Hello Guest

92 Samurai Oil and Tranny Leak

• 0 Replies

Offline VaZuki

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
92 Samurai Oil and Tranny Leak
« on: January 12, 2006, 09:15:10 AM »
Im trying to pinpoint an oil leak on my 92 Samurai. I got my Zookie a few months ago and have had to perform a number of minor repairs to get it to pass the VA inspection but also to make it road worthy as a daily driver.

It has about 105K miles on it. I have to admit, it runs really well but started eating a little oil. No smoke, some knocking/tapping when I accelerate hard. The leak looked like it was coming from the Front Crank and Camshaft Seals. A failing water pump gave me enough reason to go the extra mile and take care of those while I had the timing belt off. There were traces of oil spatter and sludge from both the crank and cam shaft on the timing belt cover. I went ahead and replaced the valve gasket too.

Found that the last owner/mechanic who pulled the valve cover off never put a damn gasket back on!!

Well, all said and done, no more oil coming out of there, but she still has a leak. Enough to where the driverside of the engine and oilpan have that wet slimy look and there is a dribble of oil hanging off the drain plug. Looks like it may be coming from my Oil filter?? But Im wondering if its maybe the exaust manifold gasket just above?

Now my Tranny started slipping, toping off the fluids there and in the transfer case resolved that, but there is clearly a leak at both the T Case and Transmission with splatter marks and wetness coming from where the U-Joint connects to them.

I just want her to last about a year or so more until I have the time and money to do a complete engine and drivetrain swap.

Any experience with these leaks. Are these typical trouble spots?

Va Zookie