nasty noise on track/kick/vit...

• 3 Replies

Offline skandy32

• Zukiworld Rocks!
    • Andy Colver Photography
nasty noise on track/kick/vit...
« on: April 08, 2007, 11:29:32 AM »
Hello guys!

I got a problem... with little idea of what it is, so i'm in search of a answer hopefully!

I just got home after 3months at University, fitted a 3"body lift, and put on 31" tyres on n began driving it.....

Driving around, on roads, so in 2wd, every now and then, completely out of the blue, i'll get a nasty vibration/loud noise, as if like my tyre is rubbing the arch at high speed(for example of the sound, but its not this). Nothing makes this noise begin or end!! :S Wierd! just turns on and off as it pleases! All i found is it makes this loud noise over 10mph, and only sometimes... but today it's got pretty frequent and bloody annoying!! Seems like its getting worse....

Experimenting today i discovered, while going straight offroad... when the noise kicks in... i put it into 4wd and it shuts it up! Soooooo, narrowing it down... something to do with driveterrain i suppose! ha

Something else i've found, is that it really doesnt like going back into 2wd, even after changing the gearstick, stopping and starting, and driving for a bit, it eventually 'clonks' in, which it never used to....

I'll stop writing an essay and just ask... does anyone have any idea whats wrong before i type lots more!???

The only ideas i've got is something up with transfer box??? Although the noise sounds like its more from the front (and you can feel vibration in the front footwells :S) Or wheelbearings? or a CV?

how do i tell if a wheelbearings gone?? or CV?

Front axle is reletavely new with plenty of oil

Thanks in advance guys for any help.... this looks like the beginnings of one of those "i cant be arsed with it anymore" phases... :(
Andy
UK Vitara - 2" spring/shock spacers, 3" calmini body lift, 32x11.5x15" BFG MTs, rear half calmini exhaust/no cat, full Alpine ICE

http://www.andycolver.co.uk

Offline balance

• GO COLTS!
    • www.gotmudd.com
Re: nasty noise on track/kick/vit...
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 04:32:32 PM »
you have to go in reverse to disengage the auto locking hubs, you may have a wheelberring issue.
91 Sidekick
2" spring spacer lift
29" Superswampers TSL
More to come...................
http://www.youtube.com/user/GotmuddHaspin

Offline skandy32

• Zukiworld Rocks!
    • Andy Colver Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 02:19:01 AM »
any other thoughts guys?  ???
UK Vitara - 2" spring/shock spacers, 3" calmini body lift, 32x11.5x15" BFG MTs, rear half calmini exhaust/no cat, full Alpine ICE

http://www.andycolver.co.uk

Offline sklope

• BUSHWACKER
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 03:01:53 AM »
Have you checked the drive shaft? You may have a U joint issue. That noise happened to me on a 86 ranger several years ago. It was a old beater so I kept driving it,.....until the U joint let go completely ;D!
Did this noise start just after you put the lift on it? I had to modify my 4X4 shifter plate some because when I raised my Tracker it was pushing on the shifter and trying to make it go into 4 wheel drive. Could that be making the noise?
* '96 Tracker
* 2" Sky body lift
* 235/75/15 M/T's
* Custom front and back bumpers
* Durabak exterior coating (bed liner) * '07 chevy silverado "wail tail" tailgate cover (custom cut to fit)