Hello Guest

Snorkle questions

• 32 Replies

Offline 1bigtracker

• F*** trail rated, try trail tested
Re: Snorkle questions
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2004, 03:37:14 AM »
here is mine i made.  it goes back into the cab.  The pic you see is with the drivers fender off.  works ok till the water gets more then 3 feet deep.

stu

Offline explosivo

• I'm in the northern part of that one state.
    • omghi2u Gen. Discussion Forums
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2004, 11:38:43 AM »

Explosivo, I was wondering about the filter set-up like yours. Doesn't it get wet and make the carb run like it's on the choke ( remember my bikes with K&N's running bad in the rain due to wet filters ).

I asked around for the Cyclone filtercaps like the Landrover Defender run and they are about 40 Euro's ( so just over $ 40,-  ) so that might be a good alternative. I'm going to have the pipe running from the filterbox to the windowsill bent by someone that makes exhausts.  Any thought on pipe diameter ? Air-entrance in the original filterbox is very small, so 2 "pipe should suffice ?
( stock 1300, stock carbed 88 Samuari )

Pics will follow of course ;)

I haven't felt any difference while driving, but I have noticed a bit of dirt has gotten in when I checked everything out, so I'm currently reworking the design and trying to incorperate some sort of cover.
omghi2.us[/url]
"Its a ZUKI thing. Doing more with less than less with more." -- HotRod

Offline ed oorklep

• 1992 Suzuki Vitara
    • Suzuki Vitara 4x4
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2004, 06:02:13 AM »
I promised to put some pic's up of mine:

Hope it helps  ;D

http://www.suzukivitara4x4.nl
1992 Suzuki Vitara
8cm Body-lift, 33 12.5 R15 General Grabber MT's.
ARB Bull Bar.
3" Suspension lift.

Offline Cwkick

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2004, 07:47:31 AM »
Ed,

What did you use for the elbow on the wing (fender) and what is the thing on top (cap)??

Cwkick

Offline ed oorklep

• 1992 Suzuki Vitara
    • Suzuki Vitara 4x4
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2004, 02:06:55 AM »
It's all normal PVC tubing, the angles you can buy in a do-it-yourself shop (at least over here in holland).
It's just a 90 degree and a 45 degree bend.
The cap is used to put on a pipe that has to be closed off (a pipe of a bigger diameter off course) I cut pieces of the sides out of the upper 45 degree bent so the air-flow would still be there.
1992 Suzuki Vitara
ARB Bull Bar.
3" Suspension lift.

Offline nitromax

• FunZilla's alive !
    • NitroMax's Pages
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2004, 02:23:54 AM »
It's all normal PVC tubing, the angles you can buy in a do-it-yourself shop (at least over here in holland).
It's just a 90 degree and a 45 degree bend.
The cap is used to put on a pipe that has to be closed off (a pipe of a bigger diameter off course) I cut pieces of the sides out of the upper 45 degree bent so the air-flow would still be there.

Ed, kun je een foto posten van de uitsparingen die je in het uiteinde gemaakt hebt ?

In foreign: Ed, could you post a picture of the way you made the cut-outs in the toppiece ?

;)
1600 cc 8v, MegaSquirt EFI, Camden SuperCharger, Calmini 3" Shackle Reversal, IronMan 3"suspension lift, SPOA and 2"bodylift, 4.16 T-case, QuickLok rear, 33x12.5 ProComp XT's on 8"rims with 1"wheelspacers.

Check it all on : www.nitromax.nl
International editor |removethispart|@ www.izook.com

Offline ed oorklep

• 1992 Suzuki Vitara
    • Suzuki Vitara 4x4
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2004, 02:42:09 AM »
Hey all,

Mijn officiele naam is Ben  ;D ed oorklep is een bijnaam  ;)
Van deze tekening heb ik mijn inspiratie gehaald:

Meer info op de site:
http://www.terra.es/personal/vamtac/snorkel/index.htm
In foreing (english  ;D)
The name's Ben  ;D ed's my nickname  ;D
Here's a pic of the guy I got the idea from

More info to be found on his site:

Grtz Ben.
1992 Suzuki Vitara
ARB Bull Bar.
3" Suspension lift.

Offline nitromax

• FunZilla's alive !
    • NitroMax's Pages
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2004, 03:45:12 AM »
Hey all,

Which translates through Babelfish to:

Then already it had desire to put one to him, but it did not dare to me... Thank heavens that an friend, Tato, gave to me a steel tube of 50mm of Ø and I was decided down... you have the sketches that I became before putting in task I looked for in several sites some type of support who offered a minimum of guarantee and solidity to me, but no convinced to me, so I did me, with table plastic to cut (polyurethane) very very resistant! I took thousand measures, but the truth is that until you do not put yourself no it seems good to you, so I was decided to be doing and solving the problems according to they arose, although did not arise many... In the photo of the tube without painting the snorkel it is seen very long, but in which it is painted of black is possible to be seen its present size. 2 elbows of 90º, a one of 45º tube of 1 m (75 cm. exceeded to me or but), everything of pvc of plumbing glue of the best one than I found a good tooth to be able to give to form to the supports (each one had a curvature different to adapt to the car) and a reel of the 50, that I am that later serious of the 45 (depends on the manufacturer)... a trocito of rubber of that you are put doors to fill up the hole of the plate, which I had to do with small drills (I loaded the other reels). It was good idea to be making the supposed assembly previously with the tube of pvc and the elbows, since me "cantaban" very well by where to follow. the part that is not seen is very simple to make, the worse thing was than in spite of being of 50 mm the elbows they did not enter the steel, so it had to warm up them so that they put blanditos.. like? Boiling them 5 minutitos (soup of pvc) once cold duros shrank and put again! As I am an exaggerated one with the glue, insurance that falls the doors before the snorkel! Also it gave a species me of average sphere also in steel, which welded to a trocito of tube became a wonderful hood. As you see in the drawing of down, it is necessary to cut a trocito of the original tube to obtain connects perfect. I am more than satisfied with the work. Ah! important: under the fin this calderín of air to pressure that serves to use the automatic buckets, which I did was re-to place it in the zone of more ahead, making new agujeritos for the 3 screws which it brings and being equally hidden under the fin.

Glad the drawing and Ben's pictures are clear  ;D

1600 cc 8v, MegaSquirt EFI, Camden SuperCharger, Calmini 3" Shackle Reversal, IronMan 3"suspension lift, SPOA and 2"bodylift, 4.16 T-case, QuickLok rear, 33x12.5 ProComp XT's on 8"rims with 1"wheelspacers.

Offline mrfuelish

• you must have a perception problem.
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2004, 06:37:05 AM »
Why not get creative and get some pvc pipe and come off of your air filter and make a T and run one pipe to the front and another one to the fire wall, cut a small hole in it and run it up under the dash,push a pipe cap on it, when your going to run in water just take the cap from the inside and push it on the pipe in the front of your rig. or you could get fancy and use a couple of pvc ball valves, cheap and no cutting holes in your fender or have to worrie about getting water in it or getting tore off the side of your rig. get two caps and good for anti theift.
1987,1988,1988,1990 samurai's,  1953 m38a1,  1996 x-90,blue.1996 x-90 red.1994 2 door tracker.   only Dead Fish go with the flow.                No Hairy Nosed Wombats were ran over on the trail today.       My ZUK is Xenophobic.

Offline nitromax

• FunZilla's alive !
    • NitroMax's Pages
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2004, 07:44:15 AM »
Why not get creative and get some pvc pipe and come off of your air filter and make a T and run one pipe to the front and another one to the fire wall, cut a small hole in it and run it up under the dash,push a pipe cap on it, when your going to run in water just take the cap from the inside and push it on the pipe in the front of your rig. or you could get fancy and use a couple of pvc ball valves, cheap and no cutting holes in your fender or have to worrie about getting water in it or getting tore off the side of your rig. get two caps and good for anti theift.

Sounds like a marvelous idea !! Never seen any of these "ball valves" you're talking about, but I will ask around and see if I can creat anything like you're describing  ( still......a snorkel on the side looks cool even if it can be taken off by a tree  ;) )

Offline ppltrak

• zukspeed staff
    • zukspeed.com
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2004, 05:35:48 AM »
thanks ;D
94 purple/green splash tracker w/ calmini 3' heavly modified lift 32 11.5 r15 bfg m/t's  & custom air induction and header w/ 2"exh. no cat lockrite rear 2" B/L and a heavy right foot and now 583s steel up front and locked.
2002 GV 2.5l 4.5 ZN lift locked on 31's

Offline chet

• Zuki time!
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2004, 05:46:22 AM »
you could use gate valves as well.

sorta like this

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=6382
« Last Edit: December 08, 2004, 05:47:09 AM by chet »
1991 4 door kick, 2" coil spacers, 30" Coopers, winch, locker, rust, dents, etc.

Offline bioniconion

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2004, 01:15:02 PM »
Do you run a Carb version or an injection. as carb version tend to freese on the highway in the winter

my home made, by a local guy:-)
sorry about the mud but its stainless steel
below is a safari

expensive

had to take it of to make way for the cage

i still want an exo like his
:'(

Offline 92Sidekick4x4

• Spencer Atkinson, 92Sidekick4x4
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2004, 01:27:35 PM »
ed's looks pretty good

my lug nuts require more torque then my engine makes ;)

Offline trialspro

• 1984 suzuki sj410 lwb, spoa... rusty
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2004, 04:54:14 PM »
ive thought about making one that runs through ur firewall and inside the car... definitely not as cool looking but no need to worry about the filter getting wet or anything... i think old jeeps or small army trucks had them
form or function?... oiling it, like ive heard is needed would annoy me after a while i think, might become second nature though

Andrew