Hello Guest

91 Sidekick 4- door calipers swap

• 10 Replies

nprecon

91 Sidekick 4- door calipers swap
« on: August 28, 2007, 11:51:35 AM »
OK, here's another curiosity that has been eating at me about for about 2 years now.  My first Suzuki was a '91 4 - door Sidekick (which is still the love of my life but I cheated on her and sold her after 225K miles).   I called her Rogue.  Frankly, she was a bitch, but I still loved her.  Yes, it was true love... but I was young and... anyway I noticed when I was changing brakes on virtually all my newer Suzukis/Geos/Trackers as I bought them through the years was that the '91 brake pads had about another 1" of pad length over all the newer trucks I bought, to include the '2000 and my current '02 GV-body style Trackers.  I also recall I had to ask for either a year older or year newer pads to fit the calipers on the '91.   I had a Suzuki RM for several years and at that time Suzuki would manufacture updates into their lines so you always had to know what model bike you had within the year you were asking for on parts.   Maybe that is the deal here, I don't know.

The '91 Sidekick had vented rotors (as all the 4 -doors do I believe) so I am curious about what the chances that a set of these earlier calipers from a '91 would bolt right on to my current '02 tracker.  According to my alley math this would be an excellent way to increase my front braking clamp power by 20%? since I have upgraded to a slightly larger tire.   I'm currently running Michelin 235/70/15s on the stock argent steel wheels which are only 1" larger in diameter than the stock 205s.  My Magellen tells me I am crusinig at true speed now.  Go figure.

Anyone had this Suzuki out of body experience yet?  It would appear this route might be a quicker and cheaper way to upgrade the front skids.

Norm

Re: 91 Sidekick 4- door calipers swap
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 01:26:38 PM »
My girl is named Samantha.  She's my sweetheart.  I've loved her from moment I laid eyes I her.

Several years ago, she wanted me to "spice" things up.  That's when I brought home Vicky (the GV).  But Samantha was cool with it.  We now have threesomes.

Offline Uncivilized

• Car Domain
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 02:08:46 PM »

Offline SnoFalls

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 02:20:41 PM »
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.

Buy-it, Build-it, Beat-it, Part-it

Offline Uncivilized

• Car Domain
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 06:59:28 AM »
For that size tire, I wouldn't think the braking would be affected enough to make that swap. I've read plenty on these sites and I don't remember reading of anyone putting 1st gen brakes on a 2nd gen. You may be the first ;)

We now have threesomes.
:o

yea, but you can only "drive" one at a time  ;D

There's always a favorite too... and one get neglected. That's when the jealousy sets in.
Trouble I tell ya.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 07:05:09 AM by Uncivilized »

Offline whateverworks

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 07:37:11 AM »
Several years ago, she wanted me to "spice" things up.  That's when I brought home Vicky (the GV).  But Samantha was cool with it.  We now have threesomes.

YOU SICK BASTARD... LOL :)

Actually my first was the 96 4dr... Now I just bought a 93 4dr as well...
The 96 is black and the 93 is white... Guess I have positive and negative 'Kicks now :)

Kelly
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 07:42:29 AM by whateverworks »

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 10:40:12 AM »
I thought that the GVs had bigger brakes anyway which was why they had to have 16" rims? Now you say that you have 15" rims stock, I'm confused  ???
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

nprecon

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 12:54:16 PM »
Rhinoman;

Trackers come with 15" rims standard, and the GVs come with 16" rims as you stated.   Why?.., I don't know why.  My reference to the GV was in reference to the similarities in body styles to the Chevy Tracker which used the GV body style.    Vitara has different meanings, me thinks, to our Australian wheelers.  When I was searching for a header for my 2L, I finally located a dealer in Australia.  When I checked their web site, I found their Vitara equals the body style of our 98 and earlier model Sidekicks/GEO/Trackers.  This led to my other question on the forum about "are the engines the same and would that header fit my 2002 GV body style truck... ".

These trucks are basically all the same... with only slight differences between the years of manufacture, but these small diffences appear to be where the questions and discussions come up.

It would be t-o-o-o easy if they had even more interchangable parts!

Uncivilized;

I want more front braking!   They all went with the vented front rotors on the 4-doors, but (Trackers at least) retained the smaller pad.  I have replaced two rotors due to warpage.  At Auto Zone they cost $75 dollars each.  I'm thinking if the pads were larger they would reduce the overall heat build-up (less warpage) in addition to creating "more better" front braking.   I never replaced a rotor on my '91 Suzuki (with over 225K on it).  All my replacements have been with the newer models with the smaller pads.   That was the nexus of my original question.

Norm

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 05:12:50 AM »
My reference to the GV was in reference to the similarities in body styles to the Chevy Tracker which used the GV body style.    Vitara has different meanings, me thinks, to our Australian wheelers.
Norm

Same for the UK, the first gen model was sold as the Vitara through till 2003. The GV was sold alongside but as a GV and not a Vitara (confusing huh?).
I wonder if the vented discs are a weak point. There have been problems with them on the Jimnys. Helen had hers replaced after less than 30K due to warping, I didn't get to see them to see how badly worn they were (big argument with the main dealer over the warranty!)
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline Uncivilized

• Car Domain
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 07:47:07 AM »
May not apply directly, but still some good info to help choose which grade parts to buy to match you're braking habits.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml#

nprecon

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 04:57:50 PM »
Great detail on how the brake system, pads, rotors and fluids.   Thanks uncivilized.