Hello Guest

Body Lift with the strut brace.. & gas tank lift..

• 32 Replies

Offline bzzr2

Body Lift with the strut brace.. & gas tank lift..
« on: February 21, 2006, 10:36:02 AM »
hi guys, i'm looking in to my next mod which will likely be a 2" RR body lift.  Does anybody out there actually have one installed on a GV or ZR2 with the strut brace?  Also has anybody done a gas tank lift on one of these models?  I guess I'm looking for any problems the may have come up during install/setup.   i'm not worried about bumper mounting but would be curious to see what console changes may be required.

thanks!
03-ZR2, 2dr, 31x10.5 SSR's & stuff...--sold :-(
03 xl7, jeff's 2inch spacer lift, 225/75/16's; sold
09 taco reg cab short box 4x4

Offline Maroon Monsoon

Re: Body Lift with the strut brace.. & gas tank lift..
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 11:07:13 AM »
sounds like that will be a cool mod. I've been helping a friend body lift a nissan hard body recently and it's quite a bit of disconnecting things just to gat started with the actual lifting proccess. lots of work for us since we've never done a body lift before. good luck with all that. I'm thinking you may be able to make strut brace spacers so it can still connect. maybe out of uhmw plastic or a piece of metal, whatever works. just an idea
2000 Grand Vitara.. boondox coil spacer lift w/ pro comp 2 inch lift shocks and ome struts. 225/75 R16 Kumho Mt's, powdercoated wheels, rear brake line relocation and stuff to acomodate. custom exhaust and intake along with some 1 off accesories.

Offline the_maplebar

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 01:01:56 PM »
Nomaad and some others have put them on an XL-7.  Should be the same.

Here's the thread
http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=7791.0

And here is the finished writeup. Very good with pics.
http://www.carneyco.com/ProjectNomaad.pdf

From everything I have seen, people cut the inner fender well some to make room for the strut brace after the body lift.  I have never heard of any reports on the gas tank lift with a 99+, I would be interested to hear how it goes.
2002 4DR Tracker V6 ZR2.... 1.5"/2" coil spacers front/rear, BDS Strut Extensions, 235/75R15 Cooper STT... They ROCK!!!
http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=35.msg111575#msg111575[/url]

Offline blacknight

• Gonzookin
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 05:27:00 PM »
Read Nomaad's write-up it will be the same for the GV.  As for the gas tank lift you can forget about that if you don't want a ton of work as their are two steel tubes that run from the bumper to a cross member right above the gas tank. >:(   
George

Offline bzzr2

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 01:23:17 PM »
thanks for the links, nomaads install is what i was looking for, very detailed, i also found this for anybody else who might be interested in this mod; http://www.off-road.com/suzuki/tech/vitara_lift/  i know things will vary slightly with my vehicle but things should be fine.  it is afterall wearing chevy badges  :-[, well only on the grill now...

interesting about the steel tubes above the tank, i haven't had a close look at that yet so when things do progress i'll post up what i find.  the gas tank on these things is low and my factory zr2 skid plate is kinda like tinfoil....  changing that may be another option..

thanks again.

Offline Maroon Monsoon

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 11:06:26 PM »
thanks for the links, nomaads install is what i was looking for, very detailed, i also found this for anybody else who might be interested in this mod; http://www.off-road.com/suzuki/tech/vitara_lift/  i know things will vary slightly with my vehicle but things should be fine.  it is afterall wearing chevy badges  :-[, well only on the grill now...

interesting about the steel tubes above the tank, i haven't had a close look at that yet so when things do progress i'll post up what i find.  the gas tank on these things is low and my factory zr2 skid plate is kinda like tinfoil....  changing that may be another option..

thanks again.

I've given my tiny looking skid plate a bit of a beating and it has handled it well. I have a decent sized dent in it but I have later on driven off sidewalks and hit it really hard when there are passengers in it and those bars that hold the tinny stuff are pretty stout
2000 Grand Vitara.. boondox coil spacer lift w/ pro comp 2 inch lift shocks and ome struts. 225/75 R16 Kumho Mt's, powdercoated wheels, rear brake line relocation and stuff to acomodate. custom exhaust and intake along with some 1 off accesories.

Offline JDMCRX

• 02 Grand Vitra Pimp lol
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 02:09:37 PM »
Nice write up I think ill be ordering my body lift up soon.

hows the lift on the ZR2

josh
01 GRAND VITARA

JBAUTO LONGTUBE HEADERS AND 2.5" JBAUTO EXHAUST

New project H27 in the GV goal 200 Wheel Horse Power  JPB 1.75"front 2" rear Grand Vitra lifts  www.jbauto.ca[/url]

Offline 2K1USGV

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006, 03:13:05 PM »
I'll be installing my body lift next weekend and have a question. What happens to the gas tank filler hole when it's body lifted?

Offline Maroon Monsoon

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2006, 10:16:30 AM »
I'll be installing my body lift next weekend and have a question. What happens to the gas tank filler hole when it's body lifted?

with the nissan I helped body lift, it required an extension so the cap and stuff would sit in the same place. Basicly all it invilves is cutting the filler tube in two, then putting a piece of metal piping in between and hose clamping the filler tube to the extension pipe. There may be other ways to do it but I know that works

Offline bzzr2

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2006, 10:48:52 AM »
hey josh, let me know when you are getting ready to order, maybe we can order 2 and save on the shipping as you had mentioned in the past. 

the lift is working out well, thanks again, i finally picked up some rear shocks and might get to putting them in this weekend..  when i do there will finally be some pics as i've got my 'new' 'used' tires on now also. 

B

Offline blacknight

• Gonzookin
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2006, 11:35:26 AM »

For the GV and the Xl-7 you don't need to anything till you go past 3" for body lift.  Just unbolt it while installing the lift and bolt it back up when done.
George

Offline 2K1USGV

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2006, 02:19:34 PM »
Great, thnks black, that's just what I wanted to hear :) I should have it on sometime this week, sunday if at all possible since the lift is supposed to arrive today.

Offline lowrezolution

• "Get bent!"
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2006, 04:19:48 PM »
Hey guys,

Working on a 3" lift for the GV and Tracker.
Have some pieces being machined and ordered some brake lines to test fit.
Will post pics in the next week or so as it comes together.

2001 Tracker LWB
Boondox coil spacers and BDS springs 3.25" rear lift/3" front lift,3" body lift. 265/75/16 Durango Mud Terrains. (32")

Offline lowrezolution

• "Get bent!"
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2006, 04:22:32 PM »
Hey guys,

Working on a 3" body lift for my '01 Tracker.
Have some pieces being machined up by a friend for test fit and ordered some new s/s flexlines for brake mods.
Will have picks up within the next two weeks.

2001 Tracker LWB
Boondox coil spacers and BDS springs 3.25" rear lift/3" front lift,3" body lift. 265/75/16 Durango Mud Terrains. (32")

Offline 2K1USGV

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2006, 09:19:02 AM »
I installed the RRO body lift this weekend, actually this sunday. It was more of a pain in the ass than I expected but It does look good. I cutt the front and rear bumper skins to fit them over the stock bumper locations. I'll post pics in the next few days as the interior is still not put back together and I need to mount the brake lines and strut bar back up. I'll have a 2 inch spacer lift on in the next week or so for a 4 inch or so lift. Than I'll put on 31". :)