The Next XL-7

• 39 Replies

sapien

Re: The Next XL-7
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2006, 06:37:48 PM »
meh

looks big and expensive

bet you could outfit at least 4 zuks/kicks for the price of one brand new
how about 4 XL7's?  I paid just 8K for mine and with low mileage  :)

Offline Carnage

• If you only knew the POWER...
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2006, 07:11:23 PM »
meh
looks big and expensive
bet you could outfit at least 4 zuks/kicks for the price of one brand new
how about 4 XL7's?  I paid just 8K for mine and with low mileage  :)

true enough
but I dont know how much the new one would run so I figged 20K
and with 5k you can take a kick and toss lifts, bumpers, swampers, the works
but you get the idea
 8)

Offline rkteckt

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2006, 08:02:01 PM »
Yeah, its not a 4x4...... not even in all wheel drive mode......

I mean as a mid sized SUV i dont hate it.

I honestly dont consider any SUV that costs more than 20k to be areasonable off roader, they are more for snow and looks, so they may as well be front wheel drive with a rear wheel assist.

My other truck is an Avalanche Z71, with all the little bells and whistles that you get with that 4x4 package. Snow cant stop it....and light duty off-roading is ok, but i would never consider taking it anywhere that it would scrape a tree or get near a log or rock......it just cost too damn much.

I just got back from Florida, saw a Minnesota driver down there with his custom lifted ford super duty diesel off road beast.....thing must have cost 60k with a huge custom body painted winch bumper, custom axles, pumpkins, suspension, wheels, tires, rooftop cargo rack, safari canvas cargo bed tenting, off raod lights MOUNTED BEHIND THE CAB ABOUT 6" ABOVE THE ROOFLINE.....duh, Anyway the point being it could have been front wheel drive for all that it would ever get near dirt or a rock...... it was totally for show.

Last point...

Our kids who are interested in off roading will probably only have pick-up truck derived 4x4's to play with. Passenger vehicles are becoming more and more regulated and engineers are under pressure to improve gas mileage, safety, comfort, ride, handling, all the things that a good 4x4 compromises. The Samurai could never be liscenced in america as a new car these days, it would never pass the new saftey regulations. You can see what those requirements do if you trace the Samurai through the final convertible Tracker......they keep getting bigger and heavier until they dissappear forever.....

So as much as we hate that the XL-7 is no longer a true 4x4, it was inevitable.
1991 samurai , Mall Crawler, neon green, YJ lift, Wifes vanity plates.
1988.5 tintop too many mods to list. The work samurai.
2005 Avalanche Z71
2003 Matrix XRS
1993 sidekick 4dr 2wd donor thats too nice to destroy yet. 1992 Toyo Pup POS

Offline fullspectrum

• behind the 8 ball
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2006, 10:42:03 PM »
   Well said guys....so now that the longterm prognosis for Suzuki has been carved in stone, any ideas what we'll be wheeling when we are all say... 15-20  years older. So far Ford has screwed up the Explorer (full frame with front and rear Independent Suspension). Chevy still holds up the banner with a full framed solid rear axle Trailblazer and a few other full sized models.  Then theres the pickups and the last resort....the Heeps, but even they are getting more wimpy by the year....I know there's plenty of Zooks to go around for many years to come, but I'm curious what the average Zook enthusiast would wheel if there were no Zooks left  :'(
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right." - Henry Ford

Offline Tracker_Camps96

• Who says a Tracker cant be fast and agile?
    • My lowrider/cardomain page
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2006, 11:24:04 PM »
What would I wheel if there were no Zuks left..... I would wheel barefoot.
96 Geo Tracker - K&N Filter, Calmini Header with 2" exhaust and performance muffler. American Racing Rims/Cooper Cobra GT tires. 2500 Watt Sound System w/Subs on tailgate.

07 Toyota Yaris Liftback- Stock

1980 Suzuki GS450L - 21K,stock, fixing up.  Kawasaki STX-12F - 125 hp  A pair of Adida

Offline Carnage

• If you only knew the POWER...
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2006, 11:33:08 PM »

isnt that just called "hiking"
 :P
 ;D

Offline Quaddawg

• Flex and Ground Clearance is HIGHLY overrated!!
    • My Ebay Store
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2006, 08:43:23 AM »
I'd prolly wheel some OTHER Japanese light-weight or at least smaller 4x4

Montero (not a light-weight!)

4 runner

Yota

something..

If it got really bad, I would prolly just build a tube buggy with available parts and make it small and light, but wide and low to the ground like my current Zuk.

I mean, all the parts you could ever want are now made aftermarket, and in recycling yards)

I saw a MEAN 4-runner going down the road today.. there was a cop behind the wheel.. I pulled up to him at a light and complemented him.. he was sort of an asshole about it anyway..lol...  Thing was lifted a little, snorkeled, trimmed, had a winch and high lift, LTB's... looked capable.. was dented all around, like it SHOULD be..  ;D   I was thinking to myself that I would wheel one of those if I could get one right.
1996 Tracker Daily Driver, "The Flea"

Clicke HERE for Specs and Pics[/url]

Offline fullspectrum

• behind the 8 ball
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2006, 01:19:14 PM »

If it got really bad, I would prolly just build a tube buggy with available parts and make it small and light, but wide and low to the ground like my current Zuk.

I mean, all the parts you could ever want are now made aftermarket, and in recycling yards)

I guess I would build a frame myself and slap some diffs under it and put whatever cute-ute body that was available like a frameless 06 Zuk body or Rav4 or CRV.  I guess anything could be done. Just gotta weld some crossbeams to the body and fab up some body mounts. What drivetrain,computer etc..and how to make that work??? ??? That's what I would do. I like the tube buggies but I like to wheel in the winter too and not in a snowmobile suit   :D Plus if it could pass somehow as street legal even better. By this time(15-20 years) my fab skills should be up to the challenge...  ;D That would be cool a Rav4 on 4runner axles and 35's
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right." - Henry Ford

Offline Maroon Monsoon

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2006, 05:24:18 PM »
I'd wheel a yota or jeep probably, good vehicles. don't know if I'll ever get another zuk, honestly didn't even like them till I started driving mine, now I love them, however, a yota already has stronger drive train parts and more stuff is availiable. however, GV's and kicks are comperable to a 5 link rear 4 runner because GV's have 5 link and kicks have 3 which is even better, also, zuk's don't have crappy torsion bars, oh how i hate those

2000 Grand Vitara.. boondox coil spacer lift w/ pro comp 2 inch lift shocks and ome struts. 225/75 R16 Kumho Mt's, powdercoated wheels, rear brake line relocation and stuff to acomodate. custom exhaust and intake along with some 1 off accesories.

Offline jSager

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2006, 06:10:55 PM »
Maybe we will just adapt, or at least our kids will.  The fundamental problem is cost vs. performance, and that always goes down over time.  There will be a time when independent suspensions are both stout and cheap, probably in most of our lifetimes.

In the mean time, if going “softâ€? on the XL-7 is what keeps an innovative company alive and growing, then so be it.  It will probably be the best vehicle for what it was designed for.  Then maybe down the road they can return to their roots, but with the strength to do it well.

jSager

Offline Bigzook

• Current owner of the famous Audi Kick
    • Donkey Worx Galleries
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2006, 07:23:40 PM »
If I ever build my zook and get tired of it I will build a buggy. I plan on having my lil red sammy for a looong time though. I will wheel the black one hard and see what happens.

Offline Tracker_Camps96

• Who says a Tracker cant be fast and agile?
    • My lowrider/cardomain page
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2006, 11:38:19 PM »

isnt that just called "hiking"
 :P
 ;D

Exactly!

If not Suzuki, I would *gasp* buy a CAR because wheeling just wouldnt be as fun without a Suzuki made beast.
96 Geo Tracker - K&N Filter, Calmini Header with 2" exhaust and performance muffler. American Racing Rims/Cooper Cobra GT tires. 2500 Watt Sound System w/Subs on tailgate.

07 Toyota Yaris Liftback- Stock

1980 Suzuki GS450L - 21K,stock, fixing up.  Kawasaki STX-12F - 125 hp  A pair of Adida

sapien

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2006, 09:23:12 PM »
but I dont know how much the new one would run so I figged 20K
more like 30K with all the trimmings!

Offline Maroon Monsoon

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2006, 09:16:27 AM »
Maybe we will just adapt, or at least our kids will.  The fundamental problem is cost vs. performance, and that always goes down over time.  There will be a time when independent suspensions are both stout and cheap, probably in most of our lifetimes.

In the mean time, if going “soft� on the XL-7 is what keeps an innovative company alive and growing, then so be it.  It will probably be the best vehicle for what it was designed for.  Then maybe down the road they can return to their roots, but with the strength to do it well.

jSager

why couldn't they have kept the 2nd gen kick/tracker as well as the stupid 06 GV and new xl 7? I think they should have done that and called the 06 GV something else because the only thing that's "grand vitara" about it is the name and the engine block, not the rest of the motor, jus tthe block. I can't stand it, it's so hard to find a good new vehicle, not that I can afford one, but you know
2000 Grand Vitara.. boondox coil spacer lift w/ pro comp 2 inch lift shocks and ome struts. 225/75 R16 Kumho Mt's, powdercoated wheels, rear brake line relocation and stuff to acomodate. custom exhaust and intake along with some 1 off accesories.

Offline Marshall

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2006, 09:58:03 PM »
These new "SUVs" suck. 
I could own a new car making the payments but nobody makes anything worth a shit.

I don't care if I hit the lottery I will not buy the crap car companies are making for SUVs now.
It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow.