Hello Guest

4.5 inch grand vitara suspension lift

• 71 Replies

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
Re: 4.5 inch grand vitara suspension lift
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2007, 06:36:28 PM »
Longer arms and kits that don't drop the arms will allow you to have more ground clearance under the diff but again, you're forcing the suspension to operate further down in the travel cycle.  You're also making the ball joints, cv-shafts, and steering operate at angles they weren't made for.

A short diff drop and longer arms on the stock pivots is basically what the Calmini lift is.

These trucks are setup so that a 2" lift or so is easy and not that had to do.  Beyond that and the lifting gets murky.  However by the time you can fit a 31" or so tire (as some have done with 2" and trimming) you're starting to get to the point where things are going to break and you're also now highgeared no matter what you do.

If you want to run 29-30" tires it's totally doable with the kits out there for these trucks.  Start thinking about 31's and bigger and while the suspension becomes a problem the axles just aren't up to it for actual wheeling use not to mention driving capabilities will suffer.  There's just not a lot of options for these things.
Time to start looking at Toyota axles if you want to go truly big.

Offline blacknight

• Gonzookin
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2007, 06:16:03 AM »
Think what we are looking for is the 4.5 system with with droped a-arms/diff.  The real question is what are you willing to pay for.  A system like this would cost 1500 or better.

George

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2007, 06:37:16 AM »
That's the thing with Whitfield's IFS drop setup...I believe it's a 4" lift but with the 2" coils it's a 6" lift and rides and acts just like the stock suspension with a 2" lift.

For 90% of the people out there this setup, with a nice skidplate, will out perform anything else on the market for their uses and really wouldn't cost much more than the Calmini lift after production was established.

Offline r3cc0s

« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2007, 09:28:53 PM »
FYI -- bumper
Lift details to follow

03' 2.0L CAMI Tracker w/ 1.5" Front Spacers, 2" Rear Spacers, 1 & 1/4" poly-rubber rear spacer w/ hose clamps, Monroe Crown Vic interceptor rear shocks,1/4" bumpstop extenders, 1.5" strut Extenders, removal of sway bar and strut bar + plenty of cutting for 245/75/16 Goodyear MTRs

wezeles

« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2007, 07:27:52 AM »
how tight is that spare? im tossing 31's "30.8 tires" on mine soon wasnt sure if they would clear i know it will be close... 245's is about 30.5 depending on brand
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 07:29:28 AM by wezeles »

Offline blacktrack99

« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2007, 01:45:08 PM »
how tight is that spare? im tossing 31's "30.8 tires" on mine soon wasnt sure if they would clear i know it will be close... 245's is about 30.5 depending on brand
I was wondering that as well.  Plus, having a two-door, I've got the brake light suspended right in the middle to clear with a 31" tire, also.  Plus,
Q1: Is that the bumper Zuki Nation manufactures and doesn't just claim to manufacture like some companies?
Q2: Is it bolt on, or do some things need to be welded?  No worries either way.
Q3: Cost?  I really don't care.  Mostly for the benefit of the forum.
Q4: Is a rear bumper in the works?...preferably w/ an integrated receiver for towing and a swing-away tire carrier

Offline r3cc0s

« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2007, 03:04:35 PM »
Zukination builds everything there
He has pipe benders, all sorts of welders (tig, mig etc...)
He does however have his coils and shocks/struts made for him based upon specs
Um... bracketry etc... are all built by him

The lift is still in its infancy stages so I cannot answer anything in regards to whether it being just a bolt on lift... I know he really wants to build a suspension "solution" rather than just a lift
This being... taking advantage of the 5 link rear, and building the appropriate geometry to provide as much flex as possible (i.e. jonny joints instead of bushings)
This goes to the front as well, so an A-arm relocation or a double wishbone dual a-arm setup might be another solution as opposed to just strut based

Cost... Dependant on where he gets with this lift
Rear bumper? I might get him to make me one... just not sure how Tube would look in the rear, but so far I'm quite happy with the front

Cheers!
03' 2.0L CAMI Tracker w/ 1.5" Front Spacers, 2" Rear Spacers, 1 & 1/4" poly-rubber rear spacer w/ hose clamps, Monroe Crown Vic interceptor rear shocks,1/4" bumpstop extenders, 1.5" strut Extenders, removal of sway bar and strut bar + plenty of cutting for 245/75/16 Goodyear MTRs

Offline Davyboy

• I eat CR-Vs and Rav4s! Mmmmm...yummy little AWDs!
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2007, 04:16:03 PM »
Hmmmmm....I really wanted a steel plate bumper in the front.  IMHO, it looks a little better and covers up a lot of the underneath junk that I don't want to look at.  However, this tube bumper doesn't look too bad, and wouldn't weigh as much.  I would want mine in silver/grey, though.  The black looks good on a black truck.  Is Zukination planning to put this on their site and sell it soon?  Or, are they looking for pre-orders?  How much?  This truck has a 2" body lift, right?  Looks sharp  :)
1999 Grand Vitara w/CALMINI Suspension and RRO Body Lift, 31" Goodyear MTR tires, Skidplates, 5.12 Diffs with a Lock-Right in the rear.

Offline bzzr2

« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2007, 07:54:27 AM »
only problem i have with that bumper is the radiator is still exposed.  add a body lift and it is even more exposed.  something simple like a thick metal screen would cover that area up nicely and cost very little.  otherwise i like the look.  i think a simple tube bumper on the back with a built in receiver would be perfect.  i've already torn the crap sheet metal bumper off on a hidden swamp stump.

your tracker is looking good, can't wait to see the new lift on it! 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 05:48:07 PM by bzzr2 »
03-ZR2, 2dr, 31x10.5 SSR's & stuff...--sold :-(
03 xl7, jeff's 2inch spacer lift, 225/75/16's; sold
09 taco reg cab short box 4x4

« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2011, 08:02:05 PM »
What ever happend to the suspension kit? I am redoing my GV and would like to know about this kit.
01 Tracker - OME Springs, 2" MK1 Body Lift, Warn 6K Winch, 18x9 Wheels, Rear Roll Cage and more.  95 Tracker with all Calmini bolt ons.  96 X-90 with mini lift and Super Swampers, this one has A/C and is an auto, nice.

Offline tcfootball

« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2011, 09:16:31 AM »
What ever happend to the suspension kit? I am redoing my GV and would like to know about this kit.

Ditto

Offline blacktrack99

« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2011, 04:04:38 PM »
Same situation.  I'd like to totally redo my suspension.  Their site has pics and says "in development", but that's also been Rocky Road's story as long as I've owned my Tracker.

« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2011, 06:48:49 PM »
I did phone them the other day, he said they are busy with hunting season and hope to get on the kit again.  He said they make a good lift and do not want to rush it so we will be pleased with the kit, he did mention they will have a new rear link that will be adjustable.  I mentioned the 99-05 Trackers are readily available and priced right so we as owners want aftermarket products.  We have to be ready to put up the funds, what do you think it will cost?
01 Tracker - OME Springs, 2" MK1 Body Lift, Warn 6K Winch, 18x9 Wheels, Rear Roll Cage and more.  95 Tracker with all Calmini bolt ons.  96 X-90 with mini lift and Super Swampers, this one has A/C and is an auto, nice.

Offline bush buster

« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2011, 07:49:22 AM »
i think the price should be comparable to the 4.5" lift they sell for the sidekicks..hopefully not too mucn more :o....i want one!
(FOR SALE, drop me a line) '01 Vitara 2.0, 2" suspension lift, 2" body lift, 31x10.5x15 Interco TRXUS MT's on ford truck turbine rims, 1" wheel spacers, manual hubs, 5125 gears (Sidekick rear and GV steel front). DD/bushmobile "Snowflake"

'06 Impreza - Wife's ride and road tripper

1975 Dodge 360 Sportsman 1 ton van chassis with a 21' Triple E Class C motorhome

Offline blazin00

« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2011, 06:39:30 AM »
Sent them an email yesterday asking for an update on their 4.5" supension kit and they replied right away - "We plan on finishing it up over christmas break..hoping to have it in a truck testing again in early Jan.  Keep in touch."  So hopfully we will see something soon.  I have no idea how long they will "test" it before they offer it for sale but hopefully we won't have to wait for months.  Rocky Road has had a message up on their site for literally years saying they will "soon" be coming out with a long travel kit or something like that, but still nothing.  
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 07:04:30 AM by blazin00 »