Hello Guest

GV Headers and downpipes

• 66 Replies

Offline Trail Rabbit

• Neither here nor there
Re: GV Headers and downpipes
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2006, 11:34:38 PM »
Car Craft did an artical testing Cats a few years back and found that hi-flow after market cats cost 0(!) HP compared to a straight pipe.
The only gain was in ditching the factory one. About 5 HP on 305ci Camaro IIRC.

Except in Kaliforniastan where you aren't allowed to replace the Cats unless it isn't working right  :'(
Tell me about it. They are moving toword a total ban on car MODs >:(
'00 2Dr Tracker W/ 4Cyl, Auto Trans and Manual Hubs and 235/75R15 Gen Grabber AT2
Way too stock....

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2006, 09:19:09 AM »
Maplebar...doh...man...trying to remember the name of the place I used when I lived in San Diego.  Some place down in El Cajon that did a lot of custom work.  Did really good work for me.  The deal with the cat is that they can replace it if you are past a certain mileage OR your cat is clogged...or they think it is defective or getting so.  So they can almost always come up with a reason to replace a cat...and then simply justify it by saying the cat was going bad.  As long as a cat goes back on to replace the OEM unit, high flow or not, it is essentially legal.

That said the testing I have seen is that high flow cats offer minimal, if any, gain over modern cats.  Older brick style cats flowed like crap but the modern honeycomb ones in use since the mid-90s flow very well.  I put a CarSound (Magnaflow) cat on my Tracker simply because it was cheap and quality, I doubt I saw much gain from it over an OEM replacement cat.

Those bills will only become laws if you guys do not get out and vote against it.  There are enough car enthusiasts in California, of any political party, that would be adversely affected by a potential law as stupid as this that I doubt it could pass if enough outrage was shown.  Hot Rodders, boy-racers-rice rockets, offroaders, rock crawlers, mall cruisers, restoration guys, shops, businesses, fab shops, etc etc etc etc.
Michigan had a bill to do something similar and also ban "derelict vehicles" (IE-your parts vehicle or project that you do not keep in a garage) in visible site about 4 years ago.  This is Michigan...you would not beleive the groundswell of anger and outrage that came up from the masses.  It never even got to the floor of the house other than as a sidenote that the sponsor was withdrawing it.

Offline JDMCRX

• 02 Grand Vitra Pimp lol
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2006, 05:47:44 PM »
Thanks man for the advice. Ill be dynoing the truck before and after. As for the tubes we are doing long tubes which will be lenght wise dunno yet. the primary cats are being removed. Ive done headers on other vehicles. The O2 sensor we may move behind the main car which will be a Carsound 2.5 Round.

As for getting 25 guys to buy them good luck on that. these trucks are still to new for people to mod the tits out of.

We are in the mits of mounting a Eaton 78 blower on the GV. I have been looking at it and ill be doing the fabing out this soon.

Pics will be on my site.

Josh
01 GRAND VITARA

JBAUTO LONGTUBE HEADERS AND 2.5" JBAUTO EXHAUST

New project H27 in the GV goal 200 Wheel Horse Power  JPB 1.75"front 2" rear Grand Vitra lifts  www.jbauto.ca[/url]

Offline JDMCRX

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2006, 07:29:22 PM »
Man alot of good info there.
01 GRAND VITARA

New project H27 in the GV goal 200 Wheel Horse Power  JPB 1.75"front 2" rear Grand Vitra lifts  www.jbauto.ca[/url]

Offline Trail Rabbit

• Neither here nor there
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2006, 09:37:12 PM »
glad it could help.
When I talked to Loren yesterday about these, he figured that it would be best to go with the three cly on each side starting with 1 1/2" primarys 'w'ing into a 1 3/4" secondary pipe with the end expanded out to the pre-cat size.
Harbor Freight has some pipe expanders that will make the smooth transition from one size to the next.

If your going to get rid of the pre-cats take a look at our Tundra header for ideas.

Steve
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 09:42:00 PM by Trail Rabbit »
'00 2Dr Tracker W/ 4Cyl, Auto Trans and Manual Hubs and 235/75R15 Gen Grabber AT2
Way too stock....

Offline cj

• I drive a really big ATV
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2006, 12:26:03 AM »

We are in the mits of mounting a Eaton 78 blower on the GV. I have been looking at it and ill be doing the fabing out this soon.

Pics will be on my site.

Josh

Sounds cool...can't wait to see more. I would have thought that the Eaton M45 would have been a nice one to use on these. What are the specs on the 78?

Offline the_maplebar

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2006, 11:33:09 PM »
Maplebar...doh...man...trying to remember the name of the place I used when I lived in San Diego.  Some place down in El Cajon that did a lot of custom work.  Did really good work for me.  The deal with the cat is that they can replace it if you are past a certain mileage OR your cat is clogged...or they think it is defective or getting so.  So they can almost always come up with a reason to replace a cat...and then simply justify it by saying the cat was going bad.  As long as a cat goes back on to replace the OEM unit, high flow or not, it is essentially legal.

I figured that was probably the case, but you would have to have a shop that is willing to jump through the hoops.  I'm out in Santee now, about 5 minutes from El Cajon, the exhaust isn't going to be done anytime soon but when I do get around to a good recomendation is always welcome if you happen to remember the name of that place.
2002 4DR Tracker V6 ZR2.... 1.5"/2" coil spacers front/rear, BDS Strut Extensions, 235/75R15 Cooper STT... They ROCK!!!
http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=35.msg111575#msg111575[/url]

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2006, 03:42:20 AM »
God, it was the name of a guy...I think...Fred's?  Something like that. :P

Offline Maroon Monsoon

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2006, 12:29:25 AM »
a blower on a GV? can't wait, you are freaking awesome dude

it will show those wiener supercharged X terra's what's up and then some!

can you believe those only get 210 HP stock with a super charger and the displacement they have? I think the 06 GV has like 180 naturally aspirated with a tiny 2.7 litre... suzuki just puts a nissan motor that's bigger and forced induction to shame I guess... the 2.5 with a blower will be really gnarly
2000 Grand Vitara.. boondox coil spacer lift w/ pro comp 2 inch lift shocks and ome struts. 225/75 R16 Kumho Mt's, powdercoated wheels, rear brake line relocation and stuff to acomodate. custom exhaust and intake along with some 1 off accesories.

Offline IanL

• You know the answer - DIY :-)
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2006, 01:31:14 AM »
... I think the 06 GV has like 180 naturally aspirated with a tiny 2.7 litre...

That's about right for a Mazda K-series with VRIS, though they went only to 2.5 litres.  Suzuki may have had them alter the cams to give more low-down torque, which is nice in an off-roader.
'98 GV V6, '96 X-90 with RRO 2.5" lift and 195/80 R15, '93 Cappuccino.

Offline cj

• I drive a really big ATV
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2006, 03:02:45 PM »

Offline binkie

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2006, 05:54:07 PM »
The Suzuki engine was made by Mazda??  Thats interesting.

Offline JDMCRX

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2006, 11:52:04 PM »
I find that hard to believe. AS the KL series is totaly different. They run one cam gear with a gear drive for reverse on the cam gear. The J25 runs a chain on the secondary cam.

Anyhow. It will be a custom made intake plenium and so forth. Im gonna be running SMT for extra fuel and we will see im shoting for 300whp which i think will not be a problem or i may just got twin T25 turbos or TDO5A.

Who knows. I got to finsih up two lifts first

josh
01 GRAND VITARA

Offline IanL

• You know the answer - DIY :-)
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2006, 01:56:02 AM »
I find that hard to believe. AS the KL series is totaly different. They run one cam gear with a gear drive for reverse on the cam gear. The J25 runs a chain on the secondary cam.

No question there are differences, but the basic engine is the same, and the development of the 2.5 must have drawn on the stretch from KF to KL.

I'm not sure this article is entirely correct, but the basic history is there: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_H_engine

It's also interesting that the description of the 2.7's new induction system sounds like an attempt to describe VRIS without saying "VRIS".
'98 GV V6, '96 X-90 with RRO 2.5" lift and 195/80 R15, '93 Cappuccino.

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2006, 07:27:40 AM »
I think it was cj and our friends from Oz that noticed the 2.0L V6 was a modified Mazda V6.  The 2.5L and 2.7L were developed from it.