Hello Guest

body lift=bad???

• 29 Replies

Offline ddevil

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
body lift=bad???
« on: May 27, 2006, 11:47:57 AM »
ok i was talking to a friend of mine and he was swearing up and down that if i put a body lift on my tracker that i was going to end up having problems because they're hard on vehicles.  now i've never heard of anyone having any kind of problems with a simple body lift.  suspension lifts yeah due to adding stress to the driveline, cv and such but a body lift?  this guy swears up and down though.  so it kinda had me thinking and worrying a little i guess.  so before i lift my tracker 2" is there any reasons i shouldn't?  someone please ease my mind so i can get some lift on my beast..... :D

mike
'95 geo tracker 2dr 5spd soft top with 2" suspension lift

Offline Yoak

Re: body lift=bad???
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 11:57:56 AM »
Ive heard this before,

it has to done with the stresse put on the bolt's that hold the cab to the frame.

However most people on this board are running them and have no issues...

now if you got with something extreme on the other hand...well thats different

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 11:59:22 AM »
2-3" are fine. Use good bolts.

~J~
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline lowrezolution

• "Get bent!"
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 12:08:13 PM »
Stick to 3" or less. A body lift done correctly is one of the best and cheapest way to gain tire clearence. We are so limited to suspension lift that this is one of the only options without spending mega bucks and sacrificing streetability.

2001 Tracker LWB
Boondox coil spacers and BDS springs 3.25" rear lift/3" front lift,3" body lift. 265/75/16 Durango Mud Terrains. (32")

Offline ddevil

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 12:20:30 PM »
cool, yup i'm using grade 8 bolts.  thanks guys....

mike

Offline Shredder

• She thinks my Tracker's sexy
    • Me & My Rig
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 03:50:17 PM »

??? What kind of a 2" body-lift are you putting on that Tracker? Most of the 2" kits use a custom metric "female bolt" that threads onto the stock studs that hang out of the body.
'96 Astro Van 2wd, +10 Overland, 32s, Tow Rig
'96 Tracker LWB 4x4, +4.5 Calmini/Boondox, +3 Boondox BL, 31x10.50 (wife rolled)
'93 Sidekick LWB 2x4, 235s, +3 Boondox Suspension kit, 4wd swap 2b
'91 Tracker SWB, Toy axles, YJ Springs, Boondox Swap Kit, 31x10.50

Offline Quaddawg

• Flex and Ground Clearance is HIGHLY overrated!!
    • My Ebay Store
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 04:08:10 PM »

??? What kind of a 2" body-lift are you putting on that Tracker? Most of the 2" kits use a custom metric "female bolt" that threads onto the stock studs that hang out of the body.

Actually, most are those crappy box tube lifts, I only know of one or two of the female bolt types..

me, I disagree, I think body lifts are an absolute last resort and rather........well...... let's just say that on trackicks, I see why folks do them, but I don't have to like it.. lol..

1996 Tracker Daily Driver, "The Flea"

Clicke HERE for Specs and Pics[/url]

Offline Uncivilized

• Car Domain
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 06:08:02 PM »

Actually, most are those crappy box tube lifts, I only know of one or two of the female bolt types..
Actually, all 2" body lift for the tracker use female sleave nuts and plastic like blocks. The only "crappy box tube" ones are either Calmini 3", Masterkit1 3" or custom built 3".

Offline Quaddawg

• Flex and Ground Clearance is HIGHLY overrated!!
    • My Ebay Store
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006, 07:27:30 PM »
oh, then my mistake.   sorry.
1996 Tracker Daily Driver, "The Flea"

Clicke HERE for Specs and Pics[/url]

Offline ddevil

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2006, 07:53:18 PM »
well i was going to put on some "crappy" square tube blocks but much to my dismay after i got everything apart and the driver side jacked up i realised that it wasn't going to work without cutting the stock body bolts and i don't want to do that.  so now i'm going to just suck it up and buy a 2" lift from sky offroad design.  thanks though everyone for the help.

mike

Offline Uncivilized

• Car Domain
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2006, 08:20:13 PM »
well i was going to put on some "crappy" square tube blocks but much to my dismay after i got everything apart and the driver side jacked up i realised that it wasn't going to work without cutting the stock body bolts and i don't want to do that.  so now i'm going to just suck it up and buy a 2" lift from sky offroad design.  thanks though everyone for the help.

mike
You don't need to cut the stock body bolts if you do 3" box tube.

Offline ddevil

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2006, 08:42:25 PM »
yeah but if i go 3" then i'll have to extend the shifters and the steering and i don't have a welder or anyone that could do it for me  :'(

Offline Yoak

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2006, 08:51:45 PM »
Go with 2" then, seems to be alot easier  ::)

Offline trackenator

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2006, 09:21:46 PM »
I put a 3in bl on my 92 tracker(along with 2in jeep spacers)no welding on the steering didnt (but should) extend shifters ,just a little cutting. used original body bolts "made" my body lift using big washers,jacked up vehichle slid on washers(total of 12,on each bolt,i think) welded(at muffler shop)metric nuts on(4in) metal tube that just fit inside of the washers and extended thru the frame then bolted to the frame.much easier than jacking up high enough to fit 3in block,the washers you can slide in as soon as the bolt clears the frame. been running it for 2 years now with no problems cheap and effective. didnt need to do anything to the filler neck of gas tank either. I run 31x 10.50 swampers and have no problems except rubbing on frame at full turn no fancy backspacing or anything either used 15 x 7 rims have enough room for34 x 10.50 as soon as funds are available.

Offline ddevil

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2006, 09:42:12 PM »
I put a 3in bl on my 92 tracker(along with 2in jeep spacers)no welding on the steering didnt (but should) extend shifters ,just a little cutting. used original body bolts "made" my body lift using big washers,jacked up vehichle slid on washers(total of 12,on each bolt,i think) welded(at muffler shop)metric nuts on(4in) metal tube that just fit inside of the washers and extended thru the frame then bolted to the frame.much easier than jacking up high enough to fit 3in block,the washers you can slide in as soon as the bolt clears the frame. been running it for 2 years now with no problems cheap and effective. didnt need to do anything to the filler neck of gas tank either. I run 31x 10.50 swampers and have no problems except rubbing on frame at full turn no fancy backspacing or anything either used 15 x 7 rims have enough room for34 x 10.50 as soon as funds are available.

hmmm..... now that's not a bad idea...  what size of washers did you use?  i imagine probably around 2" o.d.  and where exactly did you place the washers for the front blocks?  i don't know why but they confuse the hell out of me :\   thanks....

yoak- lol, yeah i know...  ALOT easier right lol

« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 09:45:42 PM by milk »