Hello Guest

head gasket

• 4 Replies

Offline R.Cadett.

head gasket
« on: April 09, 2007, 01:11:44 PM »
are head gaskets a common problem for suzukis? i think mine is going but im not sure, what are the symptoms of a bad gasket? and about how much is it to replace? thanks .
95 Completely Stock Sidekick, i added fog lights , and thats about it

Offline jeff1997

• Suzuki: A Jeep thing only cheaper!!!!
Re: head gasket
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 02:31:15 PM »
Not sure how common it is but I just had mine replaced on my 1997 1.8L Sidekick Sport. The easy way to tell is check the tailpipe smoke. If it is white that's water steaming out. Take out the plugs one at a time if one or two plugs looks cleaner than the rest they are getting steam cleaned by the water leaking in. Look at the tops of all pistons w/plugs out, if one or two are shiny or not carboned up they are also getting steam cleaned. If you are losing water from the radiator that could be the problem. The best way to tell is have it dye checked. The radiator cap is removed and a special tool is used to suck up gas from the coolant, if the dye changes color there is exhaust gas escaping, thus leaky head!!! Depending on if the head is warped or not it will cost any where from 400-1200 bucks depending on how much other stuff you want to change once the head is off(timing gears, chains, belts, seals, gaskets, etc.) They are not too bad to do yourself just make sure you have the head planed to insure it's flat and checked for leaks. I hope this helped. Mine only cost $350 but my bro-in-law is a GM mechanic and changed everything you would want to with the head off. GOOD LUCK!!
1997 4dr. Sidekick Sport 1.8L DOHC
2" coil spacers- I make and sell 1.5" and 2" on e-bay.  Look under seller: hoepkers
3" Masterkit1 body lift
Custom strut spacers
31/11.50/16 Super Swamper LTB's w/1.5" wheel spacers Steel bumpers Custom cold air intake 2" exhaust w/cherry bomb 98 Expedition, 2" lift, 35's, Magnaflow exhaust - BIG BLUE

Offline R.Cadett.

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 04:02:36 PM »
hey thanks alot! the only reason i was wondering was because i went to check my oil, and it was really low when only a few weeks ago it was halfway. it appears to have oil on the top of my motor and around some seals or somethin and the guy who was puttin the oil in m car said he thinks its the head gasket. it doesnt leave oil puddles anywhere, so thats why he thinks that. any clue on this??
95 Completely Stock Sidekick, i added fog lights , and thats about it

Offline jeff1997

• Suzuki: A Jeep thing only cheaper!!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 04:54:26 PM »
Oil should not leak out of the head gasket. Maybe he meant valve cover gasket? If the oil is milky at all that could also mean the head gasket is bad. If it is the head gasket oil and water could leak out but water would be the main thing leaking or being lost if it is the head.
1997 4dr. Sidekick Sport 1.8L DOHC
2" coil spacers- I make and sell 1.5" and 2" on e-bay.  Look under seller: hoepkers
3" Masterkit1 body lift
Custom strut spacers
31/11.50/16 Super Swamper LTB's w/1.5" wheel spacers Steel bumpers Custom cold air intake 2" exhaust w/cherry bomb 98 Expedition, 2" lift, 35's, Magnaflow exhaust - BIG BLUE

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 04:57:31 AM »
Head gasket problems usually cause overheating. If its not dropping it then it could be piston rings or valve seals. Does the exhaust smoke when its cold?
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org