy a spare, that leaves me more money for something else, including beer.

I always buy 5 tires, so spare is equal.  Rotate the spare into the mix every 5K miles.  All important to keep spare the same size if using a lunchbox locker.

Ira

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 06:23:01 AM »
I give up:

What's a lunchbox locker?

Offline jzap

• How difficult can it be?
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 06:34:44 AM »
Depends...

On the front, in 4wd on pavement with the hubs locked, a different size spare can cause binding and possibly damage to the front diff.  If you will use it just in an emergency, in 2wd with the hubs runnuing free, it will get you to the repair shop and probably won't make much of a difference.

Another thing to check is whether or not a 235 spare will clear the bumper when you close the tailgate.  I have heard that they won't.

I am running 225s', still have the 205 spare on my truck.  I think of it as the equivalent of the "doughnut" spare they use in cars today.  I would use it in an emergency, but not for long...
Jim Z.
96 Tracker
66 Apache camper

Ira

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 06:56:36 AM »

Another thing to check is whether or not a 235 spare will clear the bumper when you close the tailgate.  I have heard that they won't.

I was thinking the exact same thing, that you would have to rerig the arm for the spare to raise it, not a very desireable option.

Stainless

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 08:47:10 AM »
Can anyone else confirm the 235/75/15 spare not fitting on the rear bumper?  Heh, that sucks, I just went out and picked up a set of 235's so that I could have a full size spare.

I got a set of 4 pretty decent used Uniroyal Laredos off of Craigslist for $40, so the beer budget wasn't hit too hard, and I've got extras for my grand cherokee and my dad's blazer. ;)

-Al.

Offline Uncivilized

• Car Domain
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 09:13:18 AM »
Can anyone else confirm the 235/75/15 spare not fitting on the rear bumper?  Heh, that sucks, I just went out and picked up a set of 235's so that I could have a full size spare.

I got a set of 4 pretty decent used Uniroyal Laredos off of Craigslist for $40, so the beer budget wasn't hit too hard, and I've got extras for my grand cherokee and my dad's blazer. ;)

-Al.
I had a 235/75 on my stock spare carrier, fit great. Right now I have a worn out 31x12.5 that measures about 29.75". I had to let out most of the air to fit it though, it's at about 6psi.

I've had a few sets of tires on my Trackers now, and every time I bought a different set, I always went to a junkyard or looked through the papers for a used same size spare. The way I see it, they're only there for an emergency, but that's just me  ::)

wezeles

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 01:09:58 PM »
i also fit the 235 just fine on my spare rack of a 99-04 tracker im sure the vitara would fit the same as the xl7 all the same vehical... its close but still got enough room biggest it will clear is a 29.5 tire i would say without an lift adapter to move the spare out and up...

i would say get the spare now because you never know how easy it will be to find an extra tire to match what you have now, and if you dont have the cash at the time for the spare your gonna drive around looking goofy till you save up the cash and be unable to use your 4 wheel drive untill you find it... and it just makes the rig look that much better when its done

dc6287

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 01:15:15 PM »
 235 cleared the bumper and brakelight with 3.75 backspace on my 94... barely but it fits. What tires are you going with?

Dan C.

Ira

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 01:37:46 PM »
I'm probably going with the Uniroyal Liberator A/T ($85), but if I feel real cheap, the Goodyear Wrangler ($60). Wal-Mart carries them in-store, and since my wife works there, I get 10% off. You can also order a bucnh of other models vonline and they'll ship for pickup at your local WM at no charge.

Thing is, I'm also gonna be replacing the rear bumper with the dual tube Calmini, so who knows what the deal with fitting the spare is gonna be then.

Still gonna just buy 4 now. After I put the new bumper on, I'll check the fit with the new tire.

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 04:32:27 PM »
Get a spare of the same size.  235/75R15 is such a common size you should be able to get one for dirt cheap in a junkyard, a tire places' used tire rack, eBay, Craigslist, local 4x4 sites, etc etc etc.
When I had my first Tracker a guy GAVE me a 235/75R15 AT he had sitting around left over from another vehicle.
I recently got a used 31" mud as a spare for my Tracker for $30 delivered.

It's like the rental car option on insurance...sure it's an extra $30 for 6 months and you might not need it...but after that accident wouldn't that rental car option sure be nice?
To me at least, it's a lot easier to just throw the proper sized spare on and then worry about getting the regular tire fixed when I have time instead of immediately having to change or make plans so I can go and get the correct sized tire fixed/replaced.

It should fit just fine.  I've done it on a Tracker I had and it fit fine.  Heck, I've seen guys hang 33's on their Trackers' rear doors.  At about a 31" and above you need to either buy or make a spacer to locate the thing up and out but a 235 should fit just fine.
If anything the Calmini bumper will give you more room for a bigger spare.

Offline karl214

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 05:33:29 PM »
Going from 205s to 235s. If your going thru a Wally-Mart in Michigan they WON'T let you go to a 235... Unless you take in rims and DON'T tell them your putting them on a tracker
Rust in Peace Black Bugger..1994 sidekick... Planing on a Digger"donuts" and 3 inch bodylift, topped off with 31x10.50's in the spring.New D.D 90 softtop lilblue with the heart of black bugger

Ira

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 07:43:17 PM »
Going from 205s to 235s. If your going thru a Wally-Mart in Michigan they WON'T let you go to a 235... Unless you take in rims and DON'T tell them your putting them on a tracker

I thought I could just buy the tires there. I was gonna have my guy mount and balance.

Now you got me thinking.

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 08:11:35 PM »
This is a common complaint about WalMart's auto/tire division.  If you show up with a vehicle and want tires that their book doesn't say fit it...expect trouble.
However if you show up with some wheels and say put those on it...or just buy the tires from them...they don't seem to care.  Their concern for your "safety" seems to end as soon as it's not their problem.

Offline Jookycola

• 1995 Tracker LSi 4x4 16v 2-door
    • My car domain site for the tracker.
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 11:31:37 AM »
the best place to get a 235 for your spare is a used tire shop.  It's your spare, it doesn't need to be new.  I have BFG K/O's they run $128 a tire.  I got my 235 K/O spare at a used place for $40.
  [/url]