Hello Guest

Modifying the air intake

• 34 Replies

Offline sklope

• BUSHWACKER
Re: Modifying the air intake
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2007, 06:53:42 PM »
My rig is a 96 tracker. I was told that that little "thingy" hanging off of the side is a resonator. It is supposed to keep the air flow quiet as it goes into your air intake :-\. The little ribbed area on my intake tube cracked and I replaced it, after the MAF, using flexible conduit to run big wires through until I can rig a cold air intake ;D. Anyway, after pulling the old tube off, I was curious to see what was in the little "thingy" hanging off of the side of the tubing. I cut it open and found nothing more than a open container. So I guess the resonator is what it is ::)!
Good luck finding a cold air intake for anything after a 94 model! I looked on ebay and they have one that fits a 94 model and I was kind of wondering if it would work :-\?
* '96 Tracker
* 2" Sky body lift
* 235/75/15 M/T's
* Custom front and back bumpers
* Durabak exterior coating (bed liner) * '07 chevy silverado "wail tail" tailgate cover (custom cut to fit)

DAC1138

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2007, 08:52:14 PM »
Ah, so that's what the thing is. Not an essential piece then. I noted that after I took it off, my engine started and instantly died. Maybe that was because I left the hole open.

Another question now. What are the two sensor things attached to the air intake area? There's one on the tube and one attached to the box where the air filter is.

Offline Carnage

• If you only knew the POWER...
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2007, 10:29:56 PM »
The square thing on the tube is the MAF (mass air flow) sensor

The one on the box is the IAT

(from my cardomain pages)
IAT Sensor: The IAT is a thermistor, a semi-conductive material that changes resistance in relation to its temperature. It is located in the intake manifold so it can measure the intake air temperature. Basically what mine does, is that it heats up. So when theres air going across it (cooling it) it signals the fuel injection. More Speed = More Air = More Gas. You're gonna wanna try to keep that sensor IN FRONT of the Air Mass Sensor but IN BACK of the Air Filter itself. (As shown in the stock air assembly)

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2007, 10:15:16 AM »
Ah, so that's what the thing is. Not an essential piece then. I noted that after I took it off, my engine started and instantly died. Maybe that was because I left the hole open.

Yes, I would say it was because you didn't plug the hole.  The engine was sucking air in through the hole, bypassing the MAF sensor, so the engine stalled from lack of fuel.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline Bobzooki

• Web Wheeler
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2007, 11:02:13 AM »
That little resonator is called the "Boom Bottle".  I have no idea where I acquired this little tidbit of information.
Bob

Tahoe 24' Fish-N-Fun Tritoon
115 HP Mercury outboard

Offline sklope

• BUSHWACKER
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2007, 05:29:06 PM »
BOOM BOTTLE :o! Ilike the sound of that compared to a resonator ;D! I might have to install another one on my intake just so I can say I have a BOOM BOTTLE on my Tracker ;)!LOL
* '96 Tracker
* 2" Sky body lift
* 235/75/15 M/T's
* Custom front and back bumpers
* Durabak exterior coating (bed liner) * '07 chevy silverado "wail tail" tailgate cover (custom cut to fit)

Offline Carnage

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2007, 07:40:34 PM »
BOOM BOTTLE :o! Ilike the sound of that compared to a resonator ;D! I might have to install another one on my intake just so I can say I have a BOOM BOTTLE on my Tracker ;)!LOL

hah... wanna trade  :P :P :P

Offline ROSS

• WHY TAKE A PICTURE WHEN YOU CAN DRIVE OVER IT
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2007, 08:34:38 PM »
if your looking for intake pieces.  go to the local junk yard
look around for what you might need. for 25 or 30 bucks you
can get some nice intake parts to work with.
that way its total custom.
87 SAMI 1600 FUEL INJ. , TORQUER CAM, 6.5 TO 1T-CASE, 5"SPRINGS SHACKLE REVERSE ,2 BODY LIFT, LOCK-RITES FRONT W/ HEAVY-DUTY AXLES & ARB'S REAR  BFG 31 X10.50 X 16",  EXO SKELLETON,

DAC1138

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2007, 09:44:07 PM »
Gen-Erix: You don't mention the parts you used for your instructions. What type of air filter was it you purchases, and are there any equivilants to that that will work just as good? What tubing or piping did you use?

Offline Carnage

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2007, 11:13:07 PM »
i used an air filter that i found at a race shop
you just have to make sure that it will fit the gap AND the end of the MAF

I decided to do one last check on some of the local stores and it turned up another filter. This one fit a 2.75" and was much shorter than the other filter. (6.75" which helped installation greatly) Plus it had a thick rubber section where I could thread the IAT Sensor. It took a monstrous 1/2" drill bit to do it. Long story short it cost me $26

step by step and pics here
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/673055/3

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2007, 04:53:40 AM »
That little resonator is called the "Boom Bottle".  I have no idea where I acquired this little tidbit of information.

That sounds like those aftermarket bottles they used to fit to 2 stroke dirt bikes a while back.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline 4maddog

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2007, 10:10:14 AM »
HI I HAVE A 1993 5 DOOR VITARA WITH THE 16V ENGINE I FITTED A K&N INDUCTION KIT MEANT FOR THE 8V ENGINE ON TO MY VITARA BY REMOVING THE AIR BOX AND THEN REMOVING THE SHAPED BUR ON THE END OF THI PLASTIC PIPE WITH A FILE AND PUSHING THE CONE SHAPED FILTER ON,IT IS A TIGHT FIT BUT WORKS PERFECT AS ALL THE AIR YOU GRT IN GOES THROUGH ALL ORIGINAL SENSORS AND YOU ROUTE THE COLD AIR FEED PIPE OUT UNDER THE RADIATOR TO THE BOTTOM PART OF LOWER GRILL. DONE 4000 MILES WITH THIS ON AND IS GREAT SOUNDS GREAT TOO
ITS ONE LIFE LIVE IT

DAC1138

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2007, 08:23:08 PM »
Now I'm reading different stuff about placing the intake in the wheel well (where the Sidekick places it by default) and placing the intake in the engine compartment. If it's in the wheelwell, it draws in colder air but the air has to travel farther for it to reach the engine. Wheras with the other method, placing it in the engine compartment, it draws in warmer air but it takes less time for the air to reach the engine.

Anyone have any personal experience with each and can give me some feedback on each method? Isn't the engine compartment thing kind of moot because isn't cold air constantly being drawn into the engine area when you're in motion? So isn't the hot air constantly getting flushes out? What's the deal here?

Offline Carnage

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2007, 08:34:46 PM »
that would be for a Cold Air Intake

im in Hawaii so to me personally its meh

DAC1138

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2007, 08:41:36 PM »
I'm in colorado, where it snows all winter and rains all summer. In the morning you can go swimming, and in the afternoon you can go snowboarding. I wouldn't install cold air intake if weather plays a big factor. I'm sure there's ways around it, but it gets more complex and expensive (and ugly). Like a snorkel.