Hello Guest

what Scanner to buy?.

• 7 Replies

Offline rbeny

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
what Scanner to buy?.
« on: December 29, 2006, 04:57:00 AM »
I have an SUZUKI SIDEKICK (VITARA), 97 model.
I'm facing many problems with the Diagnostics, by the Garagh Mechanics, theterfore I'll like to do the diagnostics by myself.

I'm looking for assistence,for getting a decision ,what scanner to buy.

On the "OBD2.COM" LINK,they suggest that,
One of the main parameters is :"Is it upgradeable ?", your Idea ?.

Can you offer me an upgradeable Scanner in the Rates of : 100-140$ ?.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 08:42:43 AM by rbeny »

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
Re: what Scanner to buy?.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 05:24:32 AM »
Is a 96 Sidekick OBD2? Maybe one of the US members can confirm that. Over here (UK) even OBD2 models have the old style OBD connector which lets you pull the codes without needing a scanner. My Vit has an OBD2 style connector buts its not OBD2, the pinout is wrong.

Edit: I found a spec sheet on line that says it is OBD2 (ISO9141)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 06:26:22 AM by Rhinoman »
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline reb

• Victim of CRS--Can't Remember Anything.
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 10:04:53 AM »
I bought an Actron CP9125 for about $50 - $60 (US).  Don't know if it is upgradeable, but the literature mentions something about contacting the manufacturer for firmware updates.  If I need an upgrade beyond that, I can buy a newer one and still be within your cost range.

Offline mrfuelish

• you must have a perception problem.
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 02:20:48 PM »
This one looks real nice, they have a vid of it working. under 200.00 they have diffrent models.
http://www.autotap.com/products.asp
1987,1988,1988,1990 samurai's,  1953 m38a1,  1996 x-90,blue.1996 x-90 red.1994 2 door tracker.   only Dead Fish go with the flow.                No Hairy Nosed Wombats were ran over on the trail today.       My ZUK is Xenophobic.

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 08:37:16 PM »
You didn't indicate where you are located (something generalized like "Nebraska" in your profile will help) so I am hoping that you live in the US.

That said, take your Sidekick to an AutoZone, have them hook up an OBDII reader and get the codes that are being thrown by the system.

It is a free service.

I did it on my '96 Tracker and found the info helpful.

The "Is it upgradeable" comment at OBD2.com is probably a "CYA" note.  You can further research the comment (which actually may not apply to your 'Kick) by visiting your local Suzuki Parts Counter/Service Department or you can take it to AutoZone and see what happens.

EDIT
If you check out the OBDII section at http://www.suzukipitstop.com/home/home.asp, you might better understand  the "upgradeable" comment.  Apparently, you (the purchaser of the OBDII hardware/software tools available from Suzuki) can modify/upgrade the ECU on many North American Suzuki vehicles. Whether this includes your 'Kick is uncertain. 

So, the table at OBD2.com is not talking about upgrading the OBDII reader itself but about upgrading the vehicle's ECU programming - something that aftermarket performance folks are doing through their "chips".  Plus, if you had to modify the reader, it would be a mod that would not effect how the reader works on ALL the varieties of OBDII vehicles that these readers work on.

Remember, all a reader does is turn digital code information into a form that you can read - a big improvement over deciphering the "Check Engine Light" blinks.

Thus the CYA (Cover Your A$$) comment...   ;D

END EDIT

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 09:27:26 AM by ack »
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 10:55:06 AM »
So, the table at OBD2.com is not talking about upgrading the OBDII reader itself

I think that that is what they do mean, if the reader isn't capable of being upgradable then it won't be able to support any other vehicle that might be otherwise be added (ie new models).
Only the most expensive models will support ECU recalibration. I have looked at a number of scanners but I haven't seen any cheaper models that appear to be capable of reading Suzukis proprietary codes, only the OBD2 generic codes.
The Suzuki data stream information can be purchased from the Pitstop site but it costs $1000. Its a strategy that seems to have worked quite well as none of the Open Source projects have the information.
I would look for a PC/Laptop based scanner using an adapter cable, those are easily upgradable.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline lil_Truck

• Eric Gardner
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 11:29:36 AM »
I bought the Harbor Freight one for $40.  You plug it in and it will give you any OBDll power train code that might be present.  It also comes with a nice little book with all the codes in it.  And if you leave it pluged in, it will clear all codes after flashing them 3 times.

I've been very happy with it. 

I've got a mechanic friend that uses his all the time.  It's quick and gets the job done quicker than his Teck ll.
e-mail: liltruck|removethispart|@comcast.net
96 Tracker
6" Calimini Lift with custom Frame
32 MTR's Warn 8000i
Front/Rear ARB's Many New Mods soon.

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 03:28:51 PM »
I bought the Harbor Freight one for $40.  You plug it in and it will give you any OBDll power train code that might be present.  It also comes with a nice little book with all the codes in it.  And if you leave it pluged in, it will clear all codes after flashing them 3 times.

I've been very happy with it. 

I've got a mechanic friend that uses his all the time.  It's quick and gets the job done quicker than his Teck ll.

You know, I bought one of those and it wouldn't read any codes from anything but my Ford.  Had a bitch of a time returning it to Harbor Freight too.  They were jerks on the phone and then shorted me the shipping and handling.

I picked up an Equus Innova 3100 scanner at WallyWorld for about $100.  Works well and reads all OBD-II codes except for the manufacturor specific codes...and it gets some of those as well.  You can also install software on your computer that allows you to check for software updates and also get explanations for the codes that it comes up with.

I've recently been shown that you can actually buy software packages and adaptor cables for a PC so you can use it as your code reader.  All you'd need is a Windows 95+ lap top and this software and you'd have something akin to the $3000 MAC or SnapOn super readers.  Without  spending nearly as much of course. ;D