newbie question

• 23 Replies

Offline magiccat

• 94 Sidekick 2.5 spacer lift 30x9.5 mt's
newbie question
« on: February 15, 2006, 08:57:29 AM »
this is is probally a dumb idea
anyway's
I would like to achieve enough lift to accomidate 31's without fender trimming.
Heres the dumb part. I have accsess to a 84 jeep wagoner. I haven't had the time to see what kind of susupension setup it has. But if it has coils can I swap them into a 94 2dr sidekick and get 2-2.5 inches of lift. Any advise or help would be great. thank you. I was possibly considering a solid axle swap usuing the wagoneer axle. Would this woork, or am I just dreaming.

Offline Quaddawg

• Flex and Ground Clearance is HIGHLY overrated!!
    • My Ebay Store
Re: newbie question
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 10:09:21 AM »
Don't know about the jeep coils.. 

But, according to the width of the tires you get, and the offset of the wheels, I doubt  you will get the tires to not rub without either fender trimming or a body lift.
'
I have 31x11.50's on mine, with a 2-2 1/2 "  suspension lift, and LOTS of trimming, mostly in the front.. I have a small backspace, so I had to pound the floorboards back quite a bit..  I hate body lifts, but that would have solved most of my clearance issues..

Go ahead and trim it.. it's not that bad!!  LOL
1996 Tracker Daily Driver, "The Flea"

Clicke HERE for Specs and Pics[/url]

Offline joe_and_jeep

• Why have a Rev Limiter and not use it?
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 10:19:02 AM »
Wagoneers are drivers side drop, Trackers are passenger side drop.  Then depends on what Wagoneer you have, Full Size Grand Wagoneer or a smaller XJ Wagoneer.  Both of them have junk front axles, the Grand Wagoneers in 83/84 had a vacuum disconect D44 and the XJ Wagoneer had a Vacuum Disco D30.   Some Grands came without the Vacuum Disconect in 1984 if you have a late production.

Theres a lot of info that goes into the axles.  Lemme know which Wagoneer you have and I'll let ya know.
96 Tracker DD - 2in, 30s
95 Tracker Under the Knife - 4.3V6 - Rest Unknown
91 Jeep YJ Full Cage, Tri Link, D44/D44 35s
84 Jeep XJ Doubler HP44/9IN 35s

Offline magiccat

wagoner coils on 2dr sidekick
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 01:09:40 PM »
thanks for the info and help. What do you mean by passenger side droop vrs. driver side droop? Can I still use the wagoner coils to achieve lift? or will they be way to stiff for the sidekick? Thank you. Oh I still do'nt have all the info on the wagoner yet sorry.

Offline Quaddawg

• My Ebay Store
Re: wagoner coils on 2dr sidekick
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 01:45:52 PM »
thanks for the info and help. What do you mean by passenger side droop vrs. driver side droop? Can I still use the wagoner coils to achieve lift? or will they be way to stiff for the sidekick? Thank you. Oh I still do'nt have all the info on the wagoner yet sorry.

Drop...   not droop, two different things.

What he is referring to is the side of the vehicle that the transfer case, and subsequently the driveshafts fore and aft, are on.   A Wagoneer has it's Transfer case on the Drivers side, and the driveshafts "drop" from it, to the axles... SO.. if you try to axles with the pinions offset to the drives side, under a vehicle that has it's transfer case on the passenger side.. your driveshaft would have to cross over the vehicle to get to the axle.. just don't work.... see?    You have to look for axles that have the differential offset to the same side as your Transfer case.

A trackers TC is inline to the rear, but  the front "drops" off the passenger side, to the front axle.. so any axle you transplant as a SAS, will have to have the pumpkin offset to the passenger side of the vehicle...

Offline derekj

• i'm the canadian guy eh?
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 10:04:14 PM »
you will need at least 4" of lift on a trackick to clear 31's. you can go 2 & 2 or 1 & 3.

thats what mine looks like with a 2 and 2 lift.

derek
91 Sidekick jx
2" BDS supension lift
2" BDS body lift
1" Coil spacers
32" TSL's and some other stuff I did And now with a Lockrite!  www.cardomain.com/memberpage/783382

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 11:21:19 PM »
The question was about the Jeep springs, the
answer is not for the front, the rear would be
a little stiff, and the sprind end is a little big

You need a very strong spring for the front,
45o PSI/Inch is stock, and you would need
about a 500-550 PSI to get a lift, or some
spring spacers and a strut mount flip.

Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline Quaddawg

• My Ebay Store
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 04:22:35 AM »
you will need at least 4" of lift on a trackick to clear 31's. you can go 2 & 2 or 1 & 3.

thats what mine looks like with a 2 and 2 lift.

derek

or  2" suspension lift   and trimming...   (trimming isn't a bad thing)  IMO it's a better solution than a body lift, but it will be hard to find people that agree with me.. LOL.. I like keeping my CoG (center of gravity) as low as possible..

Offline derekj

• i'm the canadian guy eh?
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006, 08:03:28 AM »
the wife would have gotten mad if i took the sawzall to the fenders on the truck ;D - being that it is her truck

derek
91 Sidekick jx
2" BDS supension lift
2" BDS body lift
1" Coil spacers
32" TSL's and some other stuff I did And now with a Lockrite!  www.cardomain.com/memberpage/783382

Offline biker

• It's a sickness I tell ya
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2006, 09:04:42 AM »
The front coils from a down sized Jeep will work very well in the rear of a Track/Kick with a couple small tweeks. They will however give approx 5 inches of lift. The ride from them is actually quite soft.
94 Kick with bigger tires
99 Vitara 2wd
10 Gr Vitara

Offline magiccat

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2006, 09:53:44 AM »
So if you got 5 in. of lift in the rear, would you  have to make a spacer for the hemi joint? What could you do to the front to level it out. Spacers , strut spacer or mount flip? When you get longer coils do you also have to get longer shocks? I'm thinking about getting 1.5 coil spacers and doing the front strut mount flip. any pics or info on the strut mount flip would help. It'll be a while before I have enough for wheels and tires. I have 245/70/15 wild country at's with a lot of tread left on them. yes they do rub. I want to to tow the wagoner home and see what I can salvage from it. But I'm under the impression that I cant' use the springs in the front. And differential is on the wrong side for a track kick. Thanks everybody for the help. THis saved me a lot of trail and error.
oh how much was the bds 2'' suspension lift quaddog? Does it ride smooth? Thanks

Offline Uncivilized

• Car Domain
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2006, 10:23:10 AM »
or  2" suspension lift   and trimming...   (trimming isn't a bad thing)  IMO it's a better solution than a body lift, but it will be hard to find people that agree with me.. LOL.. I like keeping my CoG (center of gravity) as low as possible..
Funny, I alway thought suspension lifts heightened your COG more than body lifts, seeing as how you're raising the engine and frame along with the rest.....
I think the cheapest way to fit 31's is to do a 3" body lift and some fender trimming. After, you could add another 1" - 2" with coil spacers.

Kinda off topic, but has anyone heard using Chevette coils in the rear will give 3" lift?

Offline tOnKa TrAcKeR

• support our troops
    • Cardomain site
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2006, 12:07:29 PM »
Funny, I alway thought suspension lifts heightened your COG more than body lifts, seeing as how you're raising the engine and frame along with the rest.....
I think the cheapest way to fit 31's is to do a 3" body lift and some fender trimming. After, you could add another 1" - 2" with coil spacers.

Kinda off topic, but has anyone heard using Chevette coils in the rear will give 3" lift?

I think he was saying that hed rather do some fender trimming than a body lift to keep it lower

Stand down, MSG Arthur L. Lilley, your mission is now complete, may you rest in eternal peace.

Offline Quaddawg

• My Ebay Store
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2006, 08:23:24 AM »

I think he was saying that hed rather do some fender trimming than a body lift to keep it lower
  thanks,, yeah that is exactly what I was saying..   the ONLY two advatages of a body lift is tire clearance, and getting the rockers out of the way.. I have solved both problems without a body lift.

There are MANY detrimental aspects of a body lift.. CoG, strength, safety, wire,hoses, all sorts of stuff.. I just think that many people put body lifts on because of the "look" of  a lifted truck, when in reality you aren't gaining anything but clearance and a "look"   and because everybody else at the mall is doing it....

Offline Shredder

• She thinks my Tracker's sexy
    • Me & My Rig
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2006, 09:21:19 AM »

Chevette coils will usually give about 2.5" but the spring rate is stiff at 197 PPI. If you use TJ springs and plan to cut them down just remember that coil springs become stiffer with each cut you make. Here is the formula

(G x WxWxWxW) / (8 x N x DxDxD) = Rate ppi

G= Torsional Modulus of steel 11.25 x 10 to the sixth power, W=Wire Diameter in Inches
N=Number of Active Coils, D=Mean Coil Diameter in Inches, 8=A Constant for all Coil Springs

I just got a set of springs from Boodox for my wifes Kick. They gave me 2.5" front and 3" rear. Nice and soft too. About same spring rate as OEM. A kit relocates the upper mount on the rear axle to allow those springs and the longer travel shocks to cycle. Looks like a good set-up. Haven't tried it out off-road yet.
'96 Astro Van 2wd, +10 Overland, 32s, Tow Rig
'96 Tracker LWB 4x4, +4.5 Calmini/Boondox, +3 Boondox BL, 31x10.50 (wife rolled)
'93 Sidekick LWB 2x4, 235s, +3 Boondox Suspension kit, 4wd swap 2b
'91 Tracker SWB, Toy axles, YJ Springs, Boondox Swap Kit, 31x10.50