Hello Guest

Tow Bar Mounts

• 5 Replies

Offline ADavis

• Aaron's Webpage
Tow Bar Mounts
« on: May 16, 2006, 09:26:19 AM »
Hey all,

I am about to purchase a tow bar and would like to see how some of you have them mounted/bolted to the front.  I am looking at the typical A-frame tow bar but several have mounting plates and others just bolt through the from cross-member or frame (not sure).  So, what type of mounting system are you folks using?

Thanks
Aaron

Offline Digger

• 1996 Suzuki X-90 4X4
Re: Tow Bar Mounts
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 01:23:07 PM »
I don't have a tow bar, but I do know that the front bumper rebar(the steel part under the plastic skin) is only held on the front of the frame by 4 12mm bolts(you use a 12mm wrench to tighten/loosen them). This is not the strongest setup to rely on for towing your truck. Whatever you go with, make sure it's attached more securely than just to the bumper...
Had a cool sig pic till I changed the text... sigh...
90 Tracker: "Silver", 2" BL, 1-1/2" Coil Spacers, Strut mount flip, Calmini Header, Winch, 31" Swamper radials, Sold.
98 Suzuki X-90: Calmini 2" Sus, 1-1/4" whl spcrs, 2" Exhaust, Cobra Safari Bar, Neon, Sold.
96 Suzuki X-90: Mostly stock daily driver(for now)

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 02:48:00 PM »
search for towbar at

Ack's FAQ (Beta Version)

for a universal towbar mounting project.  You may need to adapt it a bit if you want to retain the original bumper. 

As others have pointed out, it is unsafe to attach ANY towbar directly to the Samurai bumper because it is very flimsy!  There are a set of bolt holes on the end of the frame that can be used to attach a mounting bracket to.  You'll find a tie-down point is bolted to one of these sets of holes.

All you need to do is fab a bracket appropriate to the towbar that you buy that will bolt up to those frame mounting holes.

Hope this helps!
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

Offline ADavis

• Aaron's Webpage
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 08:26:08 PM »
thanks for the advice, the bumpers are rather flimsy.  I actually don't have a bumper, so I would be mounting it to the frame somewhere.  I'm still curious to see how other have mounted them.  I'm not sure if I should drill out some holes and mount bar attachments or go with the style that has a whole long bracket that goes across the front.
Aaron

Offline Digger

• 1996 Suzuki X-90 4X4
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 08:41:34 PM »
What I was planning on doing with the Goblin's bumper was to add a pair of shackle mounts that would double as tow bar mounts for flat towing to the front of the winch bumper I made for it. I just haven't gotten around to it yet... The bumper is thick-walled 5" square tube mounted to the frame with 8 heavy bolts...
Had a cool sig pic till I changed the text... sigh...
90 Tracker: "Silver", 2" BL, 1-1/2" Coil Spacers, Strut mount flip, Calmini Header, Winch, 31" Swamper radials, Sold.
98 Suzuki X-90: Calmini 2" Sus, 1-1/4" whl spcrs, 2" Exhaust, Cobra Safari Bar, Neon, Sold.
96 Suzuki X-90: Mostly stock daily driver(for now)

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 06:02:50 AM »
thanks for the advice, the bumpers are rather flimsy.  I actually don't have a bumper, so I would be mounting it to the frame somewhere.  I'm still curious to see how other have mounted them.  I'm not sure if I should drill out some holes and mount bar attachments or go with the style that has a whole long bracket that goes across the front.

Here are a few pics from the search site that I recommended:

Here's a pic of my bumper with the mounts welded on plus the original mounting brackets re-fabbed so that I can use my towbar on any Samurai that I may buy and tow in the future...  They are sitting on top of the bumper.

Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com