Hello Guest

Proud of my first Suzuki! Newbie questions...

• 23 Replies

Offline akfedor7

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
Proud of my first Suzuki! Newbie questions...
« on: August 29, 2006, 08:57:06 AM »
Since this is my first post I’ll go ahead and tell everybody that I am an absolute noob with Suzukis and off road accessories. I have always had and used 4x4 vehicles, just never did any modifications. So go easy on me if I ask a stupid question…

Last weekend I purchased a 1997 Sidekick sport with automatic transmission. I have a few questions involving different areas on this vehicle. Any help is greatly appreciated…

1.   This truck has 102K miles on it. Any general maintenance type things I should have done or checked for? The check engine light is on(was told it needs an O2 sensor), but it runs fine.
2.   I gotta have some bigger tires! It currently has 215-55’s on it and looks like a lowrider! What is the largest tire that can fit this sidekick without any modifications? I have searched these forums and other sites and cant seem to find a consistent answer to this question
3.   I am considering a slight lift, but nothing too crazy. I cant afford a whole lot right now. I have looked at coil spacers and body lifts so far(suspension seems too expensive). Which of the two will be cheaper and easiest to install. I don’t have a very good place to perform automotive alterations, and have never done much beyond changing plugs and a water pump on my old Cherokee, so ease of installation is very important. And how much tire size can I expect to gain with typical body lifts or coil spacers?
4.   finally, I need a rack for this truck. Nothing heavy duty, since my old flimsy factory rack on my Cherokee worked fine for years. All I ever use it for is to carry a lightweight canoe. Do they make a factory roof rack? If not, do you recommend any aftermarket ones that are reasonably priced?
1997 SIDEKICK SPORT, stock for now...

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
Re: Proud of my first Suzuki! Newbie questions...
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 10:15:27 AM »
Welcome to the board, The CEL might be mileage related, I'm not that familiar with the Sport model so I'll leave the recommendations to those who are.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline wncoutdoors

• WNCOutdoors.info
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 10:34:58 AM »
I purchased a '96 Sidekick Sport last weekend too. I'm happy with it as I was upgrading from a '91 Tracker that my wife rolled on us 3 years ago. It was still my daily driver so I know it's a tough line of vehicles.

As for general maintenance, I'd look at the timing belt. I'm going to replace mine as soon as possible ($25 investment for some big peace of mind). Don't want a break on me. D'ya know if yours has been replaced recently?

Offline akfedor7

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 10:41:32 AM »
I dont know if the timing belt has been changed, but probably not since it wasn't mentioned by the seller. What does labor usually cost for that?

And about the CEL, I installed a new battery and it went off, but after about a day it came back on...

Offline wncoutdoors

• WNCOutdoors.info
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 12:01:32 PM »
Yeah, something is wrong if it kicked the CEL again.

I got a quote on a timing belt repair for $300. That's when I decided it was worth learning how to do myself. I did it on a '91 tracker with no experience, and it went fine. Drove it for years & 40k miles after that. My Sidekick looks a bit more complicated so I'm going to get some help from my father - he's an airplane mechanic so shouldn't have any problem with it.

I "fixed" my CEL on the Tracker. It was running fine, so I just took the bulb out from behind the panel!

Offline akfedor7

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 12:08:53 PM »
I may try that "fix" as well! lol. Will it hurt my gas mileage(or anything else) if the O2 sensor is bad and I dont replace it?

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 12:23:54 PM »
Fuel mileage will suffer, and the Cat will get trashed
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline akfedor7

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2006, 07:07:14 PM »
Well... that's not good. I checked my gas mileage and am getting 24 MPG with the tiny tires I currently have. Is there anything else that might cause the CEL?

Any help on the other things I listed?

Thanks

Offline Mike71

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 07:14:35 PM »
the 02 sensor is not as expensive as you may think. i thought it would be horrendis so i didnt replace it. i am now driving with a hallowed out cat because mine was destroyed by the falty 02 sensor  ::)

also you shuld be getting more then 24mpg so you might be pleasently suprised at the gain you will get =-)
623hp kb cobra sold! 100hp kick new DD :P

Offline akfedor7

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 07:24:55 PM »
If there are more than one sensor, is it recommended to change both at once, or should you try one and then the other?

Offline akfedor7

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 03:51:13 AM »
any help on the tires, lift, or rack?

Offline kirknd4spd

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 03:53:25 AM »
check out calmini for the lift and rack.
http://www.puresuzuki.com
89 Sidekick - 2 door soft top, 1.6, auto, 4x4, 3" suspension lift, 31x10.50's on 15x8 Mickey Thompsons, long tube header

Offline akfedor7

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 04:58:45 AM »
Yeah, the calmini stuff looks nice, but are a little expensive for me... I'm already broke from the initial purchase of the kick! I am thinking about just starting out with coil spacers...

And the calmini rack is WAY more than what I need. Like I said above, a very light duty rack will be plenty for my 60 pound canoe, which is all I will ever need the rack for.

Offline akfedor7

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 04:40:30 PM »
No more help guys?? :'(

Offline strvger

• Livin' on the edge... of the Great Northwoods !!
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2006, 06:28:11 PM »
well, you should be able to run 235/75x15 all terrain or all season radials without much of a lift at all. 

as for the rack, i liked the look of the big Nissan bars on their tops, but without the big cost.

so, i just got the bolt on handicap bars they use in public restrooms and such.  they are about 1.5 inches in diameter and common lengths of 18, 24, 36, and 48 inches.  i threw away the screws they came with and through-bolted them using stainless bolts and stainless eye-bolts at each end to help with tieing down whatever.  the local Menards or Home Depot type store should have them for about $20-30 each depending on the length.  then add the stainless bolts if you want those.

cheap, very solid/heavy duty, and not bad looks really.  very adaptable for adding a basket later.

good luck and have fun with your new trackick !! ;D
'91 tracker, 1.6 8v 5-spd, 1.5 in susp lift,  DT header and 2 in exhaust, 235/75 AT's on 15x7 Turbines, 1st prototype: Ibuiltbumpers.com trackick front bumper!,  other mods coming soon!