Hello Guest

Exhaust upgrade post mortem

• 0 Replies

Offline Z3bra

Exhaust upgrade post mortem
« on: October 01, 2003, 02:46:58 PM »
Well did the 2"/Calmini Header/Magnaflow install over the weekend.  Turned out very well.  I'm not seeing gobs of power as a result but it's a little better and the automatic is definitely shifting better and I'm no longer getting pinging when I floor it.

When pulling the old stock iron manifold it turns out that it was slightly cracked and leaking on the #1 runner where it joins the rest of the runners, but just a little bit.  Not sure why but I'll be keeping an eye on the header just the same.  

The old muffler was making a rattling noise after we pulled it, so probably not a bad thing ditching that either.  ( Probably some loose muffler bearings no doubt  ;) )  

The old Catalyst didn't seem to be too plugged up but the new one I put in is quite a bit bigger so that probably won't hurt the flow anyway.  Turns out it's a Catco and they supposedly flow pretty well.  Can't beat the price of free either.

Anyway after starting it briefly with just the open header it was nice and loud as expected.  I was a bit concerned the straight through magnaflow would be loud and ricey sounding but my friend who did the welding and I were both very surprised how quiet it is.  I've got to say the magnaflow 5x8 oval straight through definitely does it's job well.  It's kinda heavy as far as mufflers go.  I think a good chunk of that weight is tied up in sound absorbing material and the noise level at the tailpipe definitely supports the statement.  I'd definitely recommend this if you want a good flowing muffler.  Not sure how the 3x7 or the 4x9 ovals would work, might be a bit louder but probably not too much worse.  It also turns out that the 18" one I thought I ordered was only a 14" model so the 18" would be even quieter.  

Anyway as DSHornet mentioned, the collector flange on the Calmini header isn't straight or level. It points down and probably 3-5 degrees toward the centerline of the vehicle.  Not a big deal but it seems like there's plenty of room under there that calmini could straighten it out considering they're one of the two companies that regularly make this part.  Not a big deal but it adds a small amount of unnecessary difficulty to installing the system and would probably be pretty easy to fix by modifying the jig they use.

Anyway that's pretty much the review.  Definitely better as far as the transmission shifting, slightly better accelleration particularly once you hit the 3000 rpm mark, and definitely a bit more aggressive sounding without being high pitched or loud enough to set off car alarms or get people to try to race you all the time.  Once I get off my lazy butt and make a website I'll get the pics of it up  as it's installed.  It's not pretty as it's got about 15 butt welds holding the various pieces of tubing and sections of 180 degree mandrel bends we used to put it together, but hey it works and that's what really counts anyway.