Hello Guest

Chrysler was to build a Samurai competitor.

• 42 Replies

Offline HotRod

• 95 Tracker
    • cardomain.
Re: Chrysler was to build a Samurai competitor.
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2006, 05:14:22 PM »
I like the taillights tho ;D
On the Zuki of course.
95 2dr Geo Tracker with Calmini 6"inch combo lift, 32'inch BFGs M/Tlocked and loaded--D.D is my 06 Racy RED Aerio SX AWD

Offline sergi

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2006, 02:53:45 AM »
Dont worry.  You always can buy suzuki of Santana in Spain.  Now (2005-2006) the manufacture of the Vitara under another name has begun:  Santana 300 or 350 (5p)  :o

I bet it still has Santana's dodgy build quality  :(

Of course... VERY dodgy>:( >:( >:( >:(
Suzuki Grand Vitara 3dr TurboDiesel
Barcelona, Europe
Aquesta és la meva màquina. Creus que em pots seguir?

Offline crikeymike

• Local to Western Washington?? Visit WAZUKS.com
    • http://www.wazuks.com
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2006, 04:04:31 PM »
Suzuki could really try and dent the jeep market hard if they had brought the newer model jimny's into the US.  Same size as a samurai, but coil springs, and very similar driveline to the samurai but with a newer style 1.3L, soft top and hard top options, solid front and rear axles, all the good stuff.  They could have sold those better than the samurai's ever sold since they ride so much better.  All they have to do is make them left hand drive for the US and canada and people would buy them.  Their car sales are going ok, but something like a jimny would be really sweet.  Think of all the high schoolers that would get them (parents would buy them cause they're cheap).

See images and stuff here.  http://www.suzuki-samurai.nl/jimny/andere-jimnys/andere-jimnys.html
1993 4-door Sidekick
3" hybrid Calmini/OME lift, 2" B/L, Rear air locker
Shrockworks bar & sliders, Full skid plates
4.24:1 t-case
 WAZUKS member - visit http://www.wazuks.com

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2006, 04:18:22 PM »
Suzuki could really try and dent the jeep market hard if they had brought the newer model jimny's into the US.  Same size as a samurai,

We have a Jimny. Its much bigger than it looks, pretty much the same size as a Track/Kick. The wheelbase is 2" longer than a Track/Kick as well.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline Dihnekis

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2006, 05:55:16 PM »
I'd take one, but I'd buy a jeep if I was buying something new. They are nice, but they just don't look as rugged as a samurai/jeep.

I agree though, we need a true samurai replacement.

Anyone know how strong the jimny's axles are?
1988 Suzuki Samurai

31" BFGs, SPOA, 5.14 Calmini Tcase gears, DOM cage, rock sliders, spidertrax wheels

1.6L, header, and 2" flowmaster exhaust coming soon

Offline sergi

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2006, 02:02:10 AM »
Hi,
Obviuosly the left hand drive Jimny already exists, many are sold in Europe and South America.
I don't think they will ever come to the US, not when the model is already 8 years old... It came out in 1998, so I don't see them coming to the US.
It's true they've got a lot of plastic on them, but it can be removed ;).
I don't see Jimny axles being much stronger than Samurai axles... :(
Suzuki Grand Vitara 3dr TurboDiesel
Barcelona, Europe
Aquesta és la meva màquina. Creus que em pots seguir?

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2006, 02:14:04 AM »
I'd take one, but I'd buy a jeep if I was buying something new. They are nice, but they just don't look as rugged as a samurai/jeep.

I agree though, we need a true samurai replacement.

Anyone know how strong the jimny's axles are?

The diffs are smaller than a Samurai, about the same size as a 410. I'm told that Samurai axles are stronger.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline pcguy

• 1996 Tracker 4x4
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2006, 07:57:35 AM »
I think Chrysler canned the JJ concept due to the small volume expected, and its use of K car floorpan and powetrain components. Even the Chrysler execs of that time recognized how bad the K cars were compared to any other rivals domestic or foreign at the time. The K cars served their purpose during the restructuring of the early eighties, but were severely long in the tooth during the JJ concept development. How many aries etc... do you still see on the road now? I am guessing not too many. They were basic transportation at its worst and not really known for their durability under duress :)

Albeit the JJ was planned to be a direct countermeasure to the samurai, but economics changed and Consumer reports put the nail in the coffin of the samurai stateside.

Offline 1bigtracker

• F*** trail rated, try trail tested
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2006, 05:11:17 PM »
hummm the Suzuki Jimny MOAB,  has a nice ring to it ;D :D

Stu

Offline Carnage

• If you only knew the POWER...
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2006, 05:19:22 PM »

I like the taillights too HotRod!

are they US legal?
anyone know where to find them?
(or do I start another thread)

Offline Maroon Monsoon

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2006, 08:58:55 PM »
that chrystler thing is ugly but I'm upset they didn't make it because we need more off roaders on the market really badly.. sure chrystler does things really wierd and stuff but oh well. Good to see 1st gen kicks still on the market even though the headlights look way too rice. Also, I agree that the jimny could have a really good market in the US. doesn't it not meet US safety ratings or something?

2000 Grand Vitara.. boondox coil spacer lift w/ pro comp 2 inch lift shocks and ome struts. 225/75 R16 Kumho Mt's, powdercoated wheels, rear brake line relocation and stuff to acomodate. custom exhaust and intake along with some 1 off accesories.

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2006, 04:36:16 AM »
doesn't it not meet US safety ratings or something?

No.

Do a search on this forum for Jimny.  There was a big, long thread about it that ended fairly recently.  We discussed this.

Offline Maroon Monsoon

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2006, 11:59:08 AM »
yea, i think I was reading that one, I was pretty sure there was something said about the jimny not meeting safety standards in the US but I wasn't sure.
2000 Grand Vitara.. boondox coil spacer lift w/ pro comp 2 inch lift shocks and ome struts. 225/75 R16 Kumho Mt's, powdercoated wheels, rear brake line relocation and stuff to acomodate. custom exhaust and intake along with some 1 off accesories.