Hello Guest

2wd to 4wd conversion

• 10 Replies

Offline jaybyrd92

• 1992 Suzuki Samurai JL
2wd to 4wd conversion
« on: April 23, 2007, 01:46:28 PM »
I am going to convert a 2wd to 4wd. Haven't ever done it before. Does anybody have a guess as to how many man hrs. it will take? I will be working alone biggest part of the time.
                                                                                                               Thanks
Never use money to measure wealth.

Online ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
Re: 2wd to 4wd conversion
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 02:57:03 PM »
I am going to convert a 2wd to 4wd. Haven't ever done it before. Does anybody have a guess as to how many man hrs. it will take? I will be working alone biggest part of the time.
                                                                                                               Thanks

Samurai or Sidekick?

First do a search... This has been discussed.

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline jaybyrd92

• 1992 Suzuki Samurai JL
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 04:08:07 PM »
Sorry I didn't reply sooner, out of town.

I was thinking of converting a '92  Samurai 2wd to 4wd. What do you think?
Never use money to measure wealth.

phloop

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 04:19:54 PM »
That is a good afternoon job. You do not need to do it all in one day if you are by yourself and pressed for time. You can swap in the front axle without putting in the TC or vice-versa. I thought about doing the same thing myself when I was looking for my first Sammy 10+yr's ago. Seemed like all I could find at that time were the 2WD's. At the time I did not have the extra parts that I do now.

Search all you want, some times a question is better than a search.

Offline Sabercat

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 04:29:51 PM »
I did mine this winter.The biggest hurdle is the bracket to mont the front diff to the drivers frame rail(get it off your donner).The pass side one is there.Other than that it's just nuts and bolts.I'd book the whole weekend for it if your pretty handy. ???

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 04:57:27 AM »
I did mine this winter.The biggest hurdle is the bracket to mont the front diff to the drivers frame rail(get it off your donner).The pass side one is there.Other than that it's just nuts and bolts.I'd book the whole weekend for it if your pretty handy. ???

Jaybyrd92 has a Sammy.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline thefirstzukman

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 10:06:48 PM »

WTF?

Samurai not sidekick

phloop

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 04:45:33 PM »
Hey Sabercat, Sammy's have a solid front axle. No front third member brackets to worry about.

See, here is why this is confusing. There is only one forum here for both the Samurai's and the track/kicks while the new models get their one special forum.

Oh well, nothing I can do about it.

subieracer

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 10:08:37 PM »
anyone post a write up for doing this?  i've tried searching but no luck so far....

thanks..

homer74

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 05:17:36 PM »
This job is cake. actually autozone.com has the info in generic terms. I just did the convert last week and its a gravy job you need some advice let me know.

tracker8v4x4

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 06:38:38 PM »
i converted my tracker to 4wd in a couple days by myself it not bad at all but i would suggest pulling the motor to attach the drivers side mount from ur donor you will also need parts from the 4wd hub as well as the trans transfercase and driveshafts