Hello Guest

New alternator tests bad too????

• 9 Replies

Offline daddyizzle

• Colorado is still my home!!
New alternator tests bad too????
« on: November 09, 2006, 04:04:10 PM »
Kind of a follow up. I went to Napa to pick up the housebrand alternator along with a new negative cable and one of those 2 inch foil air breather hoses.

Out of curiosity, I had them check the new (reman) alternator. It tested the same as the stock original. 14+volts and fluctating around 3 amps. Hmmm.  I said "Maybe your machine is bad even though it's new or the adapter is bad?" I suggested they take some other alternators off the shelf and see what it says on those. I asked if there was a tech assistance # for the tester.

They said the alternator was good, was tested at the factory. Since I won't have time till the weekend to put it back on, I told them to order another one and test it. For all I know, my old alternator could still be good. I just don't want to take the time to put an alternator on and find it to be bad. Too much of a pain. I'll post what I find out tomorrow. If Napa tests another bad alternator, I will go to this other auto store called Mcgarrah's. I think they are a genuine auto parts store.  Adam 
If all criminals were behind bars, there would be no one left to patrol the streets.

86 Samurai Tin-Top stock with a Harley 44 sidedraft carb

Offline Amilla

• Toyota running gear was made for a samurai!
Re: New alternator tests bad too????
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 05:19:06 PM »
no offence if anyone works at napa, kragen, or any of those stores. but they dont always have the most reliable people there hahha well at least here in Eureka Ca they dont.
i have learned to never trust them...or get multiple opinons and just avrage them out haha bound to get it right sometime. haha

Millski
88 Samurai, Sprung Up, Geared Down, Locked,With Yotas.

Offline Mikerpm4x4

• Redline... all the time!
    • www.rpm4x4.com
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 07:17:22 PM »
Dont but a napa alt. Napa Electronics are very prone to failure. Most service shops will do an electrical systems check for 20 dollars or less. Well worth the money to have a qualified professional check it if your not sure. Is the Batt light on? If not I wouldnt be so sure its the alt. How old is the batt?
If your not living life to the fullest then your not living at all.

You wont really know if your wrong till your upsidedown

Offline 97TRAKIN

• Suzuki in Chevy clothing.
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 07:23:00 PM »
Make sure the wire or fuseable link that connects the alt to the batt is not bad. If it is bad the alt will test good in the store but bad in the vehicle.

Offline daddyizzle

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 08:03:49 PM »
Napa orderered a new one and it tested bad too. I think their state of the art machine is faulty. They called their tech and I bought the alternator and threw it on. Seems o.k. I will have it tested on the vehicle at a coulple of places to see if they say it's bad and post the results. I'm kind of curious. It will have to wait. I have the distributor off and the valve cover off + am trying to correct the emission hoses.

-Adam
If all criminals were behind bars, there would be no one left to patrol the streets.

Offline daddyizzle

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 05:12:49 PM »
MikerPM4x4, thanks. I had already ordered the alt b4 I read your reply. I guess I will try it since it has a 3 year warranty so if it goes out, I will insist on the bosch replacement. I have her apart right now for a few other repairs so I can't road test yet.

Milski. The battery is a bosch commercial and tests good so they say. It is a few years old though. My choice here in the home town of the worlds 2nd largest corporation (Walmart) is limited. The dealer wants a few hundred, O'Reilys has bad service, autozone--don't know about theirs other than $99.bucks. Napa had a Bosch for 139.00. There is another place opening up called advantage that I never heard of.

The G.M. upgrade would be ideal but I don't have the coin. I don't know if you can have it with the a.c. anyways. I suppose you can. I thought about adding powersteering at some point but I think you loose the a.c.

Oh well, one thing at a time.

Adam

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 05:02:14 AM »
I thought about adding powersteering at some point but I think you loose the a.c.

No, you can have both.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline Amilla

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2006, 09:35:35 PM »
i think its a pretty tight fit, probly the reason so many people loose it. And the fact that its not seen as that big of a necessity.

Offline daddyizzle

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 06:06:53 AM »
Neither are probably necessaties but no powersteering can be pretty tough, and it gets downright nasty hot and humid here in N.W. Arkansas especially down state about 60 miles. I am originally from the Denver area, so this is a bit of a shock.

I can see the inconvenience of working on the engine with an extra component or too as well.

-Adam

Offline Amilla

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 06:45:46 PM »
Ya where i live (far far nor cal aka humboldt CA) the only time we ever use an AC is for de-frost, so most of us just ditch it.  But i can deffinatly see why it woudl be a necessatie over there haha. Our hottest day ever here was some 80* thats like once ever 5 years that happens hahha.