Hello Guest

kick gas tank in a sammi???

• 15 Replies

Offline real_red_wagon

• Make It Hert!!!
kick gas tank in a sammi???
« on: February 05, 2005, 09:09:25 AM »
     I'm not sure if this has been discussed before or not but here goes. :-/ Were putting a 16v in the Law Dog I thought it was comon practice to put a kick tank in the Sammi ??? anyways I was looking at the 2 tanks today and they are similar but different whats the usual way to do this swap or are we going at this the wrong way ???
   We've put 1.6 8v's in before but only on '91 and up TBI so we never had to do this :-/ any help would be greatly appreciated ;D
At Lakeview Motorsports, were wasting your time already!

Offline nc_zuk

• Back in North Carolina
    • www.samurai4x.com
Re: kick gas tank in a sammi???
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 10:00:03 AM »
YOu have a few options. First you could find a Sammi tank with an efi pump in it already, You can Have someone mod your sammi tank to accept the fuel pump from the kick (Aftermarket4x4 does it all the time) you can fab the kick tank to fit.............

Or............ you can get a high pressure inline fuel pump and be done with it ;) That is what I did.
www.Zuwharrie.com[/url]

Where the road ends........... Zuwharrie begins !!!

Offline techie

• On the mountain anytime
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2005, 10:34:06 AM »
My boy and I just finished putting a Kick tank in an 88 Sami. Just fits, but fits like it belongs. Not sure of what type of shop you have but the way we did it you will need a welder, cutting torch and a few other tools. The filler hose was the tricky part but we didn't want to poke any holes in the body.

Check out the link below to see how we did it.

http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60298

Offline real_red_wagon

• Make It Hert!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2005, 01:51:21 AM »
    Thanks for the replies anybody got any pics I see how it kinda fits and I was thinkin about cuttin a hole in the frame as you mentioned still kinda unsure about exhaust though :-/

Offline Whipped

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2005, 02:32:47 AM »
Had the same problem real_red_wagon is having and did this for my fix on my Sidekick. Same principle as what he wants to do, and cost me $135.00 for the pump with a lifetime warranty. Photo's included:

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2005, 03:22:45 AM »
CZ   ;D

Good to see you back
« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 03:23:55 AM by wildgoody »
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline real_red_wagon

• Make It Hert!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2005, 03:35:17 AM »
 Ã‚    were putting a kick tank in the lawdog ::) an 88Sammi we thought about the fuel pump but always thought the whole tank was a better idea ??? maybe not??
« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 03:36:34 AM by Real_Red_Wagon »

Offline HotRod

• 95 Tracker
    • cardomain.
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2005, 05:12:21 AM »
CZ   ;D

Good to see you back

Yup! ;D
Thought ya got lost ;)
95 2dr Geo Tracker with Calmini 6"inch combo lift, 32'inch BFGs M/Tlocked and loaded--D.D is my 06 Racy RED Aerio SX AWD

Offline techie

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2005, 03:33:14 AM »
We did it for the extra fuel gained, the exhaust is a bit of a problem but a pro would get it in, that's what the're for. If you do decide to put in the tank you won't regret it. I wheeled, raced around town, used to and from work, 400kms and still had almost a 1/4 tank of fuel with the 1.6 16v FI.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 03:35:47 AM by techie »

Offline Bobzooki

• Web Wheeler
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2005, 04:22:19 AM »
This makes me nervous!

But I'm just funny that way!
Bob

Tahoe 24' Fish-N-Fun Tritoon
115 HP Mercury outboard

Offline techie

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2005, 07:52:29 AM »
This makes me nervous!

But I'm just funny that way!

Will that set up pass inspection for pressurized lines, looks as though it is mounted on the outside of the frame, sorta unprotected there isn't it? Just curious.

Offline zukisuzi

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2005, 01:24:08 PM »
My boy and I just finished putting a Kick tank in an 88 Sami. Just fits, but fits like it belongs. Not sure of what type of shop you have but the way we did it you will need a welder, cutting torch and a few other tools. The filler hose was the tricky part but we didn't want to poke any holes in the body.

Techie-
    Do you have a pic or 2 of how you did the filler neck mod? I have a rolled Kick donor truck. Using the tank from it sounds like a worthwhile swap. Save the $$$ on the fuel pump & get more onboard fuel! ;D Have a good one! ;D
"I was so poor growin' up, if I wasn't a boy I'd've had nothin' to play with..."
--Rodney Dangerfield

Offline techie

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2005, 06:49:20 PM »
I have a few, just gotta remember how to post in this fourm. The only thing I may do different would be to find the same size pipe as the filler hose to weld into the frame and use two pieces of hose. Note u would need to use a good sched pipe to get back your frame strength.

Other picks with similar names are in the link below, once they were uploaded I couldn't get em in the post.
http://www.eye-irritant.com/upload/
« Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 06:59:03 PM by techie »

Offline zukisuzi

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2005, 08:06:19 AM »
I have a few, just gotta remember how to post in this fourm. The only thing I may do different would be to find the same size pipe as the filler hose to weld into the frame and use two pieces of hose. Note u would need to use a good sched pipe to get back your frame strength.

Thanks! I got the pictures saved. I think that's the way to go. Using the smaller tube with two pieces of hose would probably be easier than trying to find a hose with just the right bends! I will probably be starting my project late in the summer. I've got to dismantle the donor wreck and dispose of the extra parts & junk first or my wife will kill me before I get a good start on it! That along with the normal chores, and a couple of projects around the house will keep me busy for awhile.

I looked back at your build post. I'm sure you enjoyed that kind of a project with your boy. It looks like you've got a pretty good  learner & worker there! Nice job - have fun with it!   8)

Scott
"I was so poor growin' up, if I wasn't a boy I'd've had nothin' to play with..."
--Rodney Dangerfield

Offline techie

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2005, 08:31:15 AM »
Ya, he's not too bad for a 15yr old, did all the welding, fabricating and most of the wrenching. I got stuck with the wiring issues involved with the 16v FI. It was fun while it lasted but I don't know what to do with myself now that we are pretty well done. Kinda get used of being in a shop after 2 months of evenings and the odd weekend. Watch TV with he wife I guess.