Hello Guest

problems sometimes shifting to reverse....

• 12 Replies

Offline ddevil

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
problems sometimes shifting to reverse....
« on: June 16, 2006, 09:45:37 PM »
i've been having some problems occasionally shifting my 5spd '95 tracker into reverse.   on occasion when i need to back up i won't be able to smoothly shift to reverse.  i'll have to keep it in neutral and let the clutch out so the tracker drifts a little forward/reverse then it'll go right in.  if i try to force it, it'll 'grind' the gears a little.  is this a sign of a problem?  thanks....

milk
'95 geo tracker 2dr 5spd soft top with 2" suspension lift

Offline Maroon Monsoon

Re: problems sometimes shifting to reverse....
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 10:25:29 PM »
my GV does it too. sometimes you can put it in first then reverse and it all works out well. I think it's a safety feature making it nearly impossible to hit reverse going down the road at high speed making it difficult to shift into reverse period

give that a try and see how it works. on ocasion if you let the clutch out in neutral then try again it might work but usually just first then reverse works
2000 Grand Vitara.. boondox coil spacer lift w/ pro comp 2 inch lift shocks and ome struts. 225/75 R16 Kumho Mt's, powdercoated wheels, rear brake line relocation and stuff to acomodate. custom exhaust and intake along with some 1 off accesories.

Offline SKAsammy

• 1991 samurai
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 10:42:29 PM »
same on my 91 sammy
1991 SAMURAI
6"spoa
2" body  lift
8000 lb winch
30/9.5/15 BFG all terrains roll on bedliner in and out homemade bumper 1996 Silv. 4" lift 35's many mods

Offline CodeBlue

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 10:55:39 PM »
I have found that if you put it in 1st and then 2nd it lines up the syncros  to where there should be no grind going into reverse. Not sure about sammys since I have just started building them, but on hondas the reverse gear is a dog style gear, straight gears instead of the spiral set gears.

Offline Digger

• 1996 Suzuki X-90 4X4
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 11:27:49 PM »
Every suzuki vehicle I've driven has been like this occasionally. I haven't tried first then second to line up the synchros, but I will next time. I usually just let it drift a couple inches and it goes right in. If I'm on flat and it wont drift at all, then I let the clutch out slightly then push it back in and the shifter goes right into reverse...
Had a cool sig pic till I changed the text... sigh...
90 Tracker: "Silver", 2" BL, 1-1/2" Coil Spacers, Strut mount flip, Calmini Header, Winch, 31" Swamper radials, Sold.
98 Suzuki X-90: Calmini 2" Sus, 1-1/4" whl spcrs, 2" Exhaust, Cobra Safari Bar, Neon, Sold.
96 Suzuki X-90: Mostly stock daily driver(for now)

Offline urbanwheeler

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 01:03:08 AM »
Is the grinding bad for it? I dont mean intentionally grinding it,  but when it grinds when you try to put it in reverse while slowly rolling backwards or if the gears are spun up from the clutch being engaged while in neutral. Nothing I know of has a synchro on the reverse gear, so I am guessing that if it grinds, it can take it, but I have never had a manual trans apart(yet), so I dont know if it damages it ???.
Runnin' it stock with 225/75R15s and an unmodified 8valve TBI motor (I need a doug thoroley header and a cam) (more power) (1.6 liters of madness) (vroom + sewing machine sounds)

Offline ddevil

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006, 05:25:35 AM »
Is the grinding bad for it? I dont mean intentionally grinding it,  but when it grinds when you try to put it in reverse while slowly rolling backwards or if the gears are spun up from the clutch being engaged while in neutral. Nothing I know of has a synchro on the reverse gear, so I am guessing that if it grinds, it can take it, but I have never had a manual trans apart(yet), so I dont know if it damages it ???.

thanks guys, i kinda figured it was pretty "normal" and had to do with the gears not being aligned or something seeing as how if i let it drift or put it in first it'll go into reverse.  but i guess my real concern is what urbanwheeler mentions.  again, thanks everyone for the speedy answers ;)

milk

Offline Mike71

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 10:11:33 AM »
reverse just does not have a sycro in it so it jams a lil sometimes if you dont like the little bit of grinding try doing a double clutch. works for me 90% of the time i dont even hear a little noise if you push the clutch down twice before hitting reverse.

the feeling of stuck in a space becuase it wont go into reverse kinda sucks though 0.o but from what i have seen more then just zukis do that.

mine has the strange grind into 3rd..could be a crappy driver with lazy shifts though  ::)
623hp kb cobra sold! 100hp kick new DD :P

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 10:36:29 AM »
try doing a double clutch. works for me 90% of the time i dont even hear a little noise if you push the clutch down twice before hitting reverse.

Works for me too
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline CodeBlue

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2006, 12:10:12 AM »
like i said its a dog gear..... or paddle gear if you like. looks like this      l l l l l l l l    instead of this        / / / / / / /      if you get what i am saying. it isn't going to hurt reverse to grind it but no one likes to grind it to find it.

Offline ed oorklep

• 1992 Suzuki Vitara
    • Suzuki Vitara 4x4
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2006, 03:02:50 AM »
try doing a double clutch. works for me 90% of the time i dont even hear a little noise if you push the clutch down twice before hitting reverse.

Works for me too

For me too  ;D
http://www.suzukivitara4x4.nl
1992 Suzuki Vitara
8cm Body-lift, 33 12.5 R15 General Grabber MT's.
ARB Bull Bar.
3" Suspension lift.

Offline ddevil

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2006, 06:08:07 AM »
i tried the 1st to 2nd to reverse thing last night when i couldn't get it to reverse without it grinding and it worked like a charm  ;D  pretty neat little trick there...  now i won't have to worry about being embarrassed when trying to back up out of a parking spot or something  :P

Offline CodeBlue

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2006, 02:53:04 PM »
Glad it worked for ya!