Hello Guest

Will a 1.0 liter swift engine bolt in?

• 16 Replies

Offline Jimiweld

• www.fullfusion.ca
Will a 1.0 liter swift engine bolt in?
« on: May 10, 2006, 08:02:44 PM »
I was curious if a 1.0 liter 3 cylinder engine from a swift /geo/sprint would bolt into a tracker or sidekick. Is the bell housing on the tranny compatible?
1990 Tracker - 3.5" body Lift, 1.5 coil spacers, 31" TRXUS tires, homemade front bumper, Automatic Tansmission, 5.12 diff gears. Rear is Locked

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
Re: Will a 1.0 liter swift engine bolt in?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 08:43:52 PM »
I was curious if a 1.0 liter 3 cylinder engine from a swift /geo/sprint would bolt into a tracker or sidekick. Is the bell housing on the tranny compatible?

Sean DeVinney |removethispart|@ Aftermarket 4x4 has, i believe, done that.  Google Aftermaket Industries to find his site.  He'll be happy to answer your questions on the subject.
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 10:56:43 PM »
That's a better match for a Sammy trans
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 02:01:03 PM »
That's a better match for a Sammy trans

OOPS!

Didn't see the Tracker/Sidekick part of the message!

Wild is right -- Samurai is a better match, bolt-up wise.

Mea Culpa,
Ack

Offline ADavis

• Aaron's Webpage
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 04:11:17 PM »
I'm curious...why the 1.0 liter swift engine? 
Aaron

Offline Evolvocane

• the shop
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 05:59:14 PM »
me too.  Sounds like it would be way underpowered.
DIY so ya can pay me to do it right later.

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 07:33:57 PM »
I'm curious...why the 1.0 liter swift engine? 

Forgive me if this may not be true for some of us but,

WE ARE CHEAP!

You want a truck to wheel.  You find a Samurai with a nearly dead engine for next to nothing.   You find a 1.6 16v engine for $800 (no EFI harness) and then you also find a decent 1.0 three-banger out of a Metro for $200.  You read that the SJ 410 was only slightly smaller than a Samurai and got around okay with a 4 banger 1 liter engine...   You look at your funds.  You post the question.  QED.

It's okay.

Every time my Heep-owning friend at work talks about his '78 with the replacement transmission (formerly a Peugot) and t-case, the tires, the lockers and now the Brazilian 2.8L Diesel transplant, I think "...there but for the Grace of God go I".

Plus there is the challenge of building a truck like no other...  which translates to CHEAP!

Go for it, Jimiweld! Grab on to the tradition!  The only truck worth driving is the one that YOU built!

visit with Sean just to be safe, though...  ;D

Ack

Offline ADavis

• Aaron's Webpage
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 10:28:14 PM »
Hey, what ever floats their boat....or suzuki.  I was just wondering if there was some sort of performance gain by switching to a 1.0 liter.  Overall, Ack said it best, this is about "the challenge of having a truck like no other." 

And my question is still out there, is there any advantage of converting to the 1.0 liter besides price?  Still curious.
Aaron

Offline Digger

• 1996 Suzuki X-90 4X4
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 10:30:52 PM »
Perhaps better fuel economy? ???
Had a cool sig pic till I changed the text... sigh...
90 Tracker: "Silver", 2" BL, 1-1/2" Coil Spacers, Strut mount flip, Calmini Header, Winch, 31" Swamper radials, Sold.
98 Suzuki X-90: Calmini 2" Sus, 1-1/4" whl spcrs, 2" Exhaust, Cobra Safari Bar, Neon, Sold.
96 Suzuki X-90: Mostly stock daily driver(for now)

Offline ADavis

• Aaron's Webpage
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 10:36:33 PM »
Gas mileage would be a big incentive.  I was just looking up that the metro's would get anywhere between 48 to 55 mpg, combined city and highway.  with the gear reductions that are available now for the sami's, I think a 1.0 could push it.
Aaron

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006, 05:04:35 AM »
A 1 ltr in a Track/Kick (the original post said Track/Kick box) is going to be way underpowered and hopelessly overgeared. Given the abuse you would gave to give it to get anywhere I doubt if the economy would be much better than a 1.6. An SJ410 is good offroad but it isn't a quick vehicle, it is actually the same size as a Samurai but with narrower axles, same as the 413.  I did once consider putting a 3cyl 1ltr in my 410 but ruled it out as it is apparently a much weaker engine. I would never consider putting a 1 ltr in a Track/Kick except maybe to power a compressor  ;D
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline Jimiweld

• www.fullfusion.ca
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2006, 09:56:07 AM »
Thanks for all the responses, I guess everyone is curious as to why I would ask this. I think Adavis is correct about being cheap and working with what you have. I like the the 1.0 3 cylinder engine as it's very easy and cost effective to work on and it happens that I have a few kicking around. With the price of gas I was wondering if I could get this engine(with the proper gearing) to work effectively in a tracker. I like the idea of building things myself, these vehicles are not exactly power houses as they are, so why not go with that and see how small of an engine you can get in there and still use it as a daily driver and trail rig.
I must admit I like things to the extreme. If I'm going to have a small car, then lets have a really small car and get the best fuel economy out of it (3cylinder swifts) if I want a big car then I'll drive an Oldsmobile delta 88 that i had before so I can enjoy the comfort of driving my chesterfield (couch for you guys south of us  :))down the highway. I don't see much use in the inbetween cars like 6 cylinders, they seem to offer the worst of both worlds. This obviously goes for trucks too.
1990 Tracker - 3.5" body Lift, 1.5 coil spacers, 31" TRXUS tires, homemade front bumper, Automatic Tansmission, 5.12 diff gears. Rear is Locked

Offline Carnage

• If you only knew the POWER...
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006, 10:09:23 AM »
a diesel swap will get you 30-45 mpg

swifts get about 50 but the numbers will probably fall slightly if transplanted

Offline Jimiweld

• www.fullfusion.ca
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2006, 11:31:32 AM »
If I had a diesel engine around I would definitley go with something like that, but all I have are a few 3 cylinder swift engines so that is what I'd like to work with.
  Does anyone know if the 1liter engine will bolt up to the current bell housing of a tracker? Or what is required?

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2006, 01:37:15 PM »
...With the price of gas I was wondering if I could get this engine(with the proper gearing) to work effectively in a tracker...

I think that you should save a bit 'o money and get a bigger engine if you are planning to install a 1.0 3-cyl in a Tracker.   You probably won't be happy with the results and eventually, you'll want to rip that engine out for a bigger one.

A decent tracker should get pretty good mileage (20s).  A bit of engine rebuilding should squeeze even more MPG out of it.   The ultimate engine, as other have said, is the VW 1.6 or 1.9 NA or Turbo Diesel.  Kits exist for this engine and the engines are pretty plentiful.  Plus, they get killer mileage!

If you were talking about breathing life into a beater Samurai, then a 3-cylinder Swift might be a stopgap choice.  But a Tracker?  I'd drive it like it is until I had the money to invest in something better.

Hope this helps!
Ack