Hello Guest

Hardtop 2dr tracker?

• 16 Replies

Offline synergy_58

Hardtop 2dr tracker?
« on: January 26, 2006, 09:33:16 AM »
How desierable are factory hardtop tracks, compared to soft tops.  I found one that seems very nice, but the owner claims that his mechanic let the freon out while trying to replace a timing cover bolt.  NO, he didn't have the freon put back. Hmmmm?

Offline tOnKa TrAcKeR

• support our troops
    • Cardomain site
Re: Hardtop 2dr tracker?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 10:23:18 AM »
I wish i could find a nice hardtop here i really like them for some reason.

I f he did let the r12 out changing a bolt i dont blame him for not puting new freon in R12 is astranomically high!!!

Stand down, MSG Arthur L. Lilley, your mission is now complete, may you rest in eternal peace.

Offline reb

• Victim of CRS--Can't Remember Anything.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 10:44:25 AM »
My personal preference is for the hardtop.  There are too many sticky-fingered people out there and the soft top is too easy to get into.

Offline Uncivilized

• Car Domain
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 12:39:30 PM »
I have a 92 convertible with a soft top and a fiberglass top - both leak and have their own noises, the soft top flaps on the highway and the fiberglass top squeaks. I bet the tintops don't leak, and are more quiet - I'll know in a week or so when I get an 89 tin top I bought.......

Offline BigPig

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 03:43:03 PM »
I just put a removeable hard top on my 'vert.  I think it will be great.  As for a permanent factory hardtop model?  That would be sweet.  I haven't seen too many, but in Oregon I don't think there would be too many days that you'd cuss not being able to take a top off.  Now Florida may be different. ;)

Oh yeah, I'd be concerned about a rig that was wrenched on by a "mechanic" who lost the freon doing that, unless it was necessary to remove some A/C components in the process.

'89 Sidekick w/ 4.5" of lift.

Offline Yoak

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 10:04:45 PM »
Hard top...w/o a doubt....

They last longer and it is much quiter...

last year my soft top died in winter....

the carpet and electrical I did....well I got to do it again!

Jayzuki

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 12:07:00 AM »
After having a soft top Jeep YJ and a Hard top Jeep YJ I thought I would never have another open top vehicle. Dont get me wrong I really like open top 4x4's but there was too much hassle involved with the tops. The YJ HT is ok and you only need 2 people too remove it but the Jeep and the HT them selfs dont cope well with being taken on and off all the time. Its more of a twice a year thing with the HT, though I took mine off like 4 times in one summer but I had no ST with that Jeep. I am guessing that I wouldnt be saying this about Jeeps but I purchased a Sidekick with a OEM HT and was pretty impressed with the thing. Its a personal opinion but I really dont like ST'S anymore and dont know of a HT that is as good as the Sidekicks. I am sure the new Jeep vehicle Tops are very good and there are alot of very nice designs out there but they are way more expensive than the little Suzuki units.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 12:10:37 AM by Jayzuki »

Offline cj

• I drive a really big ATV
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2006, 02:03:27 AM »
I've had both and the hardtops are more civilised and the soft tops are more an emotional thing. I love having the top off but the hardtops are more practical to my mind. That being said, I have been contemplating getting another soft top 'cause it's a great feeling driving around with no roof but we'll see as I may still go lwb again to.

Offline locjaw

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2006, 10:37:35 AM »
got a 95 soft top and a 95 hard top, problem solved ;D
just havent figured out how to drive both at the same time ;)
jason
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 10:41:56 AM by locjaw »
1995 Sidekick SAS'd "Trail Slayer"
1993 4 door lifted "Road Warrior"
1995 4 door stocker "CreamPuff"

Offline ghd23

• 1990 Tracker softop, Detroit Mi.
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2006, 01:43:29 PM »
heres mine
If I Can't Weld It          It Can't Be Welded

Offline hobgoblin

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2006, 02:30:45 PM »
Hello,

Get the hard top,Convert the ac to R 132 with kit from part store|removethispart|@ $35.I'd like to have a hard top.Like others said,to many sticky fingers.I'd like to put my subs and amp in mine but to much money to chance.

Later Tom K.

Offline tOnKa TrAcKeR

• support our troops
    • Cardomain site
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2006, 02:47:17 PM »
Hello,

Get the hard top,Convert the ac to R 132 with kit from part store|removethispart|@ $35.I'd like to have a hard top.Like others said,to many sticky fingers.I'd like to put my subs and amp in mine but to much money to chance.

Later Tom K.

That'd be R-134 not R132 and yea its alot cheaper 35.00 for the retrofit kit and when you need more 134 is only 6 bux a pound verses 80 or more a pound for R12

lucky for me i have 4 or 5 30lb cylinders of R12 in my garage (perks of workin at a NAPA for 5 years ;D )
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 02:50:35 PM by gmj2fast »

Stand down, MSG Arthur L. Lilley, your mission is now complete, may you rest in eternal peace.

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2006, 02:58:11 PM »
R-12 is worth more than Gold  ;)
Well almost
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline hobgoblin

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2006, 05:17:32 PM »
Sorry,

I was only a few numbers off.....LOL... I'd love to have some R-12 for my 78 Camaro Z-28 used the retro crap and didn't work as good as it did before.R-12 Kicks azz.One shop here had some, almost got 4 cans...Then the other guy came up and said you have to be AC service tech ext. So they wouldn't sell it.I tried a few more times..No luck..Autozone is the place.Someone might get lucky.

Later Tom K.

Offline tOnKa TrAcKeR

• support our troops
    • Cardomain site
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2006, 01:24:05 PM »
Yeah tou have to have a license to buy R-12  theres a HUGE fine if you get caught selling it to someone without a license