Hello Guest

Make your own 8v Kick snorkel (less than $50)

• 63 Replies

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
Re: Make your own 8v Kick snorkel (less than $50)
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2007, 09:16:09 AM »
No one should ever pay 300 dollars for a snorkel kit.

I bought a Safari (ARB) snorkel for mine. I didn't want a DIY effort on a 6 month old truck and the Suzuki main dealer told me that it wouldn't affect the engine warranty. The Safari snorkel is a good piece of kit, well worth the money. Its very strong and will easily withstand being swiped against a tree. Its also well designed to keep the rain out of the intake. I do understand that theres a lot of people for whom its way too much money. I dithered over paying out for one, in fact I waited a bit too long - the £200 for the snorkel was a lot less than the £1300 bill for the hydro-locked engine  :'(. The DIY way is a good budget solution, just remember to seal up the hole in the bottom of the airbox.
The stock intake is a pretty clever piece of design, I hadn't realised there was another intake behind the headlight (thats not all that clever!) and that catch tank and the airbox design must have saved me a good few times before I overdid it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 09:19:02 AM by Rhinoman »
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline jeff1997

• Suzuki: A Jeep thing only cheaper!!!!
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2007, 09:38:07 AM »
That looks great!! Has anyone made one of these for the 16v 1.8liter in the Sport? I use the same kind of air filter under the hood. I removed the factory airbox and piped it right into the intake. I was wondering if there is anything you would have to do differently with the overhead cam?
1997 4dr. Sidekick Sport 1.8L DOHC
2" coil spacers- I make and sell 1.5" and 2" on e-bay.  Look under seller: hoepkers
3" Masterkit1 body lift
Custom strut spacers
31/11.50/16 Super Swamper LTB's w/1.5" wheel spacers Steel bumpers Custom cold air intake 2" exhaust w/cherry bomb 98 Expedition, 2" lift, 35's, Magnaflow exhaust - BIG BLUE

Offline SiKiD_01

• Fully Sik, Flying Vit.
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2007, 06:51:54 AM »
heat may be a long term issue. so have you thought about a heat resistant section of flexi hose from the guard to the motor/intake?

if you are as bad as me when wheeling, you will know that the motor moves from side to side a lot. plus, not to mention when you break the engine mounts like i do all the time. i just don't think that the pvc pipe and the little rubber joiners have enough flex/give in them to cope with the engine's movement when driven hard.

even if you have to hood up, and you rev the motor, you can see that it already moves a bit with even no load on it.

if you are worried about breaking engine mounts, or if you think the motor moves too much, you can either make new engine mounts with sammy leaf bushes, or just get some HD chain and chain the block to the chassis so it doesnt lift.   

this latter may not be as good, but you find you get a more direct feel when accelerating, and wheeling, and especially when you put a lot of load on the motor.

so maybe look into that. but overall, looking very good.
1989 Suzuki Vitara... Stock Standard

something closer to home: www.DARWIN4X4.net[/url]

outerlimits4x4.com = Great Tech, Bad Influence

Offline Quaddawg

• Flex and Ground Clearance is HIGHLY overrated!!
    • My Ebay Store
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2007, 07:02:41 AM »
I am going to find some 2" flex hose (radiator) for the connections.

It held up well through some severe wheeling yesterday, but yes, you are correct, it needs a bit more flex, as the engine movement did loosen the couplers a bit.

As far as heat, the connectors seem to be ok, they do get a little soft, but there isn't enough give, just as you stated.

I will update this thread with the new connector hose when I find what I want.

1996 Tracker Daily Driver, "The Flea"

Clicke HERE for Specs and Pics[/url]

ZukisandRotarys

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2007, 09:20:06 AM »

the £200 for the snorkel was a lot less than the £1300 bill for the hydro-locked engine  :'(.

Before I snorkeled mine, my engine was hyrdro locked. But why did you pay someone to fix that problem? Just take off the spark plugs and pore a bunch of gasoline into each cylinder, then drag it around while in gear. Once you get as much out as you can, start her up and wait for the excess water to burn away. My motor still runs tip top.

ZukisandRotarys

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2007, 09:20:40 AM »

the £200 for the snorkel was a lot less than the £1300 bill for the hydro-locked engine  :'(.

Before I snorkeled mine, my engine was hyrdro locked. But why did you pay someone to fix that problem? Just take off the spark plugs and pore a bunch of gasoline into each cylinder, then drag it around while in gear. Once you get as much out as you can, start her up and wait for the excess water to burn away. My motor still runs tip top.

Offline Chief

• Whaddya lookin at??
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2007, 10:27:42 AM »
I'm going to try and use some flex sewer pipe for an RV. it's 2", which will slide right into the stock airbox, and then just seal it up w/ silicon. It's what I did for my last one, and I removed the sail panel and snaked it through there, instead of punching a hole in the fender.

Yours looks good tho! Any concerns about saturating the filter??
03 Tacoma, BBP sliders, TRD L/S, Modded intake,  Da Tow Bitch

94 Tracker. Cancer mod :p Otherwise stock

Offline Quaddawg

• Flex and Ground Clearance is HIGHLY overrated!!
    • My Ebay Store
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2007, 11:28:38 AM »
I'm going to try and use some flex sewer pipe for an RV. it's 2", which will slide right into the stock airbox, and then just seal it up w/ silicon. It's what I did for my last one, and I removed the sail panel and snaked it through there, instead of punching a hole in the fender.

Yours looks good tho! Any concerns about saturating the filter??

Yes, I am thinking about wetting the filter, I have a can that I am going to modify to use as a shield.

Also, this snorkle comes off in seconds, and I can reattach the filter to the intake, as I have been running it all along, takes less than a minute.. so if it is really raining, I can do that.

I will make a few changes, but all in all, I am happy with it.
1996 Tracker Daily Driver, "The Flea"

Clicke HERE for Specs and Pics[/url]

Offline Rhinoman

• Rhinoman
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2007, 05:05:23 AM »
Before I snorkeled mine, my engine was hyrdro locked. But why did you pay someone to fix that problem? Just take off the spark plugs and pore a bunch of gasoline into each cylinder, then drag it around while in gear. Once you get as much out as you can, start her up and wait for the excess water to burn away.

We did that and got it restarted but the noise it made wasn't good. The car was only 6 months old and I didn't have anywhere to work on it so it was recovered back to the dealer. Two conrods were badly bent, the bottom of one cylinder liner was chipped and one piston was damaged. The recovery fee was £140 and labour charges at £80 an hour took care of the rest of the bill  ??? On the plus side it went to the dealer covered in mud inside and out and came back shinier than new, it took an extra half day for the valleting service to complete it  ::)
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack

Offline Rhinoman

• Rhinoman
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2007, 05:10:23 AM »
Yes, I am thinking about wetting the filter, I have a can that I am going to modify to use as a shield.

I've had problems with some filters saturating but genuine K&N filters when oiled have never given me any trouble.

Offline Carnage

• If you only knew the POWER...
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2007, 09:03:28 PM »
update Q?

kingzoo

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2007, 06:25:22 AM »
   Why buy when you can build?I like your design idea of making it easily removable,and it looks good.

Offline SnoFalls

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2007, 06:49:58 AM »
similar to what I did, but I ran mine inside the fender to keep it from getting snagged.

(I also retained the stock airbox and sealed it up.)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.

Buy-it, Build-it, Beat-it, Part-it

Offline Carnage

• If you only knew the POWER...
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2007, 09:11:44 AM »
hey sno, got more pics?

Offline SnoFalls

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2007, 09:39:43 AM »
not without taking the fender back off (may be doing that someday soon tho ...)

it did require a notch into a seam of the main body (not any opening into the cabin, but probably does reduce some "crash worthiness").

I'll probably do a pipe run in my 16V 4dr and will take more pics then.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy it.

Buy-it, Build-it, Beat-it, Part-it