Hello Guest

what it would look like if it was based on the 2006 grand vitara

• 21 Replies

Offline nils

• Team Tincan!
I admit.. i'm not a photoshop expert, but i gave it a try.

If it got  close to this, with the gv's build and detail quality, smooth ride, coils all round IFS & IRS, v6 2.7, full time 4x4 with t-case, imho it'll sell like candy.

Offline jSager

Re: what it would look like if it was based on the 2006 grand vitara
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 08:05:42 AM »
I've tried doing something similar.  Something to remember is that you can't cut the cab off directly at the window.  The rear seats project back from them, plus a more vertical line at the back of the cab in necessary for head room.

I think that putting a truncated GV body on an XL-7 frame would be a great start for a small pickup.  Too bad we won't see how that would work.

jSager

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 08:27:24 AM »
So, is the general consensus that it'll be like a Honda Ridgeline? Unibody XL7 with the back chopped? Interesting.... I was thinking more of a traditional mini-truck.

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline jSager

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 10:59:32 AM »
Actually, I don't think so.  I just think that the previous XL-7 platform would make a good start for a mini-pickup. 

My guess is that a current gen Frontier based offering, with mostly new body panels.  (Kind of like the Raider/Dakota, same platform, different look.)

The other option would be to re-work the "previous gen" Frontier currently selling in Asia.  Here it would be possible to do a hybrid of the Nissan platform and a Suzuki drivetrain, kind of like the current GV borrowing from the GM Theta platform.  That would be interesting, but IMHO a long shot.

jSager

Offline Maroon Monsoon

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 11:47:06 AM »
So, is the general consensus that it'll be like a Honda Ridgeline? Unibody XL7 with the back chopped? Interesting.... I was thinking more of a traditional mini-truck.

-Eric

I was thinking that photoshop pic looks like a ridgeline actually which in my book is NOT a truck.

I do agree that a real XL-7 (as in not the mini van they now call an XL-7) would make a good compact truck platform.
2000 Grand Vitara.. boondox coil spacer lift w/ pro comp 2 inch lift shocks and ome struts. 225/75 R16 Kumho Mt's, powdercoated wheels, rear brake line relocation and stuff to acomodate. custom exhaust and intake along with some 1 off accesories.

Offline nils

• Team Tincan!
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 11:55:09 AM »
Well, be honest, what are the odd that suzuki, knows for it small cars and 4x4's will launch a truck comparable to lets say a dodge ram, ford f350, etc.
Spec if they build it with nissan, it'll most likely not goin to be a huge truck for hauling etc, more like a light suv/pickup.

Offline Maroon Monsoon

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 03:44:36 PM »
what I'm wondering is if the japanese will ever make a 3/4 ton or above truck. they have the titan which is class dominating for half ton but in this country you get a 3/4 ton or more for heavy hauling and you are out of your mind if you buy a new 3/4 ton with a gas engine around here. basicly if the japanese really want to compete they need to make heavy duty pickups with some good I6 turbo diesels around 6L in displacement if they really want to compete.

right now ford makes a great heavy duty truck but the emissions on the new 6 litre make it an unreliable pile. dodge's truck has a freaking great motor but the truck is hideous and the inside of the cab sucks. the older body style is fine though. with chevy's the motor seems great but I personally dislike how ifs chevy's ride and the frame sags down so low... don't like the chevy platform.

I think someone needs to jump in with a motor comporable to the cummins and make a 3 or 5 link front truck that can make up for the short cummings in the heavy duty trucks avaliable now
2000 Grand Vitara.. boondox coil spacer lift w/ pro comp 2 inch lift shocks and ome struts. 225/75 R16 Kumho Mt's, powdercoated wheels, rear brake line relocation and stuff to acomodate. custom exhaust and intake along with some 1 off accesories.

Offline nils

• Team Tincan!
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 07:21:11 AM »
i think in Japan (asia) and Europe there is too litle demand for a really heavy truck, so the only market that it would really fit is the US, therefor, 2 Japanese brand, building a heavy truck for US only, would be a jump in the dark, they'd need a strong position in the US sales to go for it.

thought i'd let you know, very few use their pick ups for what they're build, less than half ever haul enything heavyer than groseries over here, flat towing to transport a car is even illegal over here, you either have to tow it 2 wheels from the ground, or on a trailer. And than if you have a truck with a maximum total weight of more than 3500kg, you need a special driver licence.

man our laws suck ass

Offline Maroon Monsoon

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 10:08:55 AM »
i think in Japan (asia) and Europe there is too litle demand for a really heavy truck, so the only market that it would really fit is the US, therefor, 2 Japanese brand, building a heavy truck for US only, would be a jump in the dark, they'd need a strong position in the US sales to go for it.

thought i'd let you know, very few use their pick ups for what they're build, less than half ever haul enything heavyer than groseries over here, flat towing to transport a car is even illegal over here, you either have to tow it 2 wheels from the ground, or on a trailer. And than if you have a truck with a maximum total weight of more than 3500kg, you need a special driver licence.

man our laws suck ass

yea, I fully agree. first I hear about taxes per litre or something now this.... geeze, sounds like the belgian government sucks

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2006, 01:20:57 PM »
what I'm wondering is if the japanese will ever make a 3/4 ton or above truck. they have the titan which is class dominating for half ton but in this country you get a 3/4 ton or more for heavy hauling and you are out of your mind if you buy a new 3/4 ton with a gas engine around here. basicly if the japanese really want to compete they need to make heavy duty pickups with some good I6 turbo diesels around 6L in displacement if they really want to compete.
Toyota and Nissan are planning diesel powered 3/4 ton plus trucks right now.  Both will be based on their respective Tundra and Titan platforms.  Both companies also make decent diesels that would be perfect for this use.  Remember the PowerStroke, Cummins 5.9L, and Duramax are also used in big trucks and the PS and Cummins actually came down from big trucks to the light truck market.  We'll be seeing Toyota and Nissan's offerings soon.

A diesel doesn't have to be an inline to make power, there's been plenty of excellent V- diesels.

right now ford makes a great heavy duty truck but the emissions on the new 6 litre make it an unreliable pile.
It's not the emissions that is screwing the 6.0L's up.  Internal engine stuff isn't kosher.

dodge's truck has a freaking great motor but the truck is hideous and the inside of the cab sucks. the older body style is fine though.
Take a peak at the specs on the 94-02 front axles...you won't want one.  Not to mention the transmissions are so-so to iffy.

with chevy's the motor seems great but I personally dislike how ifs chevy's ride and the frame sags down so low... don't like the chevy platform.
Eh, their IFS ride has never impressed me...despite that being why they went that way...but you have to remember that GM builds it's big trucks to tow and haul, not offroad.

I think someone needs to jump in with a motor comporable to the cummins and make a 3 or 5 link front truck that can make up for the short cummings in the heavy duty trucks avaliable now
They do, the Duramax, 7.3L Power Stroke (the verdict is still out on the 6.0L), and several different diesel makers have similar sized diesels that make good power...just aren't available in light duty trucks.
The 8.3L Cummins in my dad's motorhome isn't much bigger than the 5.9L his last one had... ;)
You have to remember that with the exception of the Dodge Powerwagon none of the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks consider offroading as a major use of the truck.  They're thinking about the contractor towing his jobsite trailer or the guy towing his boat...not those of us that would slap on 35"+ tires, a lift, and lockers and go beat the snot out of them.  Hell, Fords and Dodge's didn't even have tow hooks as a factory option for a good long time!

Offline jinstall

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2006, 08:22:51 AM »
FYI darn near everything that is made in Japan is made with a diesel motor, for europe. I see them everyday. The SX4 is alive and well here.

Offline nils

• Team Tincan!
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2006, 08:29:53 AM »
FYI darn near everything that is made in Japan is made with a diesel motor, for europe. I see them everyday. The SX4 is alive and well here.

With a FIAT!!! diesel engine...  >:(  :-X :-X

could it get even worse?

Offline 97TRAKIN

• Suzuki in Chevy clothing.
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2006, 08:58:51 AM »
I think it would look more like this guys rendering.

Four door needs longer bed though.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 09:03:50 AM by 97TRAKIN »

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2006, 04:48:40 PM »
That's assuming it's based upon a Suzuki.  Since they're bringing Nissan into the deal I doubt it will be Suzuki based.  As speculated before likely a Frontier with a different body and a few different features.

Offline Carnage

• If you only knew the POWER...
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2006, 10:14:34 AM »
nevermind a rendering

what about this 2005 isuzu rodeo diesel
(it looks pretty similiar to the mockups ive been seeing)