Hello Guest

Cv shaft troubles again.....

• 20 Replies

Offline ppltrak

• zukspeed staff
    • zukspeed.com
Re: Cv shaft troubles again.....
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2005, 04:33:16 AM »
Hey Racer, Does it happen only on the left side? It looks "in the pic." that it is way to short.  Also it looks as if you have the spring under a load and the axle is still too short. You could make a spacer, but if it's only on one side I'd say that your front diff. has been pushed to the pass. side. I hope that helps.

Kevin
94 purple/green splash tracker w/ calmini 3' heavly modified lift 32 11.5 r15 bfg m/t's  & custom air induction and header w/ 2"exh. no cat lockrite rear 2" B/L and a heavy right foot and now 583s steel up front and locked.
2002 GV 2.5l 4.5 ZN lift locked on 31's

Offline trackermad

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2005, 05:35:18 AM »
The CV shaft on the left side should be slightly longer than the one on the pass side.  Is there a chance you got one with the shorter shaft?  Also if memory serves the Part of the outer CV that goes on the shaft is offset slightly and can be put on either way making the shaft longer or shorter depending on which way it is put on the spline.  Now you have me thinking Im going to have to look at one of my spares tonight.  Was that shaft you put in brand new or rebuilt?
"First of all: what is work? Work is of two kinds: first, altering the position of matter at or near the earth's surface relatively to other such matter; second, telling other people to do so."  ~Bertrand Russell

Offline Speedracer7c

• Guess she ain't stock no more!
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2005, 08:52:37 AM »

Are you saying that you put a spacer in on top of the larger front coil springs I sent you?

No i didn't put a coil spacer in. I was asking if I put a spacer in the cv flange to push it out more if that woudl solve my problem.
93 sammy 5 inch calmini lift 31" ltbs locked rear

Offline Speedracer7c

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2005, 08:53:51 AM »
 Was that shaft you put in brand new or rebuilt?

It was rebuilt  :-/
I have another one coming for tomorrow if i run into the same problem i'm not even going to bother trying to run it. I just don't understand why the stock one lasted so long if i'm having all these problems now.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 08:54:34 AM by speedracer7c »

Offline lil_Truck

• Eric Gardner
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2005, 03:51:04 AM »
Before I knew better I replaced mine with a rebuilt one from Auto Zone.

First one lasted a long time.  The rebuilt ones don't.  Try going to a junk yard and get a a used one and try it.

As for a spacer, I think it would work if you can find no other problems.  Take the spring out and reassemble.  Jack up the control arm untill the shaft is level with the floor.  You can now measure the thickness of the spacer you will need before the shaft will bottom out.  Leave yourself around a 1/2" so that as the front end floats around (everything is rubber mounted) you won't bottom out the shaft and try to shove the housing out the other side.

e-mail: liltruck|removethispart|@comcast.net
96 Tracker
6" Calimini Lift with custom Frame
32 MTR's Warn 8000i
Front/Rear ARB's Many New Mods soon.

Offline Speedracer7c

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2005, 05:46:39 AM »
I got a spacer on the way that should work.  ;)