Hello Guest

samurai engine

• 4 Replies

samurai87

samurai engine
« on: September 15, 2007, 09:17:24 PM »
hey, I just bought a '87 suzuki samurai I got it for cheap but the engine was in pieces so I was just wondering if any of you guys have any tips on what might need to be replaced and stuff like that.  any information you might have will be appreciated, thanks.

Offline daddyizzle

• Colorado is still my home!!
Re: samurai engine
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 09:58:11 AM »
I'm guessing you've never worked on an engine rebuild. Your best bet is to find a good used engine to drop in or send it to a rebuild shop if you want to pay $$.

Where are you located? I have one intact that needs a carb rebuild possibly and  a couple o-rings and gaskets (easy with the engine out). Or run it the way it is if you don't mind a few oil drops.

Or you can search this forum for engine options and either way, definitely part out the one you have.

-Adam
If all criminals were behind bars, there would be no one left to patrol the streets.

86 Samurai Tin-Top stock with a Harley 44 sidedraft carb

samurai87

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 07:13:44 PM »
I live in pueblo colorado, I have helped rebuild my friends 22r but we had some help from a mechanic he knew. I ve already bought a gasket kit for my samurai's engine. so would it not be worth it to put the original engine back together?

PhnxCaller

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 09:48:06 PM »
If the engine is in parts, it will be a great time to do a simple rebuild. Remember this engine is close to 20 yrs+. You should at least replace oil pump, water pump all new seals and gaskets and bearing(main, rod and thrust) piston rings, timing belt. Just grab a haynes or chilton manual, it has the complete rebuild step by step. You can judge from there what you want to do. A rebuild sounds intimidating but its actually pretty easy and cheap, if done right, you'll save $100's. If you do decide to rebuild a great source for parts is partsdinosaur.com Very good prices. Plus if you rebuild it, you'll know your truck from the inside out!

ace69247no13

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 01:59:26 AM »
I live in pueblo colorado, I have helped rebuild my friends 22r but we had some help from a mechanic he knew. I ve already bought a gasket kit for my samurai's engine. so would it not be worth it to put the original engine back together?

if you want help with the rebuild i live in denver and i am a mechanic.