Hello Guest

Spring spacers..... are wheel spacers needed?

• 8 Replies

Offline echojeff

• Lo que sea
Spring spacers..... are wheel spacers needed?
« on: June 05, 2006, 09:14:47 PM »
I just found the 1.5" spring spacers on boondox.  I just may have to get those soon, after seeing .  Last fall I spent a good money on sipped  LT235's, and I am not ready to get rid of them yet.  Would the extra 1.5" change the center of gravity enough to where it is that noticeable?  Would you need wheel spacers to counteract the change? Especially if you do the strut mount flip and the longer shocks in the back.  What would that extra 1.5" do for you on the trail?  Would that much (or little) extra articulation make any diffrence?
Jeff
95 Kick 4dr JLX.

Offline echojeff

• Lo que sea
Re: Spring spacers..... are wheel spacers needed?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 05:49:50 AM »
Oh and I forgot, and if you a 2 or 3 inch body lift on also.  It just seems to me that you need to do somthing to keep the thing from being tipy.  I have seen a few sammy videos on here where they rolled pretty easly. 
Jeff
95 Kick 4dr JLX.

Offline Memphis

• Need a Rig
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 06:30:20 AM »
Don't drive around like it's the indy 500 and you won't tip  ::)

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 05:44:57 PM »
My Tracker's got the 6" Calmini lift system and I'm driving it around on 215/75R15 Goodyear GSA's on stock wheels right now.  Looks like a big rollerskate. :P ;)  Gas mileage went up though.

I can tell it's a little more "wobbly" around corners than it was with 31x10.5R15 tires on 2.5" backspaced wheels...but not a whole lot.  I was expecting to crap my pants at the first corner...I told my wife she probably couldn't drive it like this (coughleadfootcough ;D) but you know, it handles just fine.  The tires are completely under the fenders, just like stockers, and the 31's stuck out at least 4" from the fenders...and it drives fine.

Don't buy the hype that lifting a vehicle necessarily turns it into a pogo stick or whatever.  I think the better truck tires you got with their stiffer sidewalls will more than offset the little bit higher your CG would be with 1.5" of lift.  My prediction is you won't even notice a difference. 8)

Offline bzzr2

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 09:19:39 PM »
i have 1.5 inch spacer lift on my tracker with 30's on stock wheels with no problems at all.  that much or little bit of lift completely changed the way my tracker runs off road, all for the better! 
03-ZR2, 2dr, 31x10.5 SSR's & stuff...--sold :-(
03 xl7, jeff's 2inch spacer lift, 225/75/16's; sold
09 taco reg cab short box 4x4

Offline echojeff

• Lo que sea
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 04:46:29 AM »
My Tracker's got the 6" Calmini lift system and I'm driving it around on 215/75R15 Goodyear GSA's on stock wheels right now.  Looks like a big rollerskate. :P ;)  Gas mileage went up though.

I can tell it's a little more "wobbly" around corners than it was with 31x10.5R15 tires on 2.5" backspaced wheels...but not a whole lot.  I was expecting to crap my pants at the first corner...I told my wife she probably couldn't drive it like this (coughleadfootcough ;D) but you know, it handles just fine.  The tires are completely under the fenders, just like stockers, and the 31's stuck out at least 4" from the fenders...and it drives fine.

Don't buy the hype that lifting a vehicle necessarily turns it into a pogo stick or whatever.  I think the better truck tires you got with their stiffer sidewalls will more than offset the little bit higher your CG would be with 1.5" of lift.  My prediction is you won't even notice a difference. 8)

Thanks, thats the kind of info I am looking for.  Once a week, I drive along the front range on the freeway, and lately the wind has been pretty bad.  Just thinking about the safety for that.  Those tires are pretty stout, I aired down to 15psi on the trail, and they were just starting to bulge out a little. That is some kind of rollerskate thing you got going there, but it is a good example of how even though it looks like it is up to high, it still does ok on the street.

i have 1.5 inch spacer lift on my tracker with 30's on stock wheels with no problems at all.  that much or little bit of lift completely changed the way my tracker runs off road, all for the better! 

I was starting to wonder if 1.5" would make any diffrence without going to bigger tires.  Thats good to know. 

Thanks
Jeff
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 05:01:38 AM by echojeff »
95 Kick 4dr JLX.

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 05:11:55 AM »
I ran mine with a 2" spring lift and 215/80s on the stock rims. No problems, it doesn't handle quite as well as stock but its not far off. It was sooooo much better with the spacers though  ;D
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 06:17:13 PM »
In my defence I'm between tires right now.  Got some 31" muds coming...along with proper gearing...22mpg is SOOO nice compared to 19-20. :P

Offline trackenator

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006, 09:12:57 PM »
ive got a92 tracker 5spd 200,000 miles. 3in bl,2in spring spacers. 31x10.50x15 swampers. NO special rims. nuff room for 34in tires(i think)handles great,in fact just pulledmy popup camper(900lb) did great(glad i live in toledo oh,hills would be tuff toclimb)stillgetting25/26mpg.my tires only stick out about 1 or2 in tops.