Hello Guest

looking at buying an XL-7

• 9 Replies

sapien

looking at buying an XL-7
« on: January 28, 2006, 06:40:42 PM »
found a 2001 XL7 4WD/AT "Plus" model, asking price is $8500
looks to be in real good shape, just 44K miles on it, new tires

what do you guys think of the price?  anything I should watch out for?  thanks for any advice!

Offline xoffroad

• PaWheelers
Re: looking at buying an XL-7
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 09:28:17 AM »
Price is good. These trucks are pretty much indestructable from a daily drivers staindpoint. However open the oil cap and look for black sludge. I've run synthetic in my 04 since new and with 36k miles I can see shiny aluminum in my oil cap, and I mean SHINY!

Problem is this motor will probably outlast me at this point so no chance on upgrading...

Engine was designed by Mazda, produced under license by Suzuki. It's a good motor! Tranny in an 01 I beleive is a GM designed unit so it's tough. Check the CV joints for boot tears though as that's the only thing I'd worry about other than the oil sludge.

sapien

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 12:35:31 PM »
thanks I'm going to see it tomorrow so I'll check for those things, as well as any leaks, unusual noises, condition of tranny fluid, undercarriage, etc. etc.
I suspect it has not seen any offroad use so I'm betting it's a cream puff  :)

sapien

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 12:36:32 PM »
also I was noticing that the 2001 was 170 HP and later models got bumped up to 183-185 HP.  any idea what changed or improved on the 2.7L?

Offline xoffroad

• PaWheelers
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 09:09:33 AM »
Exhaust was enlarged. 2.7L vs 2.5L.

You think that makes a diff. Run Synthetic oil. when new I was getting about 21mpg, after putting in Synthetic oil I was getting 24mpg. Did the t-case and Rear diff with Syn and it was up to 25mpg.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 10:45:36 AM by xoffroad »

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 03:03:49 PM »
Exhaust was enlarged. 2.7L vs 2.5L.

Ummm, yes, the exhaust was enlarged and that is where the power came from but I fail to see what the engine displacement has to do with it.  All US model XL7's had the 2.7L as far as I remember.
You think that makes a diff. Run Synthetic oil. when new I was getting about 21mpg, after putting in Synthetic oil I was getting 24mpg. Did the t-case and Rear diff with Syn and it was up to 25mpg.
Honestly I've done the same in my GV and haven't noticed a difference.  I run it simply for it's better lubrication, cold weather, and wear properties.

sapien

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 07:44:34 PM »
so you're saying I should look to put a K&N and a bigger-diameter exhaust on there... any suggestions?  does any company make aftermarket ones for the XL7?

so far I am pleased with the power/acceleration and gas mileage.  over 20 mpg on my first tank and that is predominantly just commuting to & from work.  so I'm sure it will do very nicely on a highway trip  :)

Offline the_maplebar

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 07:24:22 AM »
Run Synthetic oil. when new I was getting about 21mpg, after putting in Synthetic oil I was getting 24mpg. Did the t-case and Rear diff with Syn and it was up to 25mpg.

Are you using just any Synth oil or a premium brand?
2002 4DR Tracker V6 ZR2.... 1.5"/2" coil spacers front/rear, BDS Strut Extensions, 235/75R15 Cooper STT... They ROCK!!!
http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=35.msg111575#msg111575[/url]

Offline xoffroad

• PaWheelers
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 11:53:58 AM »
Mobil 1, full synth. Run it in all 4 vehicles. Our Saab requires it, the rest just run better with it.

Sorry, looking at Mazda specs on the 1.8L-2.7L engine... Since that's were it comes from.

http://www.puresuzuki.com/exhaust_system1.htm

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/427180/5

« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 12:01:37 PM by xoffroad »

Offline AJMBLAZER

• Your mom.
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 07:05:16 PM »
With our GV all I did was buy a 2" in/out Magnaflow muffler (absolutely straight through, no baffles, chambers, etc to mess with the exhaust) and have a local muffler shop put it up there in place of the factory garbage can of a muffler.  I beleive the factory pipes are stainless steel and they are pretty well setup.  We got a noticeably seat of the pants increase and it's got a nice pleasant growl to it now.

Something similar would cost you half of what Calmini's crap costs.  HINT: do a search for Calmini, exhaust, and muffler.  Their systems don't seem to be made that well as I have heard several comments about them rusting off in just two or so winters.  Might go longer in warmer climates.

Not that there are many bolt on engine mods for Suzukis anyways but remember that other than a freer breathing and exhaling engine there isn't much you can "bolt on" to make big power short of a turbo or supercharger.