Hello Guest

A/C to on board air

• 16 Replies

Offline 95tracker

• It'll fit Perfect!!!
A/C to on board air
« on: September 18, 2007, 07:41:30 AM »
Does anyone have a write up on the A/C compressor to on board air conversion. I know a little about it as i have done a little research but never found a write up, i am very interested in doing this conversion but i also need to keep it as cheap as possible.  So if the compressor conversion isn't as cheap and easy as i think it is what are my other opions? Thanks in advanced.

Offline sidekicksrock

• Lil Suzys Dad
Re: A/C to on board air
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 08:57:22 AM »
The stock AC compressor off a kick works quite well. I converted mine back in the 90's and it is still working. Well I need to replace the clutch bearing right now.

You need The compressor with hoses and bracket plus the crank pulley.

To create an on/off switch for the compressor just run the clutch wire to a switch then to a 12v source. If you are going to use a tank, run from the clutch thru the pressure switch to the on/off switch to the 12v source. On top of the compressor is a bracket with two hoses. I routed the intake side into the kick's engine air filter, I cut the hose leaving about 1 inch of metal tube on the end then cut a hole in the filter housing above the filter and press fit the tube a little silicone on the inside sealed it up. The other hose I cut at the end of the rubber part and fitted a hose to threaded fitting reduced it to the right size and ran it into a distribution block.

Because you are now running air instead of freon thru the system you need to lube the compressor. When I first put this together people I knew with this kind of setup were putting a capful of slick fifty in the intake side of the compressor periodically. now that I know more about lubricants I would recommend a good quality synthetic oil somewhere around a 30 weight a capful every couple of months depending on how much you use the compressor should be fine. If you want to be real slick put a small oil separator in-line. When there gets to be close to a capful of oil in the separator put more oil in the compressor. Dave
Student of Now Master of Then

Offline 95tracker

• It'll fit Perfect!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 05:43:24 PM »
What are the pros/cons of having a tank? also if i use a tank where does the pressure switch go? and arent they made for not allowing the compressor to come on if it is low on freon. I think there is such a thing called a high pressure switch isnt that what i would want to use?

Thank you for all your info, all you guys on this board have been a huge help on everything.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 05:45:18 PM by 95tracker »

Offline sidekicksrock

• Lil Suzys Dad
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 07:50:18 PM »
What are the pros/cons of having a tank? also if i use a tank where does the pressure switch go? and arent they made for not allowing the compressor to come on if it is low on freon. I think there is such a thing called a high pressure switch isnt that what i would want to use?

Based on your questions above I would recommend that you not convert a ac unit to air. buy an electric compressor and be done with it. Dave
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 07:52:08 PM by sidekicksrock »

Offline biker

• It's a sickness I tell ya
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 10:10:45 PM »
There is a really good writeup on Acks site http://www.ackerdackerly.com, It's what I went by to build mine. hope it helps
94 Kick with bigger tires
99 Vitara 2wd
10 Gr Vitara

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 12:51:03 AM »
What are the pros/cons of having a tank?

The Cons - Extra plumbing and you have to have the space for the tank in the first place.

The Pros - You have air on tap instead of only being able to use what your engine can put out.  This comes in really handy if you want to run small air tools.  Unless you go with a rather large air compressor you probably won't be able to run full sized air tools off of just your pump.  At least not happily.  It also means that putting a bit of air in your tires will take a minute or two instead of 10-20 depending on how fast your pump is.

You can also get air with your car turned off.

If your going to be using air lockers then you can operate for a while without having to have your compressor turned on, meaning more down time on your compressor so it doesn't wear out as quickly.  Basically, if you have space I say put in a tank.  If your going to be running air lockers, you need a tank of some sort.  Even if it is just a converted Colman propane bottle from a camp stove.

96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Rodzilla

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 03:39:43 AM »
I've got an ARB locker and the inflater kit. Which has already come in handy for a puncture which happened 2 days after having it installed. My front right went flat while running errands, and I'm waiting for my new Calimini rear bumper/tirecarrier to show up so I had no spare. Aired my tire back up with the compressor in 5 minutes to get me to a tire shop. I don't have an airtank, I would like one but probably wont happen. In the end the compressor will have to work the same amount, whether filling your tire or refilling a tank. In short you would be very happy with a rear airlocker and even more with the ability to air up tires.

Offline 95tracker

• It'll fit Perfect!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 02:34:47 PM »

[/quote]Based on your questions above I would recommend that you not convert a ac unit to air. buy an electric compressor and be done with it. Dave
[/quote]

what is this supposed to mean i like a challenge and love learning new things if i was affraid to learn how to do stuff  then i would not be able to do anything. I think you should encourage me to try out new things instead of critisize me.

Lunchbox5k

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 02:50:03 PM »
I think this is a great idea, I've never heard of doing such a thing. I always have to take a 5 gal. spare air tank with me so could I use that as a storage tank.

phloop

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 10:46:28 PM »
95tracker. If I can find the info on converting a stock Samurai AC unit into an air compressor, I will let you know. If you do not mind the plumbing job, then a converted AC unit will be better than a 12v dc unit. And I am sure that going from the Samurai to the kick/track will be dang near the same thing except for some mounting issues.

And for those that take extra air with them in a tank, why? Ever think about just pumping the spair up to 80 or 90 psi? Takes up less room than a tank. And for the 12v guys, the air volume is where the engine driven compressor will rule over a 12v system. 

Offline sidekicksrock

• Lil Suzys Dad
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 11:55:05 AM »
what is this supposed to mean i like a challenge and love learning new things if i was affraid to learn how to do stuff  then i would not be able to do anything. I think you should encourage me to try out new things instead of critisize me.

OK granted, I apologize.

You really need to get with someone locally who knows something about air compressor systems. Dave

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 12:21:50 PM »
The ARB pumps have small tanks built into them.  Not very much mind you, but enough to run your air lockers a few times.  Otherwise the engine would be running the entire time your ARB was turned on.  I was saying you need a small tank if you are running a non-arb pump.  You can find nice ones in the back of old Caddy's with adjustable rear air bag suspensions.  I use a 40 dollar Napa pump, the red case one.  Has worked well for going on 3 years and takes about 3 minutes to bring my 33x12.5 from 6 pounds to 25.  Then the new small ARB pump for my front locker.

Sold a Sammy off to an guy who dissapeared a while back.  He converted the AC over to an Air compressor, plumed in a 3.5 gallon tank in the back and put spots to jack into the air system on each side of his Zuki.  That way he could easily plug into the air system to fill up his tires or run tools from both sides of the Sammy or from the back.  For oil he just bought a filter that has oil in it, so when it drew air it automatically oiled up the pump.  Quite a nice little setup.

If you are wondering how to wire it, pretty much all AC units are plumbed the same way, there are only so many ways of doing it.  So a writeup on how to convert a Jeep AC unit should work for how to convert the Zuki one.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

PhnxCaller

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 07:37:31 PM »
If you want to bypass the inline oiler and water/oil seperator, just get a compressor that is internally oiled, for example a York compressor. You can find these compressors at any wrecking yard.  They usually come in older 80's and 70's fords, volvos and AMC cars. These are really well made compressors and will put out plenty of CFM's.  I bought mine at a yard for $20 out the door. Just hook up a pressure switch, check valve and a small tank and you are basically ready to go. (not including all the plumbing mounting parts) just google York onboard air, you'l get tons of great sites. For a Suzuki AC buildup check out izook.com for a complete tutorial on a on-board-air system using the stock suzuki ac compressor. A great project, useful tool and fun to build!

Offline jzap

• How difficult can it be?
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 10:24:04 PM »
Here is a link to the IZOOK.COM article on a complete on-board air system, from adding an oiler to lubricate a converted AC compressor to fitting up a tank.

http://www.izook.com/tech/samurai/body/oba/oba.htm
Jim Z.
96 Tracker
66 Apache camper

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2007, 08:22:42 AM »
There is a really good writeup on Acks site http://www.ackerdackerly.com, It's what I went by to build mine. hope it helps

Thanks for the mention, biker!

The above link no longer works. Try this link for a revised and updated HTML-based version of the article:

http://www.acksfaq.com/ac-conv.html

Hope that this helps!
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com