Hello Guest

06 grand vitara

• 9 Replies

Offline 1lowgeo

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
    • Outlandish Trends
06 grand vitara
« on: January 08, 2006, 06:21:35 PM »
what does everyone think of the new 06 vitaras? i stopped by the suzuki dealership tonight and checked them out, i like the new body style. the dealership was closed so i didnt get to check the inside out but looked cool from the outside. and the v6 in them has 185 hp. not too bad. they have a good price too, the fully loaded one was like 24g. 
Mike
1997 Geo Tracker GSI  4dr 4x2
1995 Suzuki Sidekick JLX 4dr 4x4

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
Re: 06 grand vitara
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 08:28:05 PM »
Car with a transfer case and no skid plating.  Okay if your idea of offroading is a dirt road or sand dunes but if you plan on dragging it down anything with rocks or just stuff waiting to grab the undersides...it isn't ideal.  That and it gets even worse mpg than my first gen GV with a V6.  You also have to buy the 2 highest trim levels to get low range, otherwise it's just AWD.

Look around, they haven't gotten sterling reviews from anyone.  None of the 4x4 mags liked it much, the review here on Zukiworld wasn't overly positive, and most of us don't think much of it as well.  Hate to say it but Suzuki is leaving the offroading world for more yuppies.

If you want to lift and wheel it, go with an '05 and down.

Offline Zukipilot

• stretch the limits of reality!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 04:12:40 AM »
From what I remember all of the reviews gave the Samurai, Sidekick, Tracker and X-90 bad reviews :-\ So keep that in mind when reading what "they" think.

Zig
Zukipilot
'92 Liberty Overland Sidekick

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 03:57:37 PM »
Let me rephrase some of what I said.

None of the reviews I mentioned had anything positive to say about it offroad and none compared it favorably to the previous models offroad either.  Oh, and I only read 4x4 and offroad based auto magazines, I have no clue what Car & Driver thinks, nor do I care. ::)

Where the hell did Zukiworld's review of it go?  Can't seem to find it in the archive...

Offline charlesk

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 06:44:24 PM »
Where the hell did Zukiworld's review of it go?  Can't seem to find it in the archive...

here: http://www.zukiworld.com/month_090105/feature_2006grandvitara.htm

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 07:16:15 PM »
There we go.  As you can see...after they finish repeating the Suzuki wordage they basically say it's not that great offroad unless you plan on just going down 2 tracks and not that challenging stuff.

Offline charlesk

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 04:44:24 PM »
There we go.  As you can see...after they finish repeating the Suzuki wordage they basically say it's not that great offroad unless you plan on just going down 2 tracks and not that challenging stuff.

This is all true. But it will still make a nice, beautifully finished little multi-purpose vehicle with more off-road ability than most of its competitors.

But as I said in another thread, I think that the days of Suzuki providing cheap 'real' off-roaders are over, at least in the developed world. Suzuki is a company, and companies have to make money or dissapear. And it looks as if they've done their research - the increase in sales figures since the launch of the new vehicles suggest that there is quite a lot of pent-up demand for a vehicle with more capability and better pricing/aesthetics than the Rav4 and CR-V, but with less hard-core off-road ability than previous Vit generations. But it does have skid plating. :)

It is a shame. But they're all doing it. Seen the Jeep Compass recently? The first Jeep with 2wd, and the first that couldn't possibly be trail rated, and that from a company which previously made nothing but off-roaders. The only real 4wd company that I can think of that is still making nothing but off-road capable vehicles is Landrover, and I bet it is just a matter of time before they succumb too.

As for me, I'm sold on the new GV, and mine is being delivered in the next few weeks. I won't be taking it on anything rougher than my father-in-law's cattle property, and the beach though.  And for off-road work I'm holding on to my Defender, never mind what the wife might think :).

Offline Maroon Monsoon

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 10:09:06 PM »
yea, I am really dissapointed that they got rid of all the off road friendly aspects the previous vitara's/GV's/escudo's had... I think they should have kept a vehicle that actually has a frame and had the 06 GV named something else as an extra vehicle for them to make money off of.. at least it's better than a CRV, thank god for that, would be sad if it wasn't. They are good vehicles for what they are made for, but i am really upset to see that pretty much every company is going for what the main crowd wants primarily. it's like auto hubs and push button 4 wheel drive and air activated front diffs, it's all crap for off road but good for the average consumer.. I don't think there is anything on the market that I would buy right now as far as a 4 wheel drive vehicle, I'd go used

new GV's are all good though for many things and the 185 horse power is probably more power than my 2.5 litre with custom exhaust and modified intake.. cant' say they are gutless
2000 Grand Vitara.. boondox coil spacer lift w/ pro comp 2 inch lift shocks and ome struts. 225/75 R16 Kumho Mt's, powdercoated wheels, rear brake line relocation and stuff to acomodate. custom exhaust and intake along with some 1 off accesories.

Offline eaglescout

• We Love Our Zuki
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2006, 09:00:15 AM »
took ours thru some clay type mud did excellant .clay is hards to get traction in. would like to see the 4 mode available in the premium addition
Hello from the Eaglesnest

Offline Element

• LillyKicker
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2006, 06:59:37 PM »
I just purchased the 06 GV a couple of weeks ago! Diggin' it! I use it for light offroad driving for work  along with everyday errand running. I am looking forward to some aftermarket mods... seems like the 1-2 inch lift may have to be custom. I am having it looked at next week for some fab. of parts for the lift, I will let you all know. I was told the owner of Rocky Road Outfitters is working on a lift. The service guy at West Valley Suzuki let me aware of that...So we will see!!!!!
Jerry                                                               Member since:   May 14, 2006

zUkTAH
U4WDA