Hello Guest

<RANT> The Fools at Suzuki who...

• 17 Replies

Offline Trail Rabbit

• Neither here nor there
<RANT> The Fools at Suzuki who...
« on: June 04, 2006, 08:25:13 PM »
...thought it was OK to have to drop the drive shaft in order to change the auto-tranny filter! >:(
As it was 110 degrees today I'm pretty POed.

If I was King for a day I'd make every car engineer and thier supervisors pull regular maintainece on a new car design outside in a Wisconson winter, IN SHORTS, before final approval. Bet thier would be no more oil filters that you need 4 joints in your arm to reach, no spark plugs that can't be changed with out lifting the engine and no dropping the drive shaft or pulling off of anything to do a fluid change >:(  Everything would be quick and easy.

<rant-off>

Steve
'00 2Dr Tracker W/ 4Cyl, Auto Trans and Manual Hubs and 235/75R15 Gen Grabber AT2
Way too stock....

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
Re: <RANT> The Fools at Suzuki who...
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 09:22:28 PM »
AMEN!

Ever tried to change the spark plugs on a 4.0L Ford Ranger/Explorer?  Easy enough except for the rear sparkplug on the driver's side is nearly directly behind the AIR line running on top of the manifold.  Luckily you can get the spark plug socket in the hole, stick the extension into it, tilt the whole assembly, and then turn it enough that you can get it loose.

Let's not forget ball joints that are integrated into control arms so you have to replace the whole thing as one unit! >:(

Offline derekj

• i'm the canadian guy eh?
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 10:30:31 PM »
this is a good one - new ford f150's you have to raise the cab up off the frame to replace head gaskets!!!

derekj
91 Sidekick jx
2" BDS supension lift
2" BDS body lift
1" Coil spacers
32" TSL's and some other stuff I did And now with a Lockrite!  www.cardomain.com/memberpage/783382

Offline pcguy

• 1996 Tracker 4x4
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 02:39:57 AM »
ever try to change out the rear bank of plugs on a toyota avalon v6 at home in the driveway? A ten minute job takes 3 hours fumbling around with 3 extensions and 2 u joints on the wrench LOL

Offline Quaddawg

• Flex and Ground Clearance is HIGHLY overrated!!
    • My Ebay Store
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 09:05:15 AM »
I HEAR YOU!!!

The engineers should be the first against the wall when the revolution comes!!!
1996 Tracker Daily Driver, "The Flea"

Clicke HERE for Specs and Pics[/url]

Offline purevil71

• Someday when I grow up, I wanna be hardcore too!!
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 11:14:12 AM »
AMEN!

Ever tried to change the spark plugs on a 4.0L Ford Ranger/Explorer?  Easy enough except for the rear sparkplug on the driver's side is nearly directly behind the AIR line running on top of the manifold.  Luckily you can get the spark plug socket in the hole, stick the extension into it, tilt the whole assembly, and then turn it enough that you can get it loose.

As a matter of fact.....yes I have......lol

My wife's old civic was the "pull the passenger side tire off to change the oil" thing.  That was fun.  Whats up with that anyway??

88.5 Samurai
Balls Deep 4x4 & Off-Road
I-Zook Staff

Offline sergi

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 02:49:54 PM »
If I EVER become an auotmotive engineer I PROMISE I'll take all this into acount. I know what its like too. I bet most of them have never used a wrench before >:(.
Suzuki Grand Vitara 3dr TurboDiesel
Barcelona, Europe
Aquesta és la meva màquina. Creus que em pots seguir?

Offline karl214

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 03:24:33 PM »
Hey lets not forget the brains behind genral motors that gave us the S10 & S15's.. Ain't nothing like raising a body 4 to 6 inches to do a engine swap... All that just for a few bellhousing bolts... And while I'm at it I'll also slam fomoco for the joy of changing spark plugs in the areostar's...My Tracker has been by far the best  to work on in years..... ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 06:08:16 PM by karl214 »
Rust in Peace Black Bugger..1994 sidekick... Planing on a Digger"donuts" and 3 inch bodylift, topped off with 31x10.50's in the spring.New D.D 90 softtop lilblue with the heart of black bugger

Offline Quaddawg

• My Ebay Store
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 06:43:20 PM »
Yeah, that's true, this Tracker is the EASIEST thing I have wrenched in years.. haven't found much to complain about yet.. I would bitch about having to remove the front housing to get at the thirdmember,  only it's SO easy to pull the housing..

Bout the only thing I have found to truly complain about is the poor design for the rear mount of the front diff, BUT, it was never designed to hold up to what we put it through...

Offline tOnKa TrAcKeR

• support our troops
    • Cardomain site
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 07:53:03 PM »
thats alright a couple of years ago my sister called me to say that the battery was dead in her 01 Intrepid so I went ahead and grabbed a new battery on the way.  When I popped the hood i couldn't find the battery. You have to remove a wheel to change the battery WTF??? So I just jumped her I wasnt going to do all of that on the side of the road. Whilst working at NAPA I found out that a lot of Chrysler Cars are like this.  As a matter of fact some newer vehicles youe have to remove the back seat to change the battery. It is pretty bad that now we have a book to tell us where the batteries are located on specific vehicles....used to be you opened the hood and viola theres the battery

Stand down, MSG Arthur L. Lilley, your mission is now complete, may you rest in eternal peace.

Offline HotRod

• 95 Tracker
    • cardomain.
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 09:00:04 PM »
These are all reasons why I locve my Kicks
RWD.engine is mounted in the proper location and direction.
FWDs are a PITA
95 2dr Geo Tracker with Calmini 6"inch combo lift, 32'inch BFGs M/Tlocked and loaded--D.D is my 06 Racy RED Aerio SX AWD

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 10:07:24 PM »

Interesting fact.  A copy of Encyclopedia Galactica fell through a wormhole and under the defenition of "Automotive Engineers" was a simple line specifying that they were the first against the wall when the revolution comes.

Then again, you might not be quoting H2G2...  :P
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Quaddawg

• My Ebay Store
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 06:36:05 PM »

Interesting fact.  A copy of Encyclopedia Galactica fell through a wormhole and under the defenition of "Automotive Engineers" was a simple line specifying that they were the first against the wall when the revolution comes.

Then again, you might not be quoting H2G2...  :P

Ah, but I WAS!!   good eye..   

I really want a license plate that says

Was going to name my boat   "42"
or something along those lines...

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2006, 11:17:53 AM »
Probably the EASIEST vehicle I ever worked on was my stock 57 Chevy. I swear I could have worked on that whole truck with 12 tools and bailing wire. I don't think I ever did anything on that truck that took more than 1/2 a day to replace / work on.

~J~
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline karl214

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2006, 02:53:26 PM »
Probably the EASIEST vehicle I ever worked on was my stock 57 Chevy. I swear I could have worked on that whole truck with 12 tools and bailing wire. I don't think I ever did anything on that truck that took more than 1/2 a day to replace / work on.

~J~

Didn't G.M include the wire with them back then?? LOL..
Rust in Peace Black Bugger..1994 sidekick... Planing on a Digger"donuts" and 3 inch bodylift, topped off with 31x10.50's in the spring.New D.D 90 softtop lilblue with the heart of black bugger